collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

IdahoGoldGettRmike(swWash)Dhodginschekaracanada

Dot Guests: 252 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13016
  • stats Total Posts: 131029
  • stats Total Topics: 18328
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: GPS  (Read 5241 times)

Offline kcm

• Province/State: NW Minnesota
  • Kudos: 31
Re: GPS
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 04:29:38 AM »
That's funny!

Not sure if it still happens, but in the past, most GPS units sitting on our place show that they're up in Canada somewhere.  <-dont~know->

kcm
The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 138
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 06:23:38 PM »
Hi.Keith.I have fun with this.Mto wants gps cords on a claim.Just  look at their screwed up maps and the fighting that goes on when no 2 units read the same.This is happening often.Try to imagine a air liner pilot or ships captian telling folks buckle up we will be landing/docking in Tim buck 2 in 5 minutes.Sorry folks we got to ditch apparantly Tim buck 2  has moved elsewhere.It is a lot like any electronic device these days.Cell phone, computor.T.V.,thermostat or fridge,Home door locks.If it is electronic they can hack it and rape you.Why mess with a gps?Just becuase they can and they get great enjoy ment out of messing with folks.Lets say you used a gps unit to check your property bdys.Bingo you just been recorded on a hackers computer.Fairly safe unless you got something to steal.and believe me they will steal it eventually.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline kcm

• Province/State: NW Minnesota
  • Kudos: 31
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 09:00:56 PM »
Yep, but one day it's going to be so accurate that it'll be the only accepted means of marking a claim. ...Not sure I wanna live THAT long though!  <-laugh->

In more built-up places, another technology that's coming up in ranks is getting coordinates via triangulation using cell towers. Is very precise in most areas. Unfortunately, not a lot of cell towers in most mining areas.

kcm
The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination.

Offline flake

• Province/State: Sask
  • Kudos: 5
Flake
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 09:18:54 PM »
I use an app called maps brut. It saves  tiles  from Google Earth so you can use them offline. It's not on Google play  but if you email  me I'll  send you a copy. I also  use an app called Canada Maps off Google play. Maps brute is simpler  to use on a cellphone with android 4 or lower but I use it on a Samsung Galaxy 2 because  of the screen that is great in full sunlight. Lasts year I used it to find a white spot I could see on Google Earth on my claim. Turned out to be a patch  of white flowers.

Is that true,or did you hear it on the CBC ?

Offline flake

• Province/State: Sask
  • Kudos: 5
Flake
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 09:56:30 PM »
Well sorry  for the screw up. If someone  knows how to get rid of  this post delete  it. Watching TV and surfing on a tablet dosent  work.
Is that true,or did you hear it on the CBC ?

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 08:50:55 PM »
Hi.Guys.I just checked my claim co-ords on google.Apparantly I packe up and moved 900 meters south.This scares the hell out of me.I just updated to the newest google earth. and it is a mile off.Now all these self driving cars they are about to turn loose run off google sat co-ords.Where the hell is that car going when it comes to a sharp bend that the sat says is not there yet.Death destruction and total chaos.Yea the guy in the seat can overide it if he is  paying attention and fast at the wheel but folks tend to get lax and rely on their toys.These things run on googles gps system.Say no more.Luck Mcbain.

Offline geezir

• Kudos: 44
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 12:45:02 PM »
Does anyone here use GPS devices?

I thought it could be helpful to find my way back to promising outcrops (I'm mostly focussing on hard-rock here in Ontario) since it's mostly dense forest and easy to get disoriented. I could be helpful for doing a bit of local mapping too if it's accurate enough. That's the thing though, I'm not sure if GPS devices are accurate enough (especially under thick forest cover) to be worth the bother.

Consumer GPS will work for what you want.
The two main causes of error in the device come from No. 1. Atmosphere and No. 2. Multipath.
Most device from 2009 and on will get a signal in forest. Example Garmin etrex first editions will lose signal in forest but if the unit has sensors (compass & barometer) they will continue to work.
The Garmin 60CSx chip a great improvement over prior models. The 62 and 64 series followed the 60 series.
WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System)
This system aids in unit precision by sending needed data to the unit to adjust for time & sat-path errors or atmospheric condition. The broadcast satellites are in a Clark orbit ( Satellite TV stationary orbit) The orbit are at 98W,  107W, and 133W. Use a Satellite TV  site to obtain the azimuth and horizon angle from the exploration area. With clear sky to WAAS the unit should report -3m precision.  That -3m information should last for some time even if WAAS signal contact is lost.
Multipath error
This is error caused by the sat signal bouncing off objects, the ground being the most common but in forest cover there is a lot of deflection. That is where the sensors can help the device's precision.
There are sites (Trimble) that report the number and location of Sats but in most case there is a good compliments of sats in the sky at any given time.
The GPS is designed to calculate its location on the WGS84 datum. (Google Earth) If the unit is set to another datum the coordinates may be wrong.
One of the most common errors made is using the incorrect datum (in this case datum means a mathematical model of earth)
As a final note do not over spent. GPS III (was due for 2014) is finally in process and should be operational by 2018. The system promises to improve precision.
I use Garmin not because they make the "best" units. GPS are a lot like the PC industry. The chips in the units are not made by device makes. In fact many GPS units use the same chips. They manufactures like PC manufactures make the operating system. And years ago the Garmin OS was reversed engineered and a number of programs were made to create maps for the Garmin. My daughter went on a trip to Great Britain. I went to open street maps and downloaded the Garmin GPS data and they used it for highway and hiking. Check the OSM maps for exploration area. 
This is the OSM for Windy Lake area (500m) 1:2500 http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/46.5879/-81.4356
Hope that helps you get started.

Online Computer technician

• Province/State: Ontario
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 06:01:56 PM »
I have this one , it is good for everything . 8)
Works perfectly , won't lose signal even in the building
 has  signal in my apartment :)

Online Computer technician

• Province/State: Ontario
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 06:11:09 PM »
I have this one , it is good for everything . 8)
Works perfectly , won't lose signal even in the building
 has  signal in my apartment :)

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 07:08:09 PM »
Hi.Yes it works to a degree in the city that is what it was designed for.Try taking it a thousand miles from no where.In the bush.Would you trust your life to it?Not me.Here is a example of why I hate electronics.I have been having a lot of trouble with my 4 wheeldrive shifting the transfer case in and out of 4 wheel.I just spent 600.00 changing the shift motor.3 different shops with all the fancy diagnostic eqipment came too the same conclusion. So I spent the money and it still did not work.Alot of techs scrathing their heads and looking stupid could only say that is what the computer says we dont know.( thats how folks have come to relie on computors)I was alittle peeved to say the least.I went and googled the problem.It was fixed in 30 minuts by simply dis connecting the battery for a bit and rebooting the computor.Moral is I am a lot smarter and still do not trust electronics.I will take a compass anyday.Luck Mcbain.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat