collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 125 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12582
  • stats Total Posts: 124324
  • stats Total Topics: 17289
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: Diamond?  (Read 3728 times)

Offline GoldHunter19

• Kudos: 0
Diamond?
« on: December 16, 2014, 08:11:41 PM »
Hello,

I was doing some test panning in a new location and I think I found a diamond but not 100% sure, found it in Central Alberta.

Offline EMF

• Kudos: 33
Re: Diamond?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:59:34 PM »
In that photo it can't be disinguished from any other kind of glassy looking substance. Try looking at it under magnification, and look for triangular shapes in it, either as indentations or raised forms. That would confirm it as a diamond. It almost looks like it has a triangular form toward the bottom close to your finger, but the photo is too blurry to be sure. Diamonds often have a blue glow under UV light too.

Offline blucorundum

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 09:21:31 AM »
if coming out of gravels it could be well tumbled and there will be no triangular surface marks. also there are 3 different ultraviolet lights. short, medium and longwave. find out what length diamonds react to and use that wavelength. a good hardness test kit will also give you a clue.

Offline diamond jim

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 05:06:36 PM »
Keep in mind that fluorescence, or lack of,  isn't definitive in diamonds. Most diamonds don't fluoresce at all. Of the ones that do, the majority fluoresce under longwave light.
Jim

Offline blucorundum

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 07:56:13 PM »
thanks for more info on the diamonds, diamond jim. 

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 29
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 08:30:31 PM »
Unfortunately, a more common mineral that looks like diamond is quartz.  Quartz is hexagonal  (6 sides). When looking down on the crystal from the top, with a jewelers optic, with the point of the crystal aimed at your eye, a diamond will have (only) 4 sides.  Other thing to do is take it to your local jeweler and have them test it with a thermal absorption tester.  Most other tests are indicators.  Good luck with it.  Some diamonds have been found in Alberta
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline Denadii Cho

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Turner Valley
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 11:49:40 PM »
Crystallography: Isometric. Crystals sometimes sharp octahedral, rhombic dodecahedral, cubes, twinning, plates, and combinations with other forms. Crystals modified often rounded and distinguished by the presents of triangular shaped pits on the faces of the octahedral shaped crystals.
Credendo Vedes    In believing, you see.

Offline tonofsteel

• Province/State: SK
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 11:00:23 AM »
I read somewhere that diamonds repel water, is this true and if so can it be used as an indicator?  At one point I found some small rough diamond looking pieces and dropping it into a pan with water residue the water would "run away" from the piece.  Other similar looking pieces from a different place had no effect on the water.

Are there other materials that have the same effect?