collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dhodgins

Dot Guests: 282 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13064
  • stats Total Posts: 131804
  • stats Total Topics: 18417
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: What metal alloy is 4 times harder than titanium?  (Read 4288 times)

Offline PeachlandJoe

• Kudos: 11
What metal alloy is 4 times harder than titanium?
« on: August 01, 2016, 01:13:34 AM »

Offline kcm

• Province/State: NW Minnesota
  • Kudos: 31
Re: What metal alloy is 4 times harder than titanium?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 07:56:38 AM »
WOW! THAT'S AMAZING!!  <-yahoo_>

Looks like the price of gold is about to skyrocket!! Thanks for the heads-up Joe.  {cool^sign}

kcm
The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 145
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 07:15:20 PM »
Good post Joe.but I think its been around for awhile.According to my wife,There is a whole lot of extremly hard metal where my brain should be.Just saying, Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline kcm

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 09:18:32 PM »
I don't get it. Why aren't more folks thrilled about this?? The more uses for gold, the more demand there will be. The more demand, the higher the price goes.

4x's harder than Titanium?? We already know Medical is interested. What are the military applications? What about equipment? Or production?

The new metal uses 25% gold - that's a good chunk.

Is it just me, or....what am I missing here?!?!?

kcm
The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 09:53:11 PM »
Hey Keith you aint missing anything .Yes it will create a demand for more gold.Why do think Chiana and India are sitting on tons of the stuff.Our govt.officials are to busy filling their bank accounts  with our pennies to see the writing on the wall.Take some time but the price will go up.Luck Mcbain.

Offline PeachlandJoe

• Kudos: 11
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:07:09 PM »
I wonder how it would cope if it were used on excavator buckets? It's a pity the article did not state an actual measure of hardness, i.e. Vickers, Rockwell, Brinell, Shore Knoop etc.. It would have been handy to be able to compare it like for like with other metals/alloys. Saying that, I think that the fact that the body tends to cope with both gold and titanium better than other alternatives pretty-much ensures that the medical industry will be the biggest user.

Also, if you read the related articles of the research, you would have spotted the research that led to discovering that gold and titanium mixed can actually turn into a magnet. Yes, you read that right. Here's the link: http://phys.org/news/2015-07-combined-titanium-gold-itinerant-antiferromagnetic.html#nRlv

Offline steelman

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 9
Re: What metal alloy is 4 times harder than titan
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 01:00:32 PM »
Very cool however I mentioned to a surgeon friend of mine about the find and he imediatly said this..." Some people cant have gold in them, a decent ammount of the population rejects gold. Thats why they like titanium. ".  Not sure how the alloy would due. Just a thought I guess.

Also found out that my grandpa had to have gold fillings in his Teeth removed because his body was rejecting them.

Offline kcm

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 04:13:34 PM »
Interesting. Guess I "should do a little more research on that. ...Then again, it wouldn't help me one way or another.  [^Crazy!#]

kcm

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 06:21:02 PM »
Very cool however I mentioned to a surgeon friend of mine about the find and he imediatly said this..." Some people cant have gold in them, a decent ammount of the population rejects gold. Thats why they like titanium. ".  Not sure how the alloy would due. Just a thought I guess.

Also found out that my grandpa had to have gold fillings in his Teeth removed because his body was rejecting them.
Very true.A lot of folks can not even wear gold jewelery.without a reaction.Had I known that the first Wife would have got Lead.Luck Mcbain.

Offline kcm

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 01:37:29 AM »
Very true.A lot of folks can not even wear gold jewelery.without a reaction.Had I known that the first Wife would have got Lead.Luck Mcbain.

Neck collars don't count.  lol!!!@* lol!!!@* <-laugh-> lol!!!@* lol!!!@* lol!!!@*

kcm