collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 123 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12956
  • stats Total Posts: 129928
  • stats Total Topics: 18173
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Food for thought - dead man stashes  (Read 9786 times)

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 35
Food for thought - dead man stashes
« on: February 15, 2015, 03:55:49 PM »
I was reading an old magazine and inside one article I read something that made a great deal of sense to me.

Whenever a miner made camp, he would burry his valuables (poke, cash, etc) nearby and not leave them in his tent for fear of theft.  This stash was called a "dead man".  Around a cabin, common places for a dead man was in a corner inside or outside.  In a tent camp, sometimes it was under a rock or even under the campfire.  It makes sense that most people would do this.  Now if anything happened to the man, nobody else would know where to find the stash and it might still be sitting there today.
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 130
Re: Food for thought - dead man stashes
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 07:59:07 PM »
Hey you are so right that was the way of it.Now with todays detectors it can pay quite well too check old mining camps.lots of the old boys went to work and never returned not always by choice. and their stash is still out there.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline PhilipGold

• Kudos: 19
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:35:41 AM »
On some of the claims I have been sometimes there is an actual dead man near the cabins so be carefull with the diggings. Sometimes someone put a more permanent cross (steel or Stainless steel) over the grave. 

I strongly suggest to Download this book: Handbook for the Identification of Heritage Sites and Features

There is a lot of valuable info on mining sites archaeology and how to find the old cache

Heritage Resources Guidelines - Department of Tourism and Culture - Government of Yukon

Offline ryanonthevedder

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Chilliwack
  • Kudos: 18
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 08:43:10 AM »
Gold Trails and Ghost Towns has some great treasure stories. Hundreds of oz of gold and platinum lost through the ages.

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 35
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 10:08:43 AM »
On some of the claims I have been sometimes there is an actual dead man near the cabins so be carefull with the diggings. Sometimes someone put a more permanent cross (steel or Stainless steel) over the grave. 

I strongly suggest to Download this book: Handbook for the Identification of Heritage Sites and Features

There is a lot of valuable info on mining sites archaeology and how to find the old cache

Heritage Resources Guidelines - Department of Tourism and Culture - Government of Yukon

I once hit a jumble of large bones at about 5' digging a test hole in the Cariboo and immediately went "oh oh".  I was relieved when I found the jaw.  It was either a big wolf or dog. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA