collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

poncho

Dot Guests: 311 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13016
  • stats Total Posts: 131029
  • stats Total Topics: 18328
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Monte lake area  (Read 17933 times)

Offline undersc0re

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: kamloops
  • Kudos: 2
Monte lake area
« on: July 14, 2014, 07:31:35 AM »
I drive past monte lake quite often, I see these guys pulled over on side of highway and they climb up the rockface along the highway and hammer away at the rock. I should stop one day and ask, I figure someone on here must know what they are after, seems a little dangerous from a highway traffic point of view. It looks as though its been worked hard.

Offline JBeckett

• Kudos: 0
Re: Monte lake area
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 07:46:50 AM »
They are getting agates. Used to be both solid and hollow ones . The area around has agate all over!

Offline undersc0re

• PPT Invited
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:30:42 AM »
Ok, makes sense, being so close to the highway I guess its open to anyone, I will stop by and see exactly what they get from there one of these days when it does not get up to 40 degrees! I like to head straight for Kalamalka without stopping when I go by there! Thanks for the info.

Offline lpsumo

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
I drove that road on the 25th and saw someone with a green hard hat on picking up rocks. Forum member?

I didn't have time to stop that day, but if I did, what would I be looking for? Any picture examples of what can be found there?

We stopped in at Pillar lake which was neat (any idea how that formed? Old volcano neck?) then poked around in Chase creek for a couple minutes as I was told there were blue agates in there. No idea what a blue agate looks like but we found some different rocks. 

Offline Bud_sticks

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 09:12:12 AM »
I would be careful as to where you are looking.  I have been told that the whole area around monte lake is claimed.
Definitely take the time to check the mto website.

But if you come to kamloops at any time.   I know of a couple outcroppings in the area

Offline undersc0re

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 09:28:52 AM »
I drove that road on the 25th and saw someone with a green hard hat on picking up rocks. Forum member?

I didn't have time to stop that day, but if I did, what would I be looking for? Any picture examples of what can be found there?

We stopped in at Pillar lake which was neat (any idea how that formed? Old volcano neck?) then poked around in Chase creek for a couple minutes as I was told there were blue agates in there. No idea what a blue agate looks like but we found some different rocks. 

There is a lot of that same rock you have in your pics up in and around the watching creek area, especially where it meets with Tranquille river.

Offline Bud_sticks

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 07:41:43 PM »
Tranquille has quite a lot of agate.  It is every where.
And every so often you can find one like this.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac105/peteybudsticks/Mobile%20Uploads/20140706_124528_zps1dovfej7.jpg

More pictures can be found here.
What do you think of this?

Offline lpsumo

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 08:14:08 PM »
I would be careful as to where you are looking.  I have been told that the whole area around monte lake is claimed.
Definitely take the time to check the mto website.

But if you come to kamloops at any time.   I know of a couple outcroppings in the area

Thanks

I don't get up to Kamloops much, but when I do I'll let you know!

Offline up the crick

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
I stopped one day and asked a guy who was breaking rocks along that cliff, he reeled off about 7 or 8 things I never heard of, except opal. he said occasionally he finds a bit. <_miner_>