collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

CMMC

Dot Guests: 178 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13067
  • stats Total Posts: 131900
  • stats Total Topics: 18427
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: arsenopyrite and ?  (Read 5827 times)

Offline 605dano

• Kudos: 1
arsenopyrite and ?
« on: July 01, 2016, 04:14:54 PM »
I have been finding rocks while out metal detecting that overload my detector and  register in the 40's on the ID. They are very hot and I cannot get the coil closer than a foot or two. Even my pocket pinpointer  can only get within 3 or 4 inches of them before going off. When I bust them open I find abundant arsenopyrite. They have a nasty sulfide smell. Looking at them under magnification I see either gold or pyrite I'm not sure which. There is pyrite present, but I wonder if some of it is gold. I also see blue veins and spots that I presume to be cobalt. What do you think?

Offline mentalcoincoin

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: B.C.
  • Kudos: 21
  • Tip Of The $pear
Re: arsenopyrite and ?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 05:56:49 PM »
I must ask if your picture is done with a USB  scope with bright LED light? Why because the white light causes silver colors to look blue.and can mask the real silver color by making it look blue.Pyrite can taint and produce different colors,some looking like bornite. If your not seeing etching then chalcopyrite is maybe in the fray as well as some bornite. Chalco in my area is frustrating because of the gold type color mad@!# <-frustrated->when all mixed up makes finding any gold impossible. Remember the scratch test,using a magnet to see if magnetite is in the mix.Bottom line and it sucks,any time you have pyrite,you can have gold present that you cannot see with the eye. I can  not tell from pic,is any of the sulphide showing triangle shaping or tetrahedral? to your eye is the sulphide color or even the veins Blue or silver?
http://rruff.info/doclib/hom/arsenopyrite.pdf

Offline kcm

• Province/State: NW Minnesota
  • Kudos: 31
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 09:45:41 PM »
Dude, you need a manicure!  <-shock_>        lol!!!@* lol!!!@* lol!!!@* lol!!!@*

Ah, beautiful pics! Makes me wonder what it might have been like in the old days when such things were much more abundant. Can't wait for you to get tearing into that vein, though! That's gonna be real interesting to see.

MCC, thanks for the heads-up on the LED lighting. I have a new USB microscope (sent the 1st one back!) that does a good job - clear pics. Can turn off the LED and use natural or incandescent lighting, which is nice. Will be posting some pics hopefully tomorrow.

kcm
The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination.

Offline 605dano

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 08:14:40 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Yes MC I used the usb and the led light. The pics though are pretty much what you see with your naked eye. Lots of silvery arseno, but also some yellows and blues. Its a nasty sulfide ore. Just handling it makes your fingers reek. I find it around with the detector and drag it home and am getting a pile of it. I don't know why I keep it. Curious I guess. There were some mines around that mined this, and some had good grades, but the ore bodies were small. Ore hunter I am curious about how effective the falcon detector is. I have a low sulfide hard rock claim that I have been trying find gold on and am wondering if the falcon would help? I have had some assays that have shown gold is present in the quartz, but have not seen much visible gold. Do you you use it on the rock or in the soil around the vein and how small of piece does it detect? Before I start digging on a vein I would ike to know if I'm in an good spot or if the vein is barren. Any insights would be welcome.

Offline mentalcoincoin

• PPT Invited
  • Tip Of The $pear
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 08:57:58 AM »
Notice the rich buttery color of the gold.Yes indeed its color stands alone.In my prospecting I have seen an abundance of gold colored chalcopyrite  in every shade. Once your eye see's true gold,only then can you see the difference and it seems to imprint in one's mind. I have heard many a time especially by the old timers,the mention of its color liken to butter. For me,and I have only had few chances to see it,the "Luminescence"(the glow)of gold is the identifier that stands out the most in my mind.When you see pic's such as yours Ore Hunter there no mistaken that.  For me, it's when you have the hodge podge mix of Pyrite/chalcopyrite/pyrrohotite/gothite/magnetite all mixed together in a host rock making spotting gold especially if its minute almost impossible. So I guess owning a mine detector as I'm learning could help straighten that matter out.I was reading some where where gold can be in the nano scale, mixed in with the likes of gothite/limonite in a rock as  a very fine powder,where  washing the sample may very well wash the gold away. <~ShOcK~>
20130512193913.jpg
Here's some  very gold  colored chalco under the brite white LED light.
Difference: it shines  Gold : Glows   
20130128095116.jpg
Here's my claim to fame lol!!!@*  Even so,I will never forget that glow <-thinking->

Offline mentalcoincoin

• PPT Invited
  • Tip Of The $pear
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 01:59:21 PM »
That tiny micro piece of gold is from some cons that BuckshotBob gave me to pan when he was out this way to our left coast.  It appeared like course pyrite crushed tailings. He told me if I pan it I would find gold,and if I found the gold I was doing well and would be more experienced in future panning to find fine gold. First 2-3 times I got nothing and thought he was mistaken <-thinking->and there was nothing but pyrite. So I kept trying until I took the gold pan just about straight up and down washing the last of the pyrite and what I thought was everything from the pan.Low and behold there in the crease of the pan was a small tail of fine gold about 3/8 inch long by maybe 1/32 wide. Bob was right,it was hard to get at the gold!I learned ,I seen the luminescence,and I remember.I do believe though it  was a great  hands on learning experience for a guy like me(gold virgin <-laugh->),who has  seen very little physical gold,and I'm thankful to him for my first gold {-applause-}.I've done well with my claims holding great Cu content and Ag and gold is in the old assays being 6-8gr/ton.Maybe one day I will see some with this powerful scope I get to use,but I won't hold my breath.Keep postin those pic's guys,these threads are a great place for info.And 605dano sound like you got a great area to prospect.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 146
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 07:53:11 PM »
Hey Paul great pics.Just the color and shape do not resemple pyrite.First good pics I would have guessed on.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline 605dano

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 02:40:56 PM »
So would you say that the Falcon has a harder time with oxides than sulfides? My claim has lots of iron oxides but low sulfides, at least on the surface. Would the Falcon detector help me find gold in this environment? Here are some of the rocks I've picked out of veins to look at. Might look at buying a Falcon if the price isn't to high. I am not finding much with my Fors Gold detector. Assays say there is some gold there. It might all be micron, but a local mine with similar looking ore had some very high grade with lots of specimen gold so am keeping my hopes up.
On another note I found what I thought to be limonite on quartz, but was in a rock shop the other day and seen some orpiment that looked very similar. What do you think?

Offline Norbert77

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 03:54:38 PM »
Some float quartz from my placer claim already gone over with the GMT detector. Going over it again with the Falcon detector.
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The piece of quartz that sounded off for gold with the Falcon MD20

The black/orange sulfide spots where the gold is detected

Does that unit actually differentiate gold from other metals?

Offline Norbert77

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 05:52:27 PM »
Read the whole thread Norbert and you will find your answer  ;)

Touché!

I have a goldbug 2 and can't get the sucker to differentiate