collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 138 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12990
  • stats Total Posts: 130591
  • stats Total Topics: 18276
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: NEWBIE'S ESSENTIALS  (Read 30047 times)

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 134
Re: NEWBIE'S ESSENTIALS
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 08:47:19 PM »
HI. great list but you forgot the one thing most people don't have and that is common sencse.Always know where you are going and know how to get back.learn to use a compass before leaving tour vehicle dime store ones do not work.even the cheap versions of the silva ranger are good as long as you learnHOW TO USE IT.I have seen folks walk 100ft from their truck and not know there way back.Hanging surveyors ribbon is a great way for new folks in the bush as long as they follow it back to starting point.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline HeavyMetalX

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 06:10:19 PM »
The best hand lens I had, I lost a couple of weeks ago... the river and beer combo... duh... anyways, I had taken the two large lens ends from a pair of binoc's and taped them together, with the lens on each end... worked like a hot durn.

Offline Family panner

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2013, 10:24:38 PM »
I like a backpackers or also called a military combination shovel/pick. Fold the spade to 90 degrees and easier to get material out of a hole without going wider to stop caving in the sides.

Offline Nuggz

• Province/State: Nanaimo
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2013, 11:41:59 AM »

Hi Im jarret and i live on Vancouver island an my buddy has giving me the gold fever haha.
thanks you vary much for this post vary helpful. :-*

Offline trbarber

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2013, 12:58:35 PM »
I think I missed seeing sunblock and a snakebite kit (we have pit vipers here)   <~ShOcK~>

Offline Queen Lily

• Province/State: IL
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2019, 12:44:03 AM »
I enjoyed reading this list.

Portable shower. Basically a plastic bladder that hangs on a tree branch with a shower head on it so you can wash up a bit. If your creative you can heat the water using your campfire

This is the list of the equipment I will be using.

Gold hog River sluice and Mats
Garrett gold pan 14 in
One eighth of an inch classifier
Rock pick
Round pointed shovel
Coal shovel straight edge shovel
Several 5 gallon buckets
Two wheel Dolly truck to move buckets
Some type of crevicing tool
Pry bar or crowbar
Broom and dustpan
Snuffer bottle
Plastic vial or two
Custom-made classifier for 5 gallon bucket DIY
Small hand shovel
Small hand rake
Trash bags

That's about all I can think of right now

Offline ivantheterrible

• Province/State: Abbotsford, BC
  • New to gold panning but want to learn.
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2019, 01:31:53 AM »
Great posts everyone thanks so much. Great way to get started.

Thanks,

Ivan

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 72
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2019, 06:30:00 AM »
Ivan,

Just remember - start simple and add to it as needed or as seems handy.

One thing that jumped out at me from this "Oldie but Goodie" post was something that many folks don't know.

The hand lens (magnifying lens) is certainly a worthy item - but - also is that pair of binoculars on the list. 

Sometime (when nobody is looking) pick up your binocs and flip them over and look the "wrong" way through one of the large lenses.  Put the small lens close to what you want magnified and move the binocs toward and away from the object until it's in focus.  Just like the lens, the binocs will magnify - only REALLY well!    <-shock_>

That's another way to turn a splinter into a log!   <-yes_>

Tricks from the old guy.   <-yahoo_>

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline suburbanator

• Adventurer
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 13
  • https://youtu.be/RhFRkgpURW0
    • youtube channel
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2019, 09:06:13 AM »
Great posts everyone thanks so much. Great way to get started.

Thanks,

Ivan

Ivan.   I started just over a year ago,  so let me impart my wisdom as a recent Newb.

Purchase nothing other than common sense items needed for use in the bush (Water bottle, small first aid kit,  compass,  BC back road map book or equiv etc etc) .  But when it comes to PROSPECTING Equipment hold off!!!

After Several trips into the bush,  preferably working with someone with some experience use your judgement to purchase the items you need to do the type of work and exploring that you will be doing and that you enjoy.  Also make sure that said equipment is within the rules of what your allowed to use in the area your working.

IN my experience new people get so excited they run out and buy stuff both online,  and in stores that seem helpful or required but really end up not being very useful!!!

Here are examples of my list of errors:

6 Classifier Sizes (Only use 2 now ever)
3 Different Gold Pans (One is clearly the best IMO) the other two are wall ornaments now
Mother Sucker (ok this one might have its place in the arsenal but not where I work!)
Gold Vials (Cheap pieces of junk, get a couple good ones NOT from dollar store that don't leak)
Medium capacity HIghbanker (Two small for big digs,  two large to hike in) (SOLD)
Home depot buckets (Check craigs list,  I bought 5, then found 10 free on craigslist with lids!)
Cheap Snuffer Bottle (Get a good one)
Pick Axe (Full size one,  really needed more of a small "hoe" style)

SO for us it turns out we like a even split between our 4x4 technical trip into the bush,  our difficult terrain hike,  Route planning and exploring,  and finally prospecting which means we need to travel light....    We are not super keen on 12 hour dig days with the same scenery.  (Maybe  A.D.D. haha).

Point is,  go spend some time working with someone which will help you determine what you need....... and what you don't

Offline ivantheterrible

• Province/State: Abbotsford, BC
  • New to gold panning but want to learn.
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2019, 03:10:45 PM »
I hear you. This is a new hobby for me and getting whatever experience I can before throwing good money away is 100% the plan.

I have military/backcountry experience so I am right there with you.  There are things that are must have and then there are the right tools for the job. Only time in the field will help me make the right choices.

The info is great reading for sure.

Good luck out there.

Ivan

Gear Pan