collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

camper1

Dot Guests: 212 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130877
  • stats Total Topics: 18308
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Rock Mineral Identification Help, and Crystal extraction from granite tips.  (Read 3921 times)

Offline peacedizzle

• Kudos: 0
Hello I have one rock that is white to Identify, I found it in a pile of rocks that were used to make a fence line along my property but the fence line must be at least 100 years old since it is now over run by old growth forest.
I also have 2 pictures of a granite rock I found in the pile that has a cavity of what i believe are quartz crystals that I would like to extract without damaging, what would be the best way to do that and what tools should I use to achieve said goal.

The pictures of the white rock are as follows, (PS this is my first post and i modded it like 10 times already but the pictures are large so if you just click the thumbnails they will literally explode across the screen. I figured out though that if you right click the image youd like to view and press open in new window or tab there is no issues and you can zoom to your choosing.)

White rock with beer cap showing size of rock.

White rock and chunk of white rock in hand. The rock is a white clear crystal throughout the entire rock with what looks like a big metal inclusion in the core changing its color to a darker brown grey

Rock by itself after i chiseled some chunks out of it.

Chunks of the rock from chiseling.

Finally the granite rock I found and the cavity of what i believe to be quartz crystals id like to extract. How should i do that?

Picture of the whole rock Pegmatite granite thing.

Offline EMF

• Kudos: 33
The white rocks look very much like quartz that has been subjected to crushing stresses while underground. I think you should reconsider your ID of the rocks said to be granite and pegmatite, because the photos show a lack of mica. Mica is essential to the definition of the mineral mix that composes granite and pegmatite, and there should also be some feldspar.

Offline peacedizzle

Thanks EMF definately was leaning towards the rock being quartz that was severely crushed. I am getting to the core of it now and the cracks are slowly disappearing and it seems to have a mass of iron inside. As to the second rock I will post another picture of it as it does have Orthoclase running throughout the rock but does seem to lack any of the mica you would expect to find.

Thanks again for the help

Offline EMF

• Kudos: 33
Hi, I had meant to mention that the best way I know of for extracting the crystals is to do some careful cutting with a rocksaw. Also, look carefuly for any other minerals in the sample, which will probably be small in size. That will help in getting the rock identified.

What you have shown is a kind of rock with a structure that usually occurs at the edges and outlying areas of the more homogeneous igneous bodies, where the minerals aren't so thoroughly mixed together, but still in a place where cooling was slow. and those areas are where you are more likely to find the interesting minerals and crystals. You'll just need to track down the origin of that rock.

Offline peacedizzle

haha well the origin is somewhere on my property and probably about 5 feet underground. But i might just start excavating small parcels of land every year and try to get to the bigger pieces of bedrock.