collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Woodspirit

Dot Guests: 139 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12938
  • stats Total Posts: 129756
  • stats Total Topics: 18147
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: A Book Of Knowledge Worth Having  (Read 91299 times)

Offline XT18000

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 24
  • Better prospecting through chemistry
A Book Of Knowledge Worth Having
« on: September 03, 2015, 05:40:52 AM »

While out and about yesterday I made a Stop at a local book store and found this gem.

" Glossary of Geology ", this is a 806 page Dictionary that covers every geological field

of knowledge. Some you may have never heard of. It defines not only words but TERMS

that are in common usage found in reports, books, professional papers that all earth

scientist use. A large number of them are way above less knowledgeable persons like

most of us dirt scratchers  understand. This book gives them in language we speak

and at least partly understand, ( at least we tell others of our kind we do, and sense

they don't know better they are impressed with our knowledge of a subject they never

heard of ). All this for $9.99 !  Gold mines come in lots of different forms; you just

have to know one when you see one, this is one of them. Almost left out who to

thank for putting it out, that thank you go's to the American Geological Institute.

If you can find one, buy it, its worth having on your bookshelf.

Offline bruno

• Province/State: Coquitlam
  • Kudos: 12
Re: A Book Of Knowledge Worth Having
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:04:58 AM »
Thanks XT1800, just found it on Amazon.ca for 1 cent plus $6.49 shipping, not bad for a hard cover book. It will be great to understand more terms in geology.

Offline XT18000

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 24
  • Better prospecting through chemistry
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 03:59:24 PM »

Good for you.  I'm sure there's more of the at very good prices if people will just look for them.

Offline kcm

• Province/State: NW Minnesota
  • Kudos: 31
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 12:01:45 AM »
Found a link that “appears” to offer this book for download for free – just have to register to use the site. If you go to this link (http://www.nocread.com/gopdf/glossary-of-geology-5th-edition.pdf), there will also be a list of other related downloadable books below. The list looks impressive. Don’t have enough data time remaining this month, so I have to wait till the weekend before I can try getting ANY of them!  ^#!

Another book that I downloaded was, “A Study Of Ore Deposits For The Practical Miner”, by James Philip Wallace. The book was published in 1908 but is a treasure trove of information for a hopeful such as myself. I was so impressed by this book that by the time I reached page 108, I looked it up online and found that I could purchase the book brand new (paperback) for very little. …Think I got it from Amazon. Also get books through Velore Books, such as “Introductory Mining Engineering, 2nd Edition”, by Howard L. Hartman & Jan M. Mutmansky. When I clicked on the description for this book at the Velore site, it showed a book that was prohibitively expensive. Then it also showed an International version that was ENORMOUSLY cheaper!!! The difference? There is a piece of thick red tape on the back cover covering these words:
This Wiley Student Edition is part of a continuing program of paperbound textbooks especially designed for students in developing countries at a reduced price
Makes me wonder if this program could somehow be associated with the push to get more and more students enrolled into colleges domestically. After all, the more students there are that buy overpriced textbooks here, the more affordable the textbooks probably are for developing countries. …Just a thought - not even a theory, really.

Another book that I'm really interested in getting, eventually, is "Mineral Processing Technology - An Introduction to the Practical Aspects of Ore Treatment and Mineral Recovery" by B. A. Wills. There are several editions, the most recent of which is quite expensive. Is also a 2006 edition for much less. From what I can gather, most of what is in the newest version SHOULD cover some of the newer, more environmentally friendly methods and aspects of processing ores. I'm an awful long way off from that point, but still would like to try to understand methods other than cyanide leaching. I have no problem with roasting, or crushing down to 300 or 400 mesh if necessary, but at this time any further processing scares the hell out of me!  <-shock_> Would like to hear from someone else who has read BA Wills book and what they think.

kcm
The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination.

Offline kcm

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 04:21:31 AM »
Unfortunately that link I provided is no longer good. The site has a free 5-day subscription but their site no longer has any books having to do with geology. For all I know it never did.

Was thinking about that comment I made about 300 to 400 mesh - I wonder if it is ever practical to grind to that fine during the course of processing? Ah, never mind! That needs to be in a different thread.

Will post here any other good books I happen to run across. Guess for now I'll just have to order the actual book: Glossary of Geology. Thanks again for the input on it. Don't like it when books are written in nothing but 14-letter words!!  ^#!
The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination.

Offline kcm

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 04:29:41 AM »
While it's here, the current edition of Glossary of Geology is available for reading online for free at:
https://books.google.com/books?id=SfnSesBc-RgC&printsec=frontcover&dq=glossary+of+geology&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAGoVChMIjIacktajyAIVCW8-Ch1BYgt7#v=onepage&q=glossary%20of%20geology&f=false

Don't know if this is a limited-time thing or what. Unfortunately it is not available for download for reading offline.

kcm

Offline SnowPanner

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 09:13:25 AM »
Great jobs on the books! I look forward to reading them! Thanks guys

Offline mentalcoincoin

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: B.C.
  • Kudos: 19
  • Tip Of The $pear
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 03:36:14 PM »
http://www.survivorlibrary.com/library/a_study_of_ore_deposits_for_the_practical_miner_1908.pdf                                                                                                                                                                Someone at this time,who I can not remember at this time posted this on another thread.To date for me, it is one of the most informative descriptions in geology I have ever read.And one I could fully comprehend and helped my learning curb the most in hardrock prospecting. {-applause-} {-applause-}

Offline kcm

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 04:43:04 PM »
I thought that title sounded familiar! I had downloaded the ebook, but lost it when my laptop went nuts. Liked the book so much I bought a paperback reprint off of Amazon.

After the laptop, the link I had posted was no good anymore. Thanks for posting this - helps a lot to be able to search the book for keywords!

kcm

Offline ReedKidd

• Province/State: Pennsylvania
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 06:18:54 AM »
I'll have to look in the CA area.  My first look on Amazon showed the hard cover for $99.00US and the Kindle version for $50.00US.  (maybe I'll check a torrent site....)   KIDDING!!!   <-shock_>  just kidding.