collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

poncho

Dot Guests: 329 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13016
  • stats Total Posts: 131029
  • stats Total Topics: 18328
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Rock and Mineral Hunting Through the Canadian Rockies  (Read 8833 times)

Offline slakcer18

• Kudos: 0
Rock and Mineral Hunting Through the Canadian Rockies
« on: May 16, 2015, 08:48:59 AM »
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this site and apologize if a thread like this has already been posted. I just graduated from my master's in geology and I'm planning on taking a long road trip through the Canadian Rockies (not from around there...) and was wondering if anyone knows of any places between Vancouver and Calgary that would be prospective for mineral hunting. I've got about a week and a half to make it from Vancouver to Calgary, and want to hike and camp out, as well as do a bit of collecting here and there. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Or even good hiking trips that you might know of as well!

Offline lpsumo

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
Re: Rock and Mineral Hunting Through the Canadian Rockies
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 12:26:06 PM »
This book might be a good starting point: Harbour Publishing: A Field Guide to Gold, Gemstone & Mineral Sites of British Columbia Vol. 2 Revised Edition

Our resident rock expert blucorundum has been MIA for a while but you can find a lot of posts by him here.

As a geologist you might be interested in the book "Roadside Geology of Southern British Columbia"

What route were you thinking of taking?

Offline slakcer18

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 08:22:50 PM »
I'll do some digging to try and find some posts by him.

I'll be taking highway 1 for the most part, unless there are better routes to take or more attractive places to stop along the way.

I'll check out that book as well, thank you!

Offline lpsumo

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 02:27:32 PM »
I think there are more interesting routes than highway 1, but it depends on what you like. I like mountains so my ideal route would be:

#1 to Hope, then hop onto the #3, check out Hope Slide (huge rock slide) and drive through Manning Park. Then you'll get to follow the Similkameen river past Copper Mountain down into Princeton. To the West is an area rich in mining history, the Tulameen river is apparently one of 2 rivers in the world that hosts placer gold & platinum. Head east on the #3 and maybe do a tour of the old Mascot mine on the edge of the cliff over Hedley?

Want wine and good food? Head to Kelowna and check out Layer Cake Hill:
http://m1.i.pbase.com/g5/27/593927/2/100607311.IDJsXOBY.jpg
http://www.minersoc.org/pages/Archive-MM/Volume_62/62-6-731.pdf
There seems to be some friendly guys on this forum from there that would probably take you out panning if you're into that.

Head up to Vernon. If you want to pay to dig up opals, head to the Klinker deposit and see what you get. Go east on the #6 and half way to Arrow Lake is a mountain called Lightning Peak where I've read you can find Peridot.

Cross the lake (free ferry) head north to Nakusp, then east to New Denver, then I'd take the 31A, check out the ghost towns in the area, and continue on to Kaslo. South to Nelson if you need supplies, then backtrack to Balfour and take the longest free ferry in the world across Kootenay Lake.

Might as well head south east to Cranbrook, check out Fort Steele, north on the 95 to Golden, East to Lake Louise, then Banff and Canmore. I'd recommend going south from Canmore on the 742 for some nice mountain views. That'll put you on the 40, head back north and east and you're in Calgary.

I think that'll give you some highlights of BC.

Some mineral hunting references:
https://www.cigem.ca/412.html
Gemstones of British Columbia  
http://propertyfile.gov.bc.ca/PDFTemp/fileid_10358.pdf
Potential for Gem Beryl and Schist Hosted Emerald in British

Offline deadwood

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Wells BC
  • Kudos: 37
Re:
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 03:38:46 PM »
H {-censored-}

Offline slakcer18

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 09:42:44 AM »
Ipsumo, thank you so much for this route. I put everything into google maps and it looks like a great trip.