collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

BCGQC

Dot Guests: 135 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12956
  • stats Total Posts: 129928
  • stats Total Topics: 18173
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: test pits and water.  (Read 50953 times)

Offline minerjoe90

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: nova scotia
  • Kudos: 0
test pits and water.
« on: September 15, 2015, 06:49:18 AM »
hello all; just got back from my claims. dug test pit #13. found a nice looking spot. dug down to 4ft mark. very hard digging. lots of cobbles and big rocks. must have dug out about 40 big rocks that were glued into place. water started poring in from bottom of the hole. the water came in from between to big rocks about 1/4 inch wide opening. is this were the gold went? would the gold fall down the hole when it low water? because there's no gold in sample.
minerjoe

Offline minerjoe90

• PPT Invited
Re: test pits and water.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 06:21:23 AM »
I was asking a question???will the gold follow the water down to bedrock???
minerjoe

Offline beav

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: NS
  • Kudos: 9
  • Keep yer pan wet, and Butt dry!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 09:04:45 AM »
Not just sure I understand your question, MJ. If there is no gold in your sample pit, its irrelevant if there's water or water seems in your hole or not.
You really have to keep digging until you find gold. Once you hit bedrock, your chances are better at finding gold *BUT*, it would have to be a gold-bearing area in the first place.
That seem of water you hit has no bearing on where the gold 'lies' or follows. If that whole area you are digging with the giant boulders was influenced by tumultuous flooding during the ice age *AND* it was a gold bearing area, then most of the gold would have
worked its way to bedrock. Notice I said most...you may find fine gold in the till as you chase-down the bedrock.
If it's not a gold-bearing area, then = no gold to be found on bedrock.
If you are convinced you are in a gold-bearing area, then you just have to keep sampling till you find something of value, be it fines, flakes or (rare) nuggets.
I hope I don't come off sounding like a jack*ss, but just trying to help if I can.
Beav

Offline minerjoe90

• PPT Invited
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 01:19:43 PM »
no. thank you. you did help answer my ? it is not a gold bearing area. but I think there is something there because of our last glacier witch pushed everything south.  all I know is , that I am in glacial drift, from unsorted to sorted to well sorted till. I check the valley sides, hit bed rock twice but no gold. then go into the bottom of valley, hit micro gold, with a lot of other goody's but can not hit bed rock at the depth were aloud to go. and we hit water in every hole. almost every sample has micro- gold, black sands, scheelite?, garnets, silver balls, lead, soft silvery stuff?, iron flakes? and many different types of quarts/rocks. it's playing with me. lol.
minerjoe

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 130
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 07:58:39 PM »
Hi.Beave pretty much answered your question.Yes a fair amount of water will wash down your gold.Fine stuff  takes a lot of water to move the heavy stuff that has already settled.Next question do you know if there was any there  in the first place.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline minerjoe90

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 08:53:05 PM »
no I do not know. I'm searching for a story. an old timer told me a story, of a rich pocket of gold that had to do with the last glacier. was the story true? I do not know. but I did find the spot were the glacier stopped and receded from there.
minerjoe

Offline beav

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: NS
  • Kudos: 9
  • Keep yer pan wet, and Butt dry!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 05:29:04 AM »
Hey MJ...just curious...is that Ole timer still alive? and if he is, does he live in or near Berwick?
Beav

Offline minerjoe90

• PPT Invited
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 07:40:45 AM »
yes, sounds like you know him well. to be able to figger it out by the little I have said. you must know him personally. I found him to be a very nice guy. helped us out a lot. I worked for him for about a year doing odd jobs around his place. he would always tell me he could send me to 100 spots were I could put gold in my pan.( and not at the known mine sites. ) but he never told me about even one spot. no, he did give me one, but it was at mount unick mine site. one vain that 8 ounces to ton. wanted me to core drill it. but that did not seem right to me. I wanted my own spot. he never told me right were to go, but he gave me lots of clues to look for. a great story teller.
minerjoe

Offline minerjoe90

• PPT Invited
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 06:01:37 PM »
am I a fool to believe in a story? there is one thing I have never said about it. and that is I had something he wanted. it was called stanburn mine site, in New Germany. he had got out of prospecting until I told him I had put a claim on it, he had owned it years earlier. he even started coming out to the claim site, letting us use all his gear, telling us what to do and look for. and we found gold there. I started doing odd jobs for him once a week and he would tell us story's about all the spots he knew about. he would talk all about nova scotia. but this one spot we were going to open up. I was going to be his helper. that's when he asked if we would option stanburn mine site to him, he wanted to get us a truck so we could get back and forth to the new claim. after I signed the papers is when we had a fallen out, and he did not need our help around his shop anymore. I figured I did something wrong, but I do not know. after that I found out he had a new partner at stanburn and had gotten another 400 claims around it. so am I crazy believing in his story? was it all just to get my claim? I do not know. but I have been searching for about 5 years. have found some nice gold up there, farther inland.
minerjoe

Offline minerjoe90

• PPT Invited
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 06:11:48 PM »
we have found the right kind of gold bearing rock types, many types of quarts, lots of black sands, and many other types of minerals. it all look right, just can not get deep enough to hit bedrock. by hand your only aloud to go 1.5meters
minerjoe