collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mike(swWash)gold01ca

Dot Guests: 172 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12397
  • stats Total Posts: 124036
  • stats Total Topics: 17013
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: Used Minelab GPX 4500 Vs Whites TDI pro and Gold bug 2 combo  (Read 1666 times)

Offline EMC

• Kudos: 1
Used Minelab GPX 4500 Vs Whites TDI pro and Gold bug 2 combo
« on: October 22, 2016, 02:53:59 AM »
Hello,

As the title says,
Used Minelab GPX 4500 Vs Whites TDI pro and Gold bug 2 combo new.

I am considering my options and trying to work out which setup I would get the most value for money and most suited to my prospecting being a complete novice.  <-party->

Do I buy a second hand GPX 4500 or buy a whites TDI pro and gold bug 2 new for similar money.
I plan on visiting Australia and USA at some point but will mainly be detecting in Europe where its mostly small gold, 

My idea was to use the TDI pro in areas where the Gold bug 2 may suffer from Iron masking and hot ground . And use the GB2 in areas with pr oven small gold and not so hot soil types.
What do you think would be best? I like the fact with the combo I have a wider search range for multiple soil types. 

Has anyone used a TDI pro? 

How steep is the learning curve on GB2?

what would be the advantage of the GPX 4500 over the combo?

I would be mainly detecting bedrock in non trashy areas and small gullies with a moderate level of hot ground some areas much hotter with also the odd trip to Australia.
what would you do?
I have also looked into the Nokta golden sense, the AU finder, Forz gold plus.
But the GB2 and the TDI pro seem to be the direction I'm heading,

thanks in advance

( I am new to detecting and have no experience with a  gold specific detector )

Offline diamond jim

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 4
Re: Used Minelab GPX 4500 Vs Whites TDI pro and Gold bug 2 combo
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 06:42:45 AM »
I think the TDI Pro has been discontinued.
Jim

Offline deadwood

• DEADWOOD
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Leduc County
  • Kudos: 32
  • DEADWOOD
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 12:12:10 PM »
Hi EMC,well for the money GB2 kicks butt.I can't say enough about MineLab,if you have the dollars,always go that way.But as you say small golds in mineralized area's GB2 does struggle if you don't know your machine.There is an iron discrim switch that if you put a piece of rubber cap on ,I used a rubber cap from a metal barbecue roasting stick.This saves your thumb from rough metal edged switch.I can't tell you how many times the gb2 has paid itself off.Yes in hot rock area's! The machine not being a pulse induction like the minelab.The minelab will get you deeper targets plus gold the gb2 missed.This would be rare.Maybe in the land down under but not here in the good old north.The biggest hurdle is the learning curve of listening for the low zip zip zip sound.This is very hard for some to hear.Thus they never do figure out the gb2.I would say it is the easiest detect I have ever owned to figure out.Owning 6 detect is a character flaw of my own doing.Why do I say this,well I usually don't use any of em other than the gb2.
DEADWOOD

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 29
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:34:47 AM »
I would get the Minelab, plus additional coils and a Gold Screamer.  In fact, that is what I mostly use (GPX5000).  The only drawback is it is heavy.  Learn the one machine and trust it.  FYI - There is no such thing as non-trashy areas.  I have not used the GBII, but have a GB Pro with two coils, and it is a decent machine.  However, my go to detector is the GPX.
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA