collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

kodibearsuburbanator

Dot Guests: 154 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12958
  • stats Total Posts: 129953
  • stats Total Topics: 18176
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Lack of interest ?  (Read 19311 times)

Offline XT18000

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 24
  • Better prospecting through chemistry
Lack of interest ?
« on: September 06, 2015, 05:18:43 AM »

Have you noticed and wondered why someone will post a subject and it may receive
  thousands of view's ( some in the order of 6000, 9000, 11000), and so on, but only
  x, or xx, or xxx replies ? To my way of thinking this shows there is a lot of members
  on this forum that are really not interested in subjects that could increase not only
  there knowledge but there wealth also. True there are some posts that miss there
  intended mark due to poor wording or lack of knowledge of the person posting it but
  even in these cases they should receive at least some comments when xxxxx number
  of members take  the time to read it. I am not referring to any posts of mine I'm
  referring to anyone's. Take the time to look at the posted subjects and you'll see what
  I'm talking about. Look at the post about the "Gold Cube",. Is there really that much
  to understand how it works, something that has no moving parts ( no offence to the
  product or to you Doc ) just an observation and comparison . The purpose of a forum
  is to draw like minded persons together to share there collective knowledge on subjects
  that fall into the realm of subjects that the forum was founded for " no one is as smart
  as all of us " or " there are no stupid questions, only one that has not be asked " should
  be kept in mind when reading any post. We learn much by asking questions and having
  discussions, if we want to learn, ( keep it in the realm of the forum ).
  There are way to many that will not take time to look on the correct board to find an
  answer to a question they have, so they just post anywhere, where if they would only
  take the time to go to the right board the answer may well be there without there posting
  to ask it. There are many subjects found on this forum, most deal with gold, but there are
  a lot of other subjects that should also be of interest to anyone interested in the subjects
  covered on it. If you are interested enough to read someone's post, it speaks to the fact
  that you have (1) at least SOME interest in the subject or how much the person posting it
  has or (2) You have no interest in what that person knows  or thinks they know, or your
  just wasting your time and in that case why are you a member of the forum to start with.
  Look at the dates of different posts that are showing on the main page, most of them have
  not received  comment in a long time, yes we all have to make use of our time, and
  good weather so there are times when posting and reply's have to take a back seat but
  not for ever!
  Comments or questions are welcome   

Offline Top Cat

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Langley BC
  • Kudos: 25
Re: Lack of interest ?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 06:33:04 AM »
I have taken the time to read your post, but sometimes it easier to re-post a topic than read through thousands of posts to find the answer, if you can locate what you are looking for.

I agree posting under the appropriate heading will help and if that topic peaks your interest you might take a peek

I know not all areas are of interest to me. I only look at topics that I might want to contribute to.

My 2 cents !!

Offline ryanonthevedder

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Chilliwack
  • Kudos: 18
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 08:32:08 AM »
The vast majority of the knowledge base of the entire forum is archival. There are still important topics started all the time, but folks get tired of rehashing old topics. I might not give the same zeal in a answer that I have given once or twice before. If you were to search my old post I could have put my heart into it along with many others. That also leads me to another point; accessing members that are gone. If one searches a topic he will get a more diverse set of opinions than what might be found today.

Why dont we reply? When I first started there was a lot of reading. Chasing that armchair lead consumed me for many evenings. Like a hound on a trail I sniffed through hundreds of topics, and posting a well thought out comment was out of the question <-laugh->.

Offline tamarackman

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 09:13:02 AM »
It seems to me that members come and go as they lose interest in the forum or prospecting. I think alot of people have grand visions of finding big nuggets. After a season or two of bushwhacking in seasonal weather, washing gravel with a sore back, while working around boulders as deer flies eat neckflesh, they have 50 $ worth of flour flood gold. As helpful as this forum is it will not put the X on the map, so unless these people love the great outdoors as much as they love the idea of gold they will quit. At any point there is 86 guests on here and 9 members. Now is that really guests interested in prospecting or is it members who have nothing to say and are hoping to read something of interest? Or is it gold loving bushwhackers looking for members to put down there X on the map? Good topic and good points, hope more members come out of the woodwork this armchair prospecting season, the snow itsa coming!

Offline XT18000

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 24
  • Better prospecting through chemistry
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 12:28:21 PM »

Thank you for your reply Hi-Lo Silver, I am not trying to sound like a smart ass but you said your experience or knowledge of a posted topic doesn't warrant a reply . If lack of knowledge or experience of a subject is not a
  reason to ask a question about it how can it be of  enough interest to read someone's post about it. We learn by asking questions we get experience by doing. The object of a post ( or at least it should be ) is to encourage
  a reply from those who read it, that's what this whole subject is about! A reply can be as simple as a  person want's it to be or can ask a question (s) that's really all there is to it. We are all here because we all ( at least we
  should have " ) have a common interest in the topic's listed in the forum.  The topic's cover a very wide range for a reason, " the diffusion of knowledge by posting and replying by it's members ". If this process is ignored
  then we all might just as well gust read a few books about how to prospect, or how to make a  what ever, etc., etc. , you won't get much of a discussion out of it, same as a post with a view but no reply! Then there's the
  old " I don't know enough about the subject to contribute to the post " , well how long will it take to learn about something so you can contribute to it sitting on the side lines, you know over a period of time, all these post's
  get buried by new one's and for the most part stay buried, and so will the information in them. As I said at the start of this post, I'm not trying to be a smart ass nor am I meaning to put you down and hang you out to dry,
  I am trying to generate member interest in what is taking place on this forum, it's slowly but surly sliding into a deep hole dug by indifference . I have always maintained that television was the greatest teaching aid man had
  ever invented, only to see it go to waste for stupid crap they call entertainment. We all need to do more to get some interest up, this can only be done by posting, questioning, and commenting.

Top Cat; I thank you also, I agree a person that is not interested in certain subjects will most likely not comment on them, and I'm no different but knowledge has a way of wanting to expand it's self, the more it knows the
                more it wants to know, and the more it wants to know the more it will know. I have set myself a somewhat lofty goal to reach before I die, I want to die smarter than a rock! Sounds simple enough but think about it.

ryanonthevedder: Your reply is most welcome also, yes sadly there is no way to keep everything fresh to the point it's not rehashed, but I think if more people would contribute subjects and try to keep discussions on posted
                            subjects  going we would all get more out of it. The world of prospecting, gold mining, geology, chemical prospecting, mining regulations, etc. have not came to an end, they need a kick start. Want to start it?

Tamarackman; thank you also for bring up a subject that has been left for the most part un-said but implied more so, I'm sorry there is no quick and easy answer to those problems. In part we are our own worst enemy, we
                         can't keep quite about what we find, As to the one's that come and go, I don't see that as a problem, don't slow'em down as they head out. As to the quests; that is something that the boss man will have to stop
                         if a mind to ( blocking certain things unless as a member is a start ).

Again I thank all of you for your input, now what about the rest of you ?

Offline Finn from Ecuador

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 01:58:50 PM »
I thought that adding something to an old topic, which brings it up to the first page, would not be appropriate behavior.  I have seen also every now and then people begin their posts with: "I know that this is an old topic but.."  So maybe i'am not the only one who thought so.

Now, after rethinking, by bringing up an old topic, one shows that one has put at least some effort of searching information before starting a new topic.

Good post XT18000, i liked it and will try to put it in practice too.

Salud

Finn

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 52
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 02:27:42 PM »
I'll bet 3/4's of the views are spam sites or search engines.

Not so, Hi Lo !  No hit-engines, or spam involved here.  As often as not, there are many members who are not signed in, but actively read the posts.  Plus, the counter logs hits from all those people out there in cyber-land across the globe who click on a topic to read such.  The stats show that we generally have between the high 800,000s to 1.5 million page views per month.  Staggering !!
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline tamarackman

• PPT Invited
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 09:36:17 PM »
I thought that adding something to an old topic, which brings it up to the first page, would not be appropriate behavior.  I have seen also every now and then people begin their posts with: "I know that this is an old topic but.."  So maybe i'am not the only one who thought so.

Now, after rethinking, by bringing up an old topic, one shows that one has put at least some effort of searching information before starting a new topic.

Good post XT18000, i liked it and will try to put it in practice too.

Salud

Finn

Good point Finn. I would say in a way its a sign of respect to carry on the topic, to keep the flame burning. Which comes back to what XT18000 is talking about, and how easy it is to just sit back and read, when in order to keep things interesting we need to write as well.  A wise man once said  "All that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing"   

gold one

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 02:39:38 AM »
It seems to me that members come and go as they lose interest in the forum or prospecting. I think alot of people have grand visions of finding big nuggets. After a season or two of bushwhacking in seasonal weather, washing gravel with a sore back, while working around boulders as deer flies eat neckflesh, they have 50 $ worth of flour flood gold. As helpful as this forum is it will not put the X on the map, so unless these people love the great outdoors as much as they love the idea of gold they will quit. At any point there is 86 guests on here and 9 members. Now is that really guests interested in prospecting or is it members who have nothing to say and are hoping to read something of interest? Or is it gold loving bushwhackers looking for members to put down there X on the map? Good topic and good points, hope more members come out of the woodwork this armchair prospecting season, the snow itsa coming!

I agree, most people will lose interest in this hobby...they realized the gold was mostly mined over a hundred years ago.

But...the shows on tv will generate new interest. 

Offline tamarackman

• PPT Invited
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 08:55:59 AM »
Yes Gold one they will, just like the propaganda newspaper reporters of ol times. Thats how the west was developed. In my area they had new towns pop up all over the place. Crazy townsite locations that never had a chance would pop up due to some pocket strike, tell people the railway is coming, sell a bunch of lots and gear and off to the new one.