collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

KenKlondikeparadigmshiftgeezir

Dot Guests: 129 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12582
  • stats Total Posts: 124319
  • stats Total Topics: 17289
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: Firearms for prospectors  (Read 26425 times)

Offline coastalguy

• "Beware of all enterprises requiring new clothes".. Thoreau
  • Province/State: British Columbia Coast
  • Kudos: 0
  • Easy Living
    • WildernessGold
Firearms for prospectors
« on: July 10, 2007, 01:06:27 PM »
I had heard that prospectors are allowed to carry a sidearm into the bush in BC but that a prospector's license is required.  Is this true and secondly where does one apply for a prospector license for British Columbia (not because I require a sidearm) but would like to move into this field as a vocation.

Thanks....
Gary
Prospecting and metal detecting by boat opens vast new opportunities.

Offline mikeprospecting

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Charlottetown PEI
  • 150 years late
Re: License
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 07:54:58 AM »
Free miners certificate can be purchased from the gold commissioner. I never heard of anybody being able to pack a hand gun around this country for any reason, not without a huge amount of red tape. The permits required to transport from home to range is enough to make most enthusiasts give it up.
A quick call to the Gold commissioner should answer your questions, I personally have been going into the bush unarmed, for 25 years, who needs the extra weight. If your not a canadian citizen, you can probably forget it.

Offline Tolly26

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Nanaimo
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 12:04:59 PM »
Sorry Gary - a Free Miner's Certificate does not entitle you to carry a firearm I'm afraid. 

Regards, Don

Offline coastalguy

• "Beware of all enterprises requiring new clothes".. Thoreau
  • Province/State: British Columbia Coast
  • Easy Living
    • WildernessGold
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 10:53:23 AM »
Thanks MikeProspecting and Tolly (...Tolly refer to cruising boat?)....  I am in Grizz country and frequently in the coastal wilderness of Vancouver Island.  Last bear experience I had was being stalked in Algonquin Park with my brother by a big blackie few years back.  But like yourself have never gone armed into the bush but now that I am get older the thought has crossed my mind. 

In fact, I am relieved we have the controls on hand guns we have in Canada.

Keep well all...
Gary
Prospecting and metal detecting by boat opens vast new opportunities.

Offline mikeprospecting

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Charlottetown PEI
  • 150 years late
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 03:10:51 PM »
hi coastal guy

Those encounters in ontario are different, I think those black fella's there are a little more assertive where humans are concerned, especially in the park. I think you would be better off worrying about cougars on the island. Lost a dog, too a young male, half starved, out in sooke a few years back. There everywhere and usually aggressive. The young hungry ones,anyway.

Find a partener who's not quite as fast on his feet.

Good luck

Offline SnowSpider

• Loving the life
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Thorsby Alberta
  • Kudos: 7
  • Just me
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 07:31:30 PM »
I use to be a Range officer at a gun Range and had my  restricted weapons lic   for hand guns  and yes the BS you need to go thru is amazing just to convey from the house to the range thats why I gave it up myself  But if you have a FAC I know here in alberta you can carry a shot gun  and let me tell you from experience a pump 12 with 1 1/2 oz Poly slugs 3 inch magnum  will def make a Bear of any size stop a final charge if your cool while firing... Im a bow hunter and always have one on my back just in case... and in AB you dont need a lic to hunt Rabbits any time of year   there ya go protection and a good feed if ya catch Bugs nappin...lol

SnowSpider
Cold Wet and Tired aint Prospecting Fun??

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 47
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 12:32:52 AM »
Hi Gary.... and all...

Per the side-arm factor, yes, I do know for a fact that as a Free Miner or Geologist, you can carry a handgun during prospecting, provided you are permitted.  There "may" be a stipulation that prospecting is the main source of your livelihood... of that I am not certain.  However, the holding of a FMC, does not include such right to carry.

Larry
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline willy

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 01:19:31 AM »
 There's a simple solution... BEAR SPRAY!! $35 and no permit required. Up in Ak., I carried a 12 gauge pump and it was a 'bear' to haul around. Now I've got a can of bear spray secured in my chest pocket; ready to rock 'n roll in a split second. Having travelled down south a lot, I can say that a gun makes some people plumb crazy. There was this one guy that was scared of a snake and was blowing .44 rounds at it till he ran dry; he missed. The easy thing to do was walk away. Thing is, when you think like a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail. ..Willy.

Offline Golddigger

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 8
Firearms for prospectors
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 03:00:49 PM »
What are the current Canadian laws concerning carrying firearms for licensed prospectors for self defense against large predators?

I am interested in BC but any info would be nice. Thanx.

minkos61

Re: Firearms for prospectors
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 04:56:10 PM »
Golddiger of coarse no hand guns but as long as you have your P.A.L or P.O.L. you can pack your riffle or shotgun with you.

Ernie