collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

KenKlondikeparadigmshift

Dot Guests: 148 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12259
  • stats Total Posts: 121885
  • stats Total Topics: 16743
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 743

Author Topic: Diamond indicators  (Read 453 times)

Offline creekhound

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 0
  • some yellow
Diamond indicators
« on: October 20, 2016, 01:56:10 PM »
Hello all it's been a long time since my last post..

I have been doing a bunch of research lately on the clusters of diatremes in south east bc.
I was wondering if anyone on here has ever propected these pipes for spinel or chrome diopside ect.
Most of them have no diamonds but I was wondering if it would be worth while mining the indicators minerals as some of them are gaining steam in the gemstone world. Such as spinel, green chrome diopside, zircon,ect

Just wondering what you all think..

Offline diamond jim

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 4
Re: Diamond indicators
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 07:02:39 PM »
You might make a few bucks if you can gem find quality material larger than a couple of carats. I brought home 23 carats of chrome diopside, from Wyoming, in just one trip. The largest was over 5 carats. The problem with CD is that as the gems get larger, they're so dark they don't have much brilliance.....not enough light transmission. The best finished stones in CD are about 1-2 carats. If you find pyrope garnets larger than a couple of carats, they make a really nice finished gem...very brilliant. In the area I've been working there are very few garnets large enough to finish out larger than 1 carat. Whatever you find, post a few pics....I'd love to see it.

Jim

Offline diamond jim

• PPT Invited
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 07:26:48 PM »
Here's a pic of the Cd I've been finding in Wyoming.
P5160008 (1024x768).jpg
And, some of the pyrope garnet
P5160008 (1024x768).jpg

Offline diamond jim

• PPT Invited
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 07:33:44 PM »
LOL...obviously I don't have the hang of the pic posting...tried to do two in one post, which didn't work. Here's the CD....the others were mostly garnets, with a sprinkling of CD.
P9120015.JPG

Offline creekhound

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 0
  • some yellow
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 10:31:31 AM »
Hey Jim Thank you for the reply..
Yes I hear with CD you need big stones as in cutting you will lose a bunch of material..
Do you cut any of your stones?? If so do you have any pictures of them..
Do yo ever find any spinel or peridot in your cons??

I won't have any pictures till next year as all the diatremes around here I won't be able to get to till next year now as the snow is here now...

Offline diamond jim

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 05:44:26 PM »
I've faceted some of the garnet. Haven't done any Cd yet. Might get to that this winter. CD takes a lot of care....not much out there about how to do it. Very brittle. I'm weathered out of most of my areas, too. I'll be heading down to the southern Nevada area after the 1st of the year...chasing down an old story about diamonds.
Jim