collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 224 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12990
  • stats Total Posts: 130581
  • stats Total Topics: 18275
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Fisher GOLD BUG 2  (Read 10249 times)

Offline BC NUGGET HUNTER

• Province/State: Vancouver BC Canada
  • Kudos: 0
Fisher GOLD BUG 2
« on: February 14, 2015, 05:48:50 PM »
Can you run a Fisher Gold Bug with a Larger Coil then a Small nugget coil I would like to run a 10" or 12" coil that I found on EBay just Has anybody esle seen this how will it work
THANKS

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 39
Re: Fisher GOLD BUG 2
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 06:25:19 AM »
Yes.  You can run a larger GB coil.  They have coils up to 14".  Unless the coil you bought was tested for the gold bug, try it out - - it won't hurt the detector, but it may or may not be effective.  The GB2 was designed for finding small gold in less mineralized area.  Increasing the size of the coil will get better depth on larger gold, but less sensitivity to small gold (less depth on sub grain nuggets).  Also, the very large coils affect the weight and balance of the detector - - but who cares if you are finding big nuggets, right?  As by example, in air tests (performance will be worse in mineralization), a 6" coil will detect a 1 grain nugget at 2" and a 1 oz nugget at 8".  The 1 grain nugget will have to practically be on the surface for the 14" coil but it will detect the 1 oz at 14 inches.  So if you are in an area with big nuggets that tend to be deep (ie. it is over 8" to bedrock), then a large coil is the way to go.  If the nuggets are shallow or small, then the small coil. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline undersc0re

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: kamloops
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:49:22 AM »
The gb2, well mine came with the 10" and I threw on the 6" most of the time, either coil picked up pretty mich the same thing for me, I did not do comparrison checks to check depth exactly, I will say you could cover a lot more ground in the same time with the 10 inch. I ultimately got rid of the setup last year as it was wayyyy to sensitive to any minerals, hot rocks graphite etc....it takes some real learning!
I would imagine a 14" would help you cover a whole lot more ground! I never got a chance to try 14" but definetly email fischer and ask if their stock 14" would bolt in place of yours....give them a while to email back. Took a week to hear back from them for me.

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 39
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 03:40:41 PM »
There are also aftermarket coils.  I heard some good things about the NEC Goldstriker, but don't know where it can be purchased.  The other problem with getting multiple coils is the cost.  The darn things can be quite expensive and really the coil that comes with a detector is usually optimum under typical conditions for that detector.
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline AirCanada

• Province/State: Bc
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 04:50:43 PM »
The gb2, well mine came with the 10" and I threw on the 6" most of the time, either coil picked up pretty mich the same thing for me, I did not do comparrison checks to check depth exactly, I will say you could cover a lot more ground in the same time with the 10 inch. I ultimately got rid of the setup last year as it was wayyyy to sensitive to any minerals, hot rocks graphite etc....it takes some real learning!
I would imagine a 14" would help you cover a whole lot more ground! I never got a chance to try 14" but definetly email fischer and ask if their stock 14" would bolt in place of yours....give them a while to email back. Took a week to hear back from them for me.

You are using a GB2 in Kamloops?... wow you must really like the sound of chatter.  Don't get me wrong but I'm not sure how you can use that wand in the field!  Other than the old Falcon rod, I would consider it the be the most sensitive detector for gold there has ever been built.
But at considerably high kHz, you are subject to a tonne of interference.   That is the ultimate detector for fringe detection.
Here is the problem with gold detecting... Gold is not a particularly effective conductor... funny eh?  There are only really 6 or 7 frequencies that resonate with gold... (similar with sound and tuning forks)
I think we may need to have a new topic on just understanding frequency and metal, eddy currents, ground effects, halo effects and mineralization.
Currently i run 10 or so sticks.  for whites, Beach, TDI V3i ... Garret Infinium, ATX, AT pro, AT gold, Tesoro, Sand Shark, U-max, Makro, Fisher GBPro, and several aftermarket and OEM coils for different applications.  Several above and bellow water pin pointers.  There are several I have used and sold as well.  Been doing it for a long time.  Have been a member of "The Ringfinders" group for years.  I'm new to the site, but come with a tonne of experience.
Not tooting my own horn, just want to clear up a few things