collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

beav

Dot Guests: 164 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13066
  • stats Total Posts: 131873
  • stats Total Topics: 18426
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Volcanic Shear?  (Read 2582 times)

Offline 605dano

• Kudos: 1
Volcanic Shear?
« on: July 27, 2016, 01:26:41 PM »
Looking at a vein on my place I see felsic dykes next to what looks likes sheared and folded veins of mafic rock and quartz.Am I wrong? I think the black rock is either an amphibole,[hornblende] or schorl. Where it isn't in massive form it has elongated crystals. Are they crack fill veins or breccia? There is also sericite, biotite and iron oxides and sulfides in the dark rock.  I think there is a fault close by and it looks like hydrothermal fluids have flowed through the rocks cracks and fissures. There are several of these veins. If I was looking for gold or copper would I look in the quartz near the felsic rock or on the side with the fault? There are other textures in the vein system in further up the slope. Any ideas, where to start digging?

Offline 605dano

• Kudos: 1
Re: Volcanic Shear?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 01:28:54 PM »
A couple more pictures.

Offline XT18000

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 24
  • Better prospecting through chemistry
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 05:11:34 PM »
Chip out a channel sample across the veins , 1" wide  1" deep , collect all the material onto a sheet of plastic be careful not to loose any of it
     put all the sample in a heavy plastic bag or buy you some cloth sample bags and sent it in to a lab for 32 element  analysis , go home
    and wait for the results. Welcome to prospecting 101.  You might want to stop at your local store and buy yourself a big box of " Kleenex"
    to catch all the tears that are sure to come . You never know, might be tears of joy or they might be tears of no joy, that's just the way it go's.

Offline mentalcoincoin

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: B.C.
  • Kudos: 21
  • Tip Of The $pear
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 05:21:02 PM »
B-sure when  ya take that sample, you GPS the spot it comes from, and make it big enough for 2. One you label  keeper and a corresponding number for said assay.That way you have a record and a keeper bag representing your assay for your records. And it dont take long B4 you willl just like me have Cnd Tire plastic tool box's full of keeper bags from your claims  lol!!!@*   For future reference  keeper bags & records such as discriptiopn of showing and GPS  are good to hang on to as you prove up a claim. Goooood luck <_miner_>

Offline NS Gold Seeker

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Nova Scotia
  • Kudos: 8
  • Gold is good.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 02:03:02 AM »
Look at the vein contact on both sides, hanging wall and footwall.
In my experience, mineralization happens along contact edges called the selvage.
I am used to seeing sericite in the rocks that is associated with low pressure
and even biotization can be an indicator of good mineralization.  If there is shearing
and faulting locally it is a good thing for hydrothermal infilling but no guarantee of a mine.
The veining looks good but a bit bullish - white.  Sample the hell out of it.
You can also crush and pan any sample you want to see immediately if there are any
heavies. Should be able to separate the sulphides and see if any gold, chalco, or galena, spalerite,
pyrite and arsenopyrite is a good indicator of Au locally.

Mentalcoincoin,
Excellent advice on the keeper sample, like splitting drill core. 
You have something to retest if you need to.
And getting the GPS location of the sample.  Important.
Tried to give kudos on this, but got an error.
Gold is good.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 146
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 08:40:52 PM »
Hi.Your pics look a lot like mine.Every piece of ground is different.I shed tears.hope you do better.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.