collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 134 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12977
  • stats Total Posts: 130236
  • stats Total Topics: 18221
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Mega Money 15th Century Coin Found  (Read 5251 times)

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 52
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
Mega Money 15th Century Coin Found
« on: September 09, 2014, 05:17:28 PM »
It surprise me that none of you treasure hunters haven't made a post on this find.

Those in central and eastern Canada are quite likely to have a shot at one of these, as that era was the migration of the United Empire Loyalists who came north to settle and build what is now Canada.  And oddly enough, that was the year my own fore-father immigrated to New England.

As taken from a news report:

Rare 17th century coin found in English field
Published September 07, 2014
FoxNews.com

An extremely rare and well-preserved 17th century coin was found by an amateur treasure hunter last week in a field in Nottinghamshire, England, the Daily Mail reported.

John Stoner, 42, dug up a 1652 silver threepenny coin on Aug. 31, a piece that has been hailed as one of the finest examples of currency produced in the days of the Pilgrim Fathers, as he ploughed the field in the village of King’s Clipstone.

". . . its condition was like the day it was struck.”

- John Stoner

On Monday, coin expert Peter Spencer confirmed it was a genuine threepenny piece, commissioned and struck in Boston, Mass.
“I handed it over to him and I think it’s fair to say he went white as a ghost,” Stoner said, according to the Daily Mail. “He said its condition was like the day it was struck.”

The single coin is not subject to treasure trove laws that require such finds be reported and handed to Crown officials. The coin is now reportedly in the United States and being cleaned by an expert before it will be auctioned for sale in London in December.
In 2012, a silver Colonial Massachusetts coin from 1652 that was found in a potato field was auctioned for $430,000. Stoner’s coin could bring in $1.7 million, according to the Mail.

Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 38
Re: Mega Money 15th Century Coin Found
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 06:21:13 PM »
Wow!  Be nice to find something like that.  Best I have done is 1856.  I guess that I will have to think about older sites.  Talk about winning the metal detector lottery. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 52
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:11:28 PM »
The east coast stands the greater chance, in particular, Nova Scotia.... hundreds of years of history down there, including all the fishing trade on the Georges and the Bay of St Lawrence, with direct linkage to the New England trade.  Surely there may be a few coins of old vintage lying around just waiting for the astute detectorist.  For our Nova Scotia enthusiasts, try around Canso, Guysborough, Sydney, Lunnenburgh, and similar old ports. 

To add a little intrigue to the notion, from extensive marine research many many years ago, I've uncloaked a location where there would be countless coinage of very early vintage (1600's to late 1800's), except it requires diving - something I haven't done in almost fifty years, and of which, I'd not be doing myself.  If we have an east coast diver/treasure hunter online, with a boat that would be ocean worthy, drop me an email.  This would not fall under the Treasure Trove Act.

Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 132
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 07:58:22 PM »
wow is right my 1969 quarter is almost worth a quarter.considering the canadian  dollar is not worth a pinch of coonscat I might have a wooden nickle.luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.