collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dhodgins

Dot Guests: 204 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130816
  • stats Total Topics: 18304
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: What if ? ... you know of a virgin creek with very coarse gold and ...  (Read 49137 times)

Offline twobro

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Edmonton
  • Kudos: 0
Re: What if ? ... you know of a virgin creek with very coarse gold and ...
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 06:11:20 PM »
Garnetsootheran, That double oxbow is VERY!!! interesting. You realize that you are making all of us old timers crazy-eerrrr. If you really want a couple of partners to join you for "one last kick at the cat", contact me,via 'E' mail. TWOBRO

Offline twobro

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Edmonton
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 06:14:10 PM »
hanwoz,We need to talk. TWOBRO

Offline Vance in AK

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Kenai, Alaska
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 08:08:57 AM »
Garnetsootheran, That double oxbow is VERY!!! interesting. You realize that you are making all of us old timers crazy-eerrrr. TWOBRO

Figure that whole oxbow was one bif riffle at one time? <-thinking->
Vance in AK
PS119:72. The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces.

Offline garnetsootheran

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Similkameen Mining District
  • Kudos: 29
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 07:42:45 PM »
Don't get thrown off by the big river - notice that it is in a big glaciated valley. It is still in the  process of cutting it's way back down to bedrock and could be thousands of years before it becomes worth prospecting. The side valley with the little creek is much more interesting. The first day prospecting a bare stretch of bedrock produced a 3 gram nugget - this was a half mile up the north fork. A hole at the north fork produced about 4 grams - hole not bottomed, just punched down about 9 feet. A hole just up the east fork produced a gram of gold - also not bottomed at 8 feet. A small bedrock fall a few hundred yards up the north fork produced lots of small nuggets up to 1/2 gram, and just upstream of it a pocket behind a rock produced over an ounce with nuggets just over 1 gram. And way up the north fork well over a mile small chunks the size of the head of a pin were also sniped.
Oh not to give all good news - the rocks on this creek are the size of houses and did I mention the bears?

Big quartz dyke

[attachimg=#1]

Upper falls

[attachimg=#2]

Offline Vance in AK

• PPT Invited
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 11:10:42 PM »
Don't get thrown off by the big river - notice that it is in a big glaciated valley. It is still in the  process of cutting it's way back down to bedrock and could be thousands of years before it becomes worth prospecting. The side valley with the little creek is much more interesting. The first day prospecting a bare stretch of bedrock produced a 3 gram nugget - this was a half mile up the north fork. A hole at the north fork produced about 4 grams - hole not bottomed, just punched down about 9 feet. A hole just up the east fork produced a gram of gold - also not bottomed at 8 feet. A small bedrock fall a few hundred yards up the north fork produced lots of small nuggets up to 1/2 gram, and just upstream of it a pocket behind a rock produced over an ounce with nuggets just over 1 gram. And way up the north fork well over a mile small chunks the size of the head of a pin were also sniped.
Oh not to give all good news - the rocks on this creek are the size of houses and did I mention the bears?

Now that 1st pic is one sweet looking sluice box!!!!!
Bears??  You guys got bears?????
There's a small drainage here, just a couple miles long but very steep & brushy, where we had 3 association claims (double normal size).  In that valley lived several brown bear (the big costal Alaskan grizzly, 9-10' in this area)including one sow that had 3 cubs two cycles in a row.  I tell yu what, you were ALWAYS looking over your shoulder there!!! <-unsure_> Got me a new brush buster for up close bear this year.  Marlin Guide Gun in 450 Marlin.  Makes a guy feel a bit more comfortable.

Your area sonds like a sweet one a couple of partners could just cherry pick & make a nice living off of for quite a while.  I really appreciate the pics & stories.  It's making the winter pass easier.
Vance in AK
PS119:72. The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces.

Offline garnetsootheran

• PPT Invited
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 03:30:46 PM »
Vance - I took in a single shot 12 gauge the first year but it was just too awkward to pack around so I put the cash for a Winchester Defender. That I found was much easier to pack and I also appreciated the seven shot capacity versus the single round. We had two grizzly encounters which each could be a story in itself (good idea for another post) - the first was a nice looking bear with its head inside the tent while the second was a sow with a cub that we accidentally pushed up our trail. Since I am still here the outcome was favorable.

I wish it was easy as just cherry picking this area - although being a little less of a greenhorn now I think I would go about things differently. I read alot about people going to places like Moore Creek to detect and I think that this creek has possibilities that way - although I am not a detector person. For me it is a long trip there and back and there is the logistics of fending completely for yourself for the time you are there - takes extreme commitment.

I'll try to drag up a few more pics.

Discovery! - maybe this is the 'sluice box pic' referred to?

[attachimg=#1]

Offline Vance in AK

• PPT Invited
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 04:04:28 PM »
Vance - I took in a single shot 12 gauge the first year but it was just too awkward to pack around so I put the cash for a Winchester Defender. That I found was much easier to pack and I also appreciated the seven shot capacity versus the single round. We had two grizzly encounters which each could be a story in itself (good idea for another post) - the first was a nice looking bear with its head inside the tent while the second was a sow with a cub that we accidentally pushed up our trail. Since I am still here the outcome was favorable.

I wish it was easy as just cherry picking this area - although being a little less of a greenhorn now I think I would go about things differently. I read alot about people going to places like Moore Creek to detect and I think that this creek has possibilities that way - although I am not a detector person. For me it is a long trip there and back and there is the logistics of fending completely for yourself for the time you are there - takes extreme commitment.

I'll try to drag up a few more pics.

Looking forward to more pics (and some bear stories).
By cherry pick, I simply meant a couple of guys could pick & choose some sweet areas where they used "small scale" gear like highbankers & dredges (if legal) for a summer at a time.  Probably never get rich, but mining 4 months a year & doing a "part time" job the rest of the year would be a ball.
The Defender would be a whole lot more comforting than the single shot!
Vance in AK

Offline siggy

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 04:41:26 PM »
If your done with it  , keep it a secret . Looking for gold is the journey .
Nice to have a dream to find....... :)
tony

vancouver island

Offline garnetsootheran

• PPT Invited
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 05:43:55 PM »
Not really much of a "secret" - many people know about it - just not known here and lots of other places.

I agree - nice to have dreams and this one is out there.

Still looking for more pics!

Offline garnetsootheran

• PPT Invited
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 08:26:18 PM »
When digging pits you have to get your rocks out. Drill and blast was not an option but drill and hoist was.

[attachimg=#1]

Gear Pan
Gold Rat