collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mcbainDhodgins

Dot Guests: 163 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12992
  • stats Total Posts: 130653
  • stats Total Topics: 18283
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Clean up sluice with wire mesh?  (Read 5986 times)

Offline Vagadero

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
Clean up sluice with wire mesh?
« on: June 04, 2015, 01:56:52 PM »
What is the best sized wire mesh to use over a ribbed "V" rubber mat in a clean up sluice?

Online mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 134
Re: Clean up sluice with wire mesh?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 07:33:31 PM »
hi. the best I can give is you do not want any wire on a cleanup sluice.Pre screen down to the finest screen size and then run through sluice.Do not know what you are running Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Vagadero

• PPT Invited
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 08:26:48 PM »
I'm meaning something like that:

Offline AuTiger

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 07:06:41 AM »
I really struggled with different methods of "cleanup" sluices, can't see the advantage of the Mesh. If your using V mat for clean up, the big deal is Angle and Flow, if you get that just right, you will be fine!

My Nickel

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 74
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 03:15:46 PM »
Vagadero, an excellent question!

The clean-up sluice you show is the US Prospector's S-1.  I have one and have used it a lot (up until it "walked away" 2 summers ago, that is).

When I first heard of the G-1 Highbanker I decided to stop by Boise, Idaho to look at in Joel Farmer's shop.  I watched the unit in action and could not have more impressed - and bought one on the spot.  

Then Joel showed me the S-1 - and after I saw it in action with it's auto feeder I bought them too.

I asked Joel why the black ribbed rubber had that screen over it and he explained it this way:

Joel, as part of his development of the G-1 and S-1 had sought help from a College professor who specialized in advanced Gold recovery theory and practical application of that theory.  (the professor was also a practicing Gold miner).  

While experimenting with all the variations in development of the S-1 Joel tried using 1/4", stainless, welded wire screen on a diagonal.  Just a test.

Joel showed that variation to the professor who asked where Joel had heard of that technique.  It seems that the time that concept was cutting edge in theory and in high-tech application.

It seems that the thin round wires, at a diagonal, created miniature drop zones over the black rubber ribs and was therefore not only able to capture the very small Gold, but also protect that Gold from being swept away.  Carefully look at where the Gold accumulates relative to the wire mesh and you will see a pattern to it.

Mike and Dan studying the S-1 and auto feeder in the field in Alaska.

So, Vagadero, that is "The Rest of the Story" on the wire mesh - 1/4", stainless, welded round wire permanently mounted over permanently mounted black rubber 'V' matting.

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Online mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 134
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 07:20:59 PM »
Hi.Joe.The question is cleanup.How much cleanup is still reguired after a run on the s-1 as compared to the washer matt.Look at price and all those neat things and what is left at the end of the day.I respect your thoughts because I know you have been testing all this stuff longer than most of us.Luck mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Vagadero

• PPT Invited
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 04:38:15 AM »
Joe, do you mean to a wire like this?:
post2.png
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
I didn't found any fully flat wire. Does it exist?

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 74
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 12:12:14 PM »
Vagadero,

The wire that makes the screen is round in cross section (not flat).  The thin wire only needs to fit close to the top of the rubber mat, slightly slowing the water over that "V" mat.  The diagonal placement of the mesh makes the top of the diamond shape like the bow of a boat - pushing the waterflow aside a little and creating a quieter settling zone.

The water flow and angle of the sluice is balanced to (relatively) slowly move the non Gold through the sluice.  Increasing the angle of the sluice increases water energy while the friction of the screen and mats decreases that energy.  Starting from the angle where the two cancel each other out -- if there is too much energy -- flatten the sluice a little, or, if not enough energy -- increase the angle a little.  Once identified that angle is easy to set up by eye.  

Originally I caught and re-panned the tailings and finally gave that up.  No Gold in the tailings.

Mark,

Look at the Gold in the 4" wide S-1 --- almost entirely Gold with very little black sands.  That is a big advantage of the S-1.  The auto feeder also substantially increases recovery, because there is no overfeeding of the concentrates - slow (very slow!) - but once the auto feeder is set up and running you can just leave it to work while you pick nuggets from the ground elsewhere.   <-yahoo_>

Washer mat = faster processing of the concentrates.  S-1 = slower, unattended, processing with relatively less final panning.  

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Gear Pan
Gold Rat