collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 161 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130834
  • stats Total Topics: 18306
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: does the folowing info help to determine the possability of gems  (Read 3763 times)

Offline newfoundlandguy

• Kudos: 0
I have found some information that says the avalon zone of Newfoundland is called African suspect terrane and contains mainly subaerial sedimentary rocks , marine sedimentary rocks and volcanic rocks, to me this sounds like an interesting place to start as a new rockhound hobbiest my question is where to start should i buy a gold pan and check every river i can find or would it be better to scour the mountain tops looking for structures of interest many areas here are unexplored and only assessable by walking and making your own trail and thats perfect for me as im in this for the adventure not the drive up to and search any thoughts on where to start would be great also any suggested reading would be great thanks in advance

Offline EMF

• Kudos: 33
Re: does the folowing info help to determine the possability of gems
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 01:07:52 PM »
Another thing to do is to get a copy of a book by John Sinkakas, called "Prospecting For Gemstones And Minerals," ISBN 0-442-27620-6.  It is a thorough guide to the project you want to undertake and it will show you the way to success.

Offline jobinyt

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 20
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 06:21:17 PM »
All the above is excellant - let me just say - not all that glitters is gold - In some areas I find a thousnd times the number of gem than the number of volors - tiny tiny things bright and pretty but of no value or use that I know of.

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 52
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 07:34:18 PM »

The books suggested above are excellent to start with, and as far as the Modern Gold Seekers Manuel, by Tom Bryant, Tom has been a long-time esteemed member here.  Due to personal things he hasn’t posted much since last Fall, yet he has a broad trail of posts on a large number of topics.  Tom was also the first to discover diamonds in Alberta.  Plus, there are many other well experienced gem hunting members and geologists on this Forum.  While paying attention to outcrops, panning the drainage’s is your best way to start out.  However, adjust your panning to recover the ‘medium weight’ fraction for the gemstones – any gold you come across would still be caught.  Regardless of specimen size you turn up, even if they are not big enough to be of value, their worth will prove evident as they are indicators that that type of geology is present.  As in gold prospecting, where you are following its presence up a creek or river, and your foray disappears in the creek gravels, then start looking uphill for its original place of origin.  AND, keep a log of what you’re finding and where (saving coordinates if you can), for there’s nothing worse than finding out you have an important discovery but can’t remember where you got it.

Also, if you can’t identify it in the field, take it with you to determine what it is at a later date.  Learn what you can by reading then be a detective when looking for clues in the field..  Never think big, think micro, the big will then jump out if present and you shouldn’t miss too much that way.

Good luck with your quest.
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline tamarackman

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 10:23:38 PM »
 {-applause-} all really good pointers guys, talk about motivating words.

Offline newfoundlandguy

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 04:12:19 PM »
excellent responses lots of info to look into i'll keep everyone updated with how i do thanks again for all your help

Offline niteshadow

Re: does the bfolowing info help to determine the possability of gems
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 12:58:34 PM »
from the history channel
bauxite [aluminum] and has association with gem stone in Africa
zultanite
zoltinite
might help

Offline diamond jim

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 11
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 01:19:53 PM »
If there are harvester ants in that country, be sure and look at the surface of their mounds. They bring back, from their foraging trips, anything that is extraordinarily heavy. That includes Gold, platinum, and all gems. It can give you a good read on a fairly large area, and quickly. The mounds can be as much as 50 years old, so don't damage them....checking the surface will tell you everything you need to know.
Jim

Offline blucorundum

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 04:36:06 PM »
all good starts. but there are things you only acquire when you get out to prospect, not mentioned in books. on hand experience so to speak. one is light conditions. have had this happen. wall you walked by last week showed nothing, today with bright sunlight shows everything. another is the hardrock or the gravels wet. things show up much better than dry. gravel slopes that are wet show up gem rough real good.