collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 172 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13002
  • stats Total Posts: 130764
  • stats Total Topics: 18300
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Testing a coin pinpointer  (Read 5346 times)

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 39
Testing a coin pinpointer
« on: July 30, 2014, 11:39:50 AM »
I was messing around with a couple of coin pin pointers and thought I would share what I found.  

A while back, I bought a Garrett Pro pointer to use for metal detecting in parks.  I tested it in the shop against a few other units they had on hand and fount the Garrett to be sensitive and practical on coins and rings.  I have since used it lots and it certainly works as designed.  I also just acquired a Minelab Pro-find, which is also an excellent device, but I have only used it once so far.

So I asked myself, "self, do you want to take one of them gold prospecting?".  The answer is yes, IF it will help find placer gold.  There is another brand of pin pointer that is for gold prospecting, but my question is really will these coin units work too?  For sure, they are not quite as sensitive, but do they still have a place?  I was thinking about small shallow cracks and crevices or helping find the target from a larger metal detector.

As such, I performed some tests at home.  On larger gold, above 1/4 ounce either pin pointer worked like a charm.  However, when tested on a little .6 gram nugget, the Garrett led light was very helpful - - because it was needed to help see the little piece of gold....it sure could not detect it until almost touching (1/8 inch).  The Minelab was much better, picking it up at a useful 3/4 inch.    

So the Minelab is going into the pouch for the next trip.  Using it in the field might present additional challenges due to mineralization.  They auto ground balance, so might be even less sensitive than in the test I just performed.

See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline Wrench57

• Kudos: 2
Re: Testing a coin pinpointer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 01:13:15 AM »
I also bought the garret model thinking it would be great
Classify down to 1/8" and test and throw larger pieces out
My mistake it didn't pick up the 1/8" pieces of gold that are flat not even 3/16" pieces
what a waste of money and time

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 39
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 05:29:58 AM »
It is great for finding a ring, pull tab or coin.  The nugget that I tested was slightly larger than a piece of cooked rice and the Garrett failed miserably.  The only pin pointer that I know that would work for the size of gold that you tried is the Falcon.  Again, my test was on a bench at home.  I suspect the results in the field (with mineralization) would be even worse. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline Wil

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 05:59:33 AM »
I have the Garrett too.  OK for coins but that's about all.  I'd go with the Falcon, for gold ...Wil