collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

chekaracanada

Dot Guests: 170 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13006
  • stats Total Posts: 130877
  • stats Total Topics: 18308
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Getting started  (Read 3947 times)

Offline Sistermoon

• New user
  • Kudos: 0
Getting started
« on: January 12, 2009, 05:14:55 PM »
This is my first post.  I am researching gold panning and am planning a trip to Northern Ontario.  A friend owns land and I thought that would be a good place to check it out.  Any suggestions?  Anyone know anything about the area north of Kirkland Lake for prospecting?  Thank you!

Offline shiver

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Canada
  • Kudos: 25
    • CGPF
Re: Getting started
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:00:30 PM »
Welcome to the forum Sistermoon!!!  {cool^sign}

Though I'll let someone more familiar with the area help with your question,  here is some resources to get you started... PLACER GOLD IN ONTARIO

VikingSniper

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 07:09:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum Sistermoon  {cool^sign} 8) great to have you here :D

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Lethbridge, Alberta.
  • Kudos: 7
  • Yar der be gold in dem pans!!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 07:19:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum.I heard of drilling projects for diamonds in that area.Look for auhunters post,placer gold in ontario,that would offer you more than enough information leads.   

Offline miikeboyle

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 03:10:57 AM »
Hey, Panning is fun, neccesary for sampling areas to make sure they are gold bearing and practise will see you panning quickly in no time at all, but if you want to move a bit more dirt then you should consider building/ buying a sluice/highbanker as it will allow you to process more dirt in the time your out in the field.

Good Luck.
Mike

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 05:53:29 PM »
Not sure about ontario laws,but in bc you need access to a legal place you can sluice.I still dont get the reasons behind not being able to use them at rec pan sites.Sure does make it hard for anyone trying to start  finding gold.Have to use a pan until you can afford buying a claim,unless someone is kind enough to let you use a sluice on there land.Not to mention you are not suppose to in stream sluice in bc.I am real fed up with the tight restrictions on placer mining these days.It %#$% me off that british columbia was explored Because of gold,all the majour trails and roads were built for the gold rush,now you cant even use a tiny sluice in the river because it gonna hurt the fishies.Im getting real sick of enviromentalists and these stupid regulations,sure the mining industry has done alot of damage in the past,but it is still a majour source of income for British columbia.

I been thinking about going into the states lately there laws are alot easier to deal with.At least you can suction dredge without someone locking you up and taking your equipment.I Know everyone breakks the law abit when it comes to placer mining,These laws must have been written by some enviromentalists,I have seen studies on suction dredging and its effects.I have seen true studies and BS ones.If done properly,at the right times dredging is harmless and is actually better for the fish/enviroment.

Dont bother buying a sluice in British columbia its a waste of your money.Unless you have a claim.
Buy a pyramid pro-pan  it claims to be as fast as a sluice,they cant give you #$^#$^ for using that.

Offline twobro

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Edmonton
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 07:37:29 PM »
Rockpup; As far as I know, you can hand mine in all areas of the province as long as it is not on privately owned property, or First Nations/land/reserves. The cost of a cell/claim is not much considering that you have exclusive rights to ALL placer gold on the cell. As long as the cell is not on /or connected to a restricted /controlled water source. Give your regional Gold Commisioner a call;Ihave found that they are reasonable people,as long as you have reasonable plan in mind.

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 08:15:02 PM »
If you can find a cell on a gold bearing river.Good luck.Its hard to find access to water,not dry enough for a dry-washer? Newbies would have alot of fun trying to run a recirculating system.Trust me thats the situation I am in right now.If you could suggest a gold bearing river thats not claimed up in the cranbrook area I would claim it.Theres not much left to claim.I know of a few spotty creeks,mostly all unaccesable unless by foot.I have one lead on a creek to check out and maybe make a claim on it.The others I could chance but figure way to far from source to produce anything.Just like my moyie river claim,which has nothing on it anywhere,at any depth I have dug or anyplace.If some one wants it they can message me.The two cells above it are in a dangerous hard rock blast zone so I got rid of them.I might try my luck on the kootney for powder gold this year,but I think that is also a waste of time.