collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mcbainFisser

Dot Guests: 273 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12961
  • stats Total Posts: 129981
  • stats Total Topics: 18180
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Some BC finds from the past couple years  (Read 19936 times)

Offline Rhino

• Kudos: 0
Re: Some BC finds from the past couple years
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 10:32:12 AM »
EMF: Never even heard of graptolights before but looking them up they seem pretty cool. I dont think thats what those rocks are. #39 was the one that went missing so ill never know forsure. 51 appears to me to be schorl sprays. I only say this because the area i found these is void of sedimentary rocks and in 5 years ive never even seen a fossilized snail or plant leaf or anything. I did find super rich very isolated spot for excellent fossils. Its over the one hour travel mark for me though. I could even see partial skeletons and piles of fossilized plants and everything in between. Most of the great stuff is above the tree line under a huge overhang. After the discovery i found that you can no longer sell fossils unless you send it away to a university and if they dont want it they will give it back to you with paperwork. I have a friend who sent away a dozen finds and only got the 3 lowest valued ones back. I was very upset to hear this so i wont have anything to do with fossils in canada anymore. I often considered dropping the overhang on top of the deposit to ensure that my find stays out of the hands of the academic thieves lol   

Offline SnowPanner

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 01:38:40 PM »
Hi there Rhino,
Well that IS exciting!
I didn't know calcite glowed...
Last week I purchased a known specimen that fluoresced under UV light. I wanted to test a few different types of cheapo UV lights I got off ebay with a known rock.

I have two specimens of calcite here that I think are on quartz. But adding in UV light will help me to see if they are indeed calcite or another mineral.

You know how people make snow angels? Well that's what I would be doing if I went to a place the size of a football field with loose garnets on the ground.  <-yahoo_>

The red quartz specimen is killer. Probably tied for my favorite with the calcite, and that flashy black and white striped rock. It's 31 pics in.
I have never seen green epidote so green before.

Really awesome collection, Rhino!

PS. I don't ever see other rockhounds out and about either. Once I saw some fellow panners, which was awesome 

Offline EMF

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 01:47:09 PM »
It is those little feathery barbs that extend from the edges of the dark forms that are the clues for ID as graptolites. Both rocks are sandstones, which is fairly clear to see in pic #51 with its layering and granular texture.

In pic# 39, the rock appears to have been under a lot of pressure and to have begun metamorphosis, but the upper part of the pic shows the granular texture that indicates it is a sandstone, and those little feathery barbs are easier to see there too.

Offline Rhino

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 09:09:37 PM »
EMF : Thanks you have definitely peaked my interest. Sand stone here is usually found in a smaller bands. Right where the shist and sandstone meet produces some nice stuff. I will get some more material to study from and post what i find. Some sedimentary boulders i find look out of this world but ive never found a contact point on bedrock yet.

SnowPanner: You seem to be a very enthusiastic rockhound! Should try and make your way out to my neck of the woods some time. Ive got a half dozen garnet spots that you would consider "snow angel" worthy and im sure i could part with one if you agree to be sworn into secrecy and seal the deal with a half sac of suds. #31 is about 1000lbs or more and there plenty of smaller quartz/schorl specimens and other tasty Amphibole to be had at that spot but if you wanna go there you may want to bring a small boat. I can fit 2 in mine but it does not leave a whole lot of room for treasure.

Offline kcm

• Province/State: NW Minnesota
  • Kudos: 31
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 11:20:10 PM »
Wow Rhino, great pics! The first is my favorite. Something I was wondering on #3 - is there any way of knowing how that was developed? Meaning, was there a stone/clay layer that settled on sand, or did sand settle on a clay/stone barrier, like a false bedrock? C'mon geologists...start talking!

kcm
The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination.

Offline EMF

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 09:00:14 AM »
kcm, what I can see in pic#3 looks like a piece of vein with bits of wallrock, which was subjected to a lot of pressure, crushing the vein material and turning the wallrock material into schist. There may have been additional silica enriched fluids circulating into what was left of the crushed vein afterward solidifying the mass. The layered look in the quartz came about when the vein was in formation. It starts with a crevice in the wallrock, getting lined with quartz periodically when hot fluids circulate. Different mixes of minerals circulate with the silica in the narrowing crevices from time to time until the crevice is filled, leaving a different color behind after each period of activity. But it's just a picture...

Offline SnowPanner

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 09:39:22 AM »
"SnowPanner: You seem to be a very enthusiastic rockhound! Should try and make your way out to my neck of the woods some time. Ive got a half dozen garnet spots that you would consider "snow angel" worthy and im sure i could part with one if you agree to be sworn into secrecy and seal the deal with a half sac of suds. #31 is about 1000lbs or more and there plenty of smaller quartz/schorl specimens and other tasty Amphibole to be had at that spot but if you wanna go there you may want to bring a small boat. I can fit 2 in mine but it does not leave a whole lot of room for treasure. "

Rhino-Deal! Swimming in a lake of garnets is definitely suds worthy...
Yes, seeing the quartz/schorl rocks in real life would be a awesome.

I am near your neck of the woods every summer, I will PM you a few weeks beforehand, and sign the secrecy act...

Offline paradigmshift

• Province/State: crofton BC
  • Kudos: 4
  • i always wonder whats around the next bend
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2015, 08:59:03 AM »
Good stuff

Offline Rhino

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 01:08:40 PM »
A few from 2016. Happy houndin!

Offline BC Handyman

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Cranbrook, BC
  • Kudos: 15
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 03:57:35 PM »
very nice finds, there a few keepers for sure, I hope to find stuff like that soon.