collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

beav

Dot Guests: 134 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12977
  • stats Total Posts: 130236
  • stats Total Topics: 18221
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Amber in Southern Alberta: Medicine Hat & Grassy Lake  (Read 7218 times)

Offline petropolis

• New user
  • Kudos: 0
Amber in Southern Alberta: Medicine Hat & Grassy Lake
« on: April 13, 2015, 11:36:38 PM »
After a couple of years of scouring red rock coulee for fossils I have decided to start looking for amber. I have heard of the fabled insect laden amber in grassy lake and would love if anybody could tell me more information about locations as I only know of one (that I have not even had the opportunity to check out yet). As well as how is the amber deposited there?
I was even more interested however upon hearing that there is apparently amber deposits in Medicine Hat. The information on this has only been second hand however and seems a bit sketchier and a lot less mentioned. I found a book online that briefly mentions a decent amber find in the 60' just outside of Medicine Hat but other then that I have not found much. I have noticed small coal deposits before in various coulees around and outside of the city and have heard that you can commonly find amber in them but what else should I be looking for? On a lark I once dug through a coulee coal deposit in an old stream bed but only found buffalo bones.
I have also heard of people dredging for amber, how common is this for amber in the area?
Really any information anybody has about amber collection or amber in the Southern Alberta area would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 38
Re: Amber in Southern Alberta: Medicine Hat & Grassy Lake
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 07:13:53 AM »
I read your post and thought "good question" as I know nothing about amber other than what it looks like in jewelry.  So I tried to look it up and found this article about Amber Ellis:  http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/man-wakes-up-find-girlfriend-5204276.  Probably not the amber you are searching for.   LOL
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline SirRoxalot

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 10:00:06 AM »
I've never collected amber, but I'm told it's commonly found with coal in BC. Lots of info online, the Eastern BC deposits may be worth your time to investigate. Don't expect to find big pieces, think pea size.

Offline steelman

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 11:53:49 PM »
I have looked in alberta in the spots you mention. zero. found every other cool thing in alberta and never ever have i saw a piece of amber in my 5 years hunting. good luck!its a myth as far as I know. check the high grass in flood zones. picked many agates way up there but no amber.......ever!