collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 153 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13020
  • stats Total Posts: 131082
  • stats Total Topics: 18333
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Geodes  (Read 7936 times)

Offline richvon

• Kudos: 0
Geodes
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:41:52 AM »
Anyone know  of geodes in Alberta

ClickTheYellowChick

Re: Geodes
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 03:37:26 PM »
Hi, Richvon,  welcome to the forum! ;D

Have you tried the following?

For information about minerals in Alberta you can contact the
Calgary Mineral Exploration Group Society
by email at:
[email protected]

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 05:19:21 PM »
There are pseudo (false) geodes that are actually concretions. A few have calcite crystals in them. Some rivers can have lots of these round ball concretions lying around i he gravel. About the size of baseballs or so washed out of the nearby bedrock. I have had people bring them to me thinking they are dinosaur eggs. I have seen them as big as three feet in diameter. That one was found in a gravel pit west of Edmonton.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline richvon

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:26:42 PM »
tried that e-mail last address last week when reading this forum but got no response.

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 09:06:18 AM »
Hi Rich
Don't expect a quick response from the MEG. They are agreat resource but its a bit hard to get connected. It is an organization and not a business so they have members but it isn't like a company or government organization. There are some very helpful people cassociated with them but it could take awhile to connect. Give a call to the Alberta Geological Survey - good folks.
Not sure who is doing what down there anymore as far as contact names for you but a call to the general number will get ya somebody to talk to pretty quick. The Alberta Geological Survey is a valuable resource and should be appreciated by mineral people more. They have info on gold, ancient channels and diamonds and such - their reports are accessable through the Alberta Publications Branch (cant remember the official title of the place).
I will do some digging this week to see if I can get you more detailed contacts for what you are after.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Lethbridge, Alberta.
  • Kudos: 7
  • Yar der be gold in dem pans!!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 02:40:57 PM »
There is geodes in the crowsnest pass somewhere.My freind has geodes from a place near there.
I have one of those false geodes,It was broken in half and does have some calcite in it,but not crystals more a banding kinda in the middle.