collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 167 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13069
  • stats Total Posts: 131947
  • stats Total Topics: 18431
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: BLUE WIRES IN QUARTZ  (Read 25864 times)

Offline 605dano

• Kudos: 1
BLUE WIRES IN QUARTZ
« on: May 12, 2015, 05:20:35 PM »
I tried these on a different forum to no avail. I keep seeing these tiny blue wires in quartz. At first I thought that they were contaminates like thread or hairs but I can see some are imbedded in the quartz, and I don't have anything with blue threads and my hair is more grey. They are very tiny and always short. Hard to pick up with the naked eye, but can see plainly under magnification. The picture with the gold colored wire I didn't know also had a blue wire on the bottom of the pic until I looked at the picture. I see them quite often when looking at quart from a vein on my property. I have never heard of blue wires. I googled  them a came up empty. Any ideas? [ Invalid Attachment ]    

[Old attachment removed automatically]

[Old attachment removed automatically]

Offline isaac

• Kudos: 0
Re: BLUE WIRES IN QUARTZ
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 06:37:45 PM »
Hi
I'm glad someone else has see them I have found them in compacted river gravels as well . Only visible under microscope I have also found black,pink and white ones. Have no idea what they are but find them quite often .Least we know we're not imagining them
Isaac 

Offline aumbre

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 07:04:18 PM »
Perhaps oxidized wire copper?

Metallic looking wire

Offline overtheedge

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 36
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »
Few minerals are chemically pure in nature.
How about micro-fractures?
It isn't a nice double terminated hexagonal prism, ergo it has internal noticeable flaws.
Different impurities would result in a different spectral response at the micro-fracture.

Is interesting from the scientific angle, but of no practical value.
Although enough in a small specimen might make for a unique cabachon.
Perhaps a dinner ring or broach.

eric

Offline 605dano

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 04:35:17 PM »
I realize it has no practical value, but I'm just curious what impurity would make a wire blue. Cobalt?, Copper? It's just so unusual.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 146
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 06:53:06 PM »
Hey deadwood could be wrong but you definetly got something there Buyer beware.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline azau

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Arizona
  • Kudos: 7
  • If it can't be grown. it must be mined!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 10:14:40 PM »
I tried these on a different forum to no avail. I keep seeing these tiny blue wires in quartz. At first I thought that they were contaminates like thread or hairs but I can see some are imbedded in the quartz, and I don't have anything with blue threads and my hair is more grey. They are very tiny and always short. Hard to pick up with the naked eye, but can see plainly under magnification. The picture with the gold colored wire I didn't know also had a blue wire on the bottom of the pic until I looked at the picture. I see them quite often when looking at quart from a vein on my property. I have never heard of blue wires. I googled  them a came up empty. Any ideas? [ Invalid Attachment ]     

This looks like your answer, rutile quartz.  https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1AFAB_enUS491US513&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=rutile%20quartz  

https://www.google.com/search?q=quartz+with+inclusions&rlz=1C1AFAB_enUS491US513&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=648&tbm=isch&imgil=ihMmy5yL9JTFxM%253A%253B5EEE8BPnUvugrM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.gggems.com%25252Finclusion_quartz.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=ihMmy5yL9JTFxM%253A%252C5EEE8BPnUvugrM%252C_&usg=__XYQbXSVZY2hTVkIrJ_Vy-ZBNSrk%3D&ved=0CCkQyjc&ei=SyxUVbmOKM-lyATJqYHQCg#imgrc=ihMmy5yL9JTFxM%253A%3B5EEE8BPnUvugrM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.gggems.com%252Fimages%252FPosters%252FQUARTZFACET100GRMSimgXXL.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.gggems.com%252Finclusion_quartz.htm%3B395%3B391

With more research on your part you may find their mineral makeup and why the difference in colors.

Good luck

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 40
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 08:44:19 AM »
I have seen something like this before too.  In some cases, it was roots of some kind of moss/fungi that I could see with a jeweler's optic.  Yours looks more metallic and interesting.
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline East2west

• Province/State: Southeast New Brunswick
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 12:09:04 PM »
Ran into this a couple of times looking at rock samples - Beware of Micro Fibers AKA ... pieces of your clothes that you can't see with the naked eye! :P

Offline SirRoxalot

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 06:21:07 PM »
Looks like lint. Clean your samples, then try either more light or more magnification.

Lots of possibilities other than lint, from a tarnished whisker crystal of pyrite or marcasite, to stibnite, dumortierite, or riebeckite or something, but lint fools lots of people new to scopes.