collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 114 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12977
  • stats Total Posts: 130236
  • stats Total Topics: 18221
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me what this is?  (Read 11257 times)

Offline DeevZ

• Province/State: Saskatchewan
  • Kudos: 1
Can anyone tell me what this is?
« on: June 25, 2015, 06:25:44 AM »
I was recently doing some work in a gentlemans yard and while on my way out, walking down the driveway.. Kicked this. It intrigued me so I picked it up and took it with me. Cold and metallic to touch, just not sure what the heck it is.

Thanks for checking! I'm excited for some replies.

-D

(Sorry about the large photos)

Offline EMF

• Kudos: 33
Re: Can anyone tell me what this is?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 10:12:37 PM »
It could be a metal sulfide. Testing for the color of its streak, and its hardness, would be a good start toward ID. You could break off a crumb of it and do a burn test outside. If it is a sulfide, it will break down into a rusty powder and nasty smelling fumes. The smell is said to resemble garlic if it is arsenopyrite, which is what it looks like in the pictures. Look at the google images of arsenopyrite and you'll see what I mean. If that is what it is, the streak will be black or gray, and the hardness around 5.5 to 6.

Offline DeevZ

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 11:23:55 PM »
Alright, I'll have to acquire some sort of streak plate and give it a whirl. As for the burn test I will try that also in the morrow. Thanks for now, I will post my results once I have some.

Offline azau

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Arizona
  • Kudos: 7
  • If it can't be grown. it must be mined!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 07:35:15 AM »
For streak testing use the unglazed portion of any ceramic object such as underside of lid of toilet tank, tile, coffee mug, etc.

Offline DeevZ

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 10:12:11 AM »
Good to know, that saves me some time later. Thanks for the info!

Offline tamarackman

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 10:38:24 AM »
Also looks like galena a sulphide mineral its hardness is around 2.5-3, sg is around 7.5, there was an area in bc that produced so much high grade galena ore at the turn of the century, that its been said to have been more lucrative than the whole northwest gold rush. 200 oz pr ton and 30-50% lead was normal back when silver was 55 cents/oz. Now the area is ghost towns. Better stake his driveway lol.

Offline DeevZ

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 05:20:31 PM »
Streak test complete, it streaked a dark grey colour, darker than a pencil strike.

As for staking the driveway.. I'd be more likely to stake near the gravel pit his driveway came from, haha

Offline DeevZ

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 07:15:39 AM »
This morning after looking through some mineral ID charts I got to thinking.. And decided to do some more tests on this rock. It can not be scratched by a knife, I can not flake any of it off with a knife, and after double checking it's streak it appears to streak the exact metallic silvery blue colour that the rock is.

Offline EMF

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 08:37:57 AM »
You can eliminate galena now as a possibility, since that one has a hardness of 2.5. Knife blade hardness is about 5.5, which is just under or about the same as arsenopyrite. If a piece of quartz, hardness 7, can scratch it, that will bracket the hardness value within the range of  5.5 to 7. A burn test will reveal much of its character at this point, as will a specific gravity test.

Offline DeevZ

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 01:57:46 PM »
A flame test has yielded no change in flame coloration however I was able to scratch the piece ever so slightly with Quartz. I haven't been able to check density yet, I need a scale that measures decimal points instead of grams/ounces