collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 229 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13006
  • stats Total Posts: 130887
  • stats Total Topics: 18309
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Lack of interest ?  (Read 20196 times)

Offline Xplore

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 15
Re: Lack of interest ?
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 06:12:49 PM »
Questions are encouraged at all levels in this community - from complete beginner to advanced! 

The more experienced members generally go out of their way to provide useful advice and guidance. Keep in mind this is done on their own time for no pay - they are being generous enough to share knowledge and ideas about their hobby.

It's also important to make every attempt to educate yourself outside of this forum.

For example, in addition to participating on this forum I have read 5+ gold panning / prospecting books, watched dozens of videos, read dozens of blog posts, and gone out of my way to meet community members in person to exchange knowledge.

Simple questions, in addition to the more complicated ones are what make forums like this useful and valuable.

Just don't expect other people to mentor you if you aren't willing to put in some legwork to educate yourself as well.

Questions are welcomed, so ask away!

Xplore

P.S. Anytime a post is made, whether on a new or old topic it gets bumped to the top of latest posts, and yes, both old timers and new timers look at latests posts quite often.

North Vancouver, BC

Offline graeme1955

• Province/State: chilliwack bc
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »
awesome replies to this post. Thankyou all!

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 79
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2018, 10:55:05 AM »
This string (the more recent posts) really do bring up a good point, specifically good questions and answers.

Just because a thoughtful question was asked quite some time ago doesn't mean that recent contributions aren't welcome.  A 'timeless question' is appropriate and really open ended on a forum like ours.  Insight, well intentioned humor and searching for answers are never out of date or stale.  No one knows all the answers - and so we all should consider developing new answers to old questions - even if the original poster is long gone to Gold Miners' Heaven.

Our forum is certainly composed of an extremely wide mix of non, pre, new, 'regular', old and ancient miners and yes, even some dead miners who wrote their thoughts down in the past.  Each and every one of us can and do learn from one another.  At times the greenest, newest member asks the simplest questions - and just by replying, that answer is open to 100% review by hundreds if not thousands of us all. 

Many members have heard about my preferences for certain products or techniques while mining.  I did not invent those products nor did I conceive those techniques - but rather I learned from others, who often learned from others as well.  Presenting new ideas, questioning established ways of doing things and learning 'nuggets of knowledge' from old members is the meat and potatoes of our forum.

Now, we also have the perpetual question "Where should I go to look for Gold near Anytown, Canada?" and those well intentioned questions come and go with little fanfare.  Theory, modification of old techniques and brilliant new ideas are what we all should seek and expand upon.

As for a Newbie's  Simple and Uninformed question - well that is where great new ideas come from.  "What would happen if you just ...", "Why doesn't someone ...", "Couldn't you just ...", Has anyone heard about ..." or "Why can't I just ...?" start conversations that make discoveries that no one ever expected.

Just as an example, where would we all be if someone hadn't simply decided to yank riffles and carpet out of a sluice box and make drops instead?  Gold Hog mats, Gold Cubes, Vortex Mats, Le Trap drops and many other "new" styles of efficient in box recover systems wouldn't be around today. 

So, look for those old meaty questions in the past posts. For  5, 8, 10 or more years those excellent questions have languished with new insights just around the corner. 

Isn't learning a progressive journey with no specific end in sight?   <-shock_>

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline poncho

• Happy Trails
  • Province/State: chase bc
  • Kudos: 14
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2018, 03:49:46 PM »
Perfectly said Joe i second that for sure   the CGPF forum is a great organ of knowledge
ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 136
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2018, 07:23:13 PM »
Hi.Guys over the years I have had many new members visit me at the claim.Just full of questions.Alot I can not answer.I tell them ask it on the forum.(standard answer) is I do not bother with the forum any more.there is nothing new and it is boring.That really gets my goat.Hold on I say.back up and think a bit.You are a member ask your questions,make some comments,participate.Is that not why you joined?Well yes but a big fat zero.Most of these folks expect to get answers and entertainment without even wiggling a finger.I can not help these folks that are not willing to help themselves.I am running out of ideas.It takes more than half a dozen to keep this forum alive.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.