collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 192 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130833
  • stats Total Topics: 18306
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Prospecting on the avalon peninsula of newfoundland for gems  (Read 3716 times)

Offline newfoundlandguy

• Kudos: 0
Prospecting on the avalon peninsula of newfoundland for gems
« on: October 04, 2014, 12:09:13 PM »
hey guys just wondering if you know of any precious gems have ever been found in the province of Newfoundland in particular the avalon peninsula, i know gold has been found and lots of talk of how old our rocks are here but i have never heard of anyone prospecting for gems i have read may articles on the gov website. im interested for a rockhound perspective not a large mining point of view. am i living in a dream world by thinking there is potential for emeralds, rubies or sapphires a lot of people i talk to around here think im nuts but i think its just the old way of thinking, any points of view would be great thanks for your time

Offline newfoundlandguy

• Kudos: 0
Re: Prospecting on the avalon peninsula of newfoundland for gems
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »
this is an interesting read as well but again its gold not gems  <-dont~know->
http://www.nr.gov.nl.ca/nr/mines/investments/CMJ2014_JAN_32-35.pdf

Offline EMF

• Kudos: 33
Re: Prospecting on the avalon peninsula of newfoundland for gems
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 02:42:48 PM »
I am not familiar with the mineral potential of the area you want to prospect, but I know quite well that most people think we are nuts and dreamers when they find out we have an interest in prospecting. It usually starts to quiet down after you come up with some success. Best to keep quiet, study the geology of the gems that hold your interest while comparing that to the geology of your area of interest, and work hard in your exploration. Always keep your eyes open for the unexpected opportunity that may show itself. Once you have a measure of success, you just might find yourself quietly enjoying having those people wrongly believe you're nuts. I've often had to tell folks, "If you knew what I know, you wouldn't be saying that."