collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 207 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130853
  • stats Total Topics: 18307
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: READ AND WEEP - NEW FEES !!  (Read 39630 times)

Offline blucorundum

• Kudos: 10
Re: READ AND WEEP - NEW FEES !!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 03:14:56 PM »
if both of your claims ajoin each other, even if on one side, or corner ( could be corrected on this?) you can group them into one. that way only one fee. oldtimer friend told me a few years ago the corporations will own it all. let them as he said and go help yourself to theirs. let them pay the fees. they are only interested in money and greed, and will not spend money for security. imagine recovering all that gold and gemstones and not having to deal with them. talked with the president of the eastern chamber of mines, they were not even invited. 

Offline Lakelander

• You can laugh about it !... or you can cry about it ! It's your choice to make !
  • Province/State: Simons Bay
  • Kudos: 3
  • Lost cause
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 03:25:45 PM »
Hey Gord.

If you are only going out with a pan and shovel, or small highbanker sluice, it will have little to no effect on you, You would want to file a SOW ( Statement Of Work ) at the end of your season in order to keep the claim, this should not cost you anything, other then your expenses and travel to do so.

If however you want to bring in any machinery (mechanical means ) you would first have to file a NOW ( Notice Of Work ) this proposal would mean that the government would charge a basic fee for 1 hectare of disturbance (minimum ) of 2000 dollars for the privilege of having the paper work reviewed and processed.

It would basically put any small scale placer miner ( unless they have absolutely spectacular ground ) that processes 5000 cubic meters or less in a year that might find 10000, in gold a season , after the expenses get tallied into a not worth the time to bother position !

The powers that be seem to think a small scale operation does 5000 cubic meters a day !

How are things going in the Yukon is what I am wondering?

It looks more and more appealing every day
A wise Man once said " to beat your fear you must first face your fear " but I say to sneak up behind it and take it by surprise !

Offline gordmanca

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »
Thanks Lakelander, you described me perfect. 15,000 cu/m not likely!
I am sure a lot of people are like me, and the other poster's, where to effectively direct our concerns and opinions?

Self made Bullionaire.

Offline TBark

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 06:40:15 PM »
There is an email address at the bottom of the first PDF file.
I sent my email off last night.
It does seem to invite suggestions, small mining sub-class possibly.
Kind of where most of us would fall if they would recognize smaller NOW machinery, less than 20 HP for instance.
Would be nice to be exempt from these proposed fees, Worth a try.
Another disappointing point on this is the $2k fee seems to be for review of NOW application, non refundable if it is reviewed,
Does not say non refundable if accepted or not, sounds like the keep the cash even if NOW app is accepted or declined.
And hard to believe they feel this new small mining fee of $2k will only be a 2-3% increase in mining cost to tenure owner, man.

TBark

Offline Lakelander

• You can laugh about it !... or you can cry about it ! It's your choice to make !
  • Province/State: Simons Bay
  • Lost cause
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 07:41:01 PM »
you are right crew cut.... my bad !

Yes you can and should talk to a mines inspector for clarification before using anything more then a pan, to see if they want a NOW or not... to date the answer has always been you do not need a now for any hand work we have done.

That would be especially scary to have to fork over 2 grand just to go play with a spade shovel !

but I also have a feeling there will be a big scrap with the gov if they want to ram this through with a one size (actually 3 ) fits all  mentality.
A wise Man once said " to beat your fear you must first face your fear " but I say to sneak up behind it and take it by surprise !

Offline benttip

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 10:31:12 PM »
lakelande  r"but I also have a feeling there will be a big scrap with the gov if they want to ram this through with a one size (actually 3 ) fits all  mentality.".. ..i believe the govt will do whatever they want to and there will be lots of whining and crying but nothing will stop them..reality im afraid..

gold one

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 04:48:00 AM »
Another excellent post...reminds me of an earlier post...2010 l believe. ..my computer won't copy  QUOTES  ? thanks to garnetsootheran,  his words. ..

Once again the government is proposing changes to the way they lighten our wallets, and usually a proposal means it is already a done deal.From what I gather in trying to understand the info posted in this thread - Some New Rates for Placer and Mineral Claims and Leases - I will soon be paying double to keep my placer tenures. Now this idea of raising the fee structure is not new as I still remember paying $5 a year for an FMC as well as $5 a year for a drivers license. All things eventually go up in cost - if only our income could keep up.Now as I see it part of the reasoning for a new fee structure is due to nothing having changed in over 20 years and part in trying to stem the tide of paper stakers who hold tenure (too many tenures) by paying the daily fees and never setting foot on their ground.On the first note it seems reasonable to have some sort of fee increase if only to cover the basic costs to government which have been increasing over these same years. Now as far as doubling the amount I have to pay for this I doubt if the government costs have increased that much when it comes to managing a placer tenure. Unfortunately I do not know what that figure is so I can not comment further other than to say it seems unreasonable.On the second note I dislike the fact that a few people seem to think that with unlimited funds they can just acquire as much ground as possible without any thought of getting onto the ground. The only thought seems to be one of hoping for some big payoff in the for seeable future - one that likely never comes. That ground is for all purposes dead and any wealth it contains is locked up as tight as a bank vault.The purpose of the Mineral Tenure Act is to have the minerals of the province exploited for the benefit of the province. In all cases it is not mining that creates wealth for the province. The wealth from a mine goes to the business that owns and operates it. The wealth to the province come from exploration of its mineral resources. There are thousands more exploration projects than operating mines.Those showings of mineralization that are scattered across the vastness of the province are like seeds that need millions of dollars poured upon then in order to grow. All that money spent on exploration and development is where the real wealth to the province lies. First comes a small sample that needs to be assayed, then to a crew pouring across the ground to try to delineate an ore body, then a drill rig to try to prove that an ore body does exist to perhaps a complete halt when results just don't look good enough. But then that showing does not just go away because it will likely get picked up by another company who will raise another few million dollars to try their hand at proving that a mine can exist. In some cases the cycle is endless.All of this exploration in the millions of dollars provides jobs, usually high paying jobs. Those jobs trickle the money right down to everyone, geologists, assayers, drillers, equipment suppliers, truckers, laborers, grocery stores, motels, bars, entertainment stores, etc. etc. etc - even the unfortunate on welfare. That money goes everywhere and touches everybody.When the mineral assets are tied up with no exploration within a reasonable time they tie up the very money that keeps us all going - the unfortunate result is we all get poorer. It is a sad situation at best.I do not like paper stakers. I feel they are sucking the life out of the mineral industry. If you are going to acquire tenure then you should have to get out and prospect it - not sit in front of a computer and acquire more tenure while you pay your daily fees. This does not seem acceptable to me.As for griping to the government about their new fee structure, yes I will get my comments in - their proposal says to have your comments in by Oct 15. Mine will be there.I have always thought that the Yukon model of having to be on your ground year after year to keep it is a workable one. It requires money to be spent but that money does not just go into the government coffers it goes to gas stations, grocery stores, truck dealers, hardware stores etc. And for that one year you can't seem to get out then pay that assessment fee to somebody to go out and dig holes for you - better than giving it to the government to spend on something stupid. Besides they get their take in taxes.I would recommend that everyone who has an interest in this to make yourself aware of what the proposals are and if you don't like them then give the government a good alternative - but don't be surprised if the outcome does not change because like I said I think it is already a done deal.My biggest move at this point is I have spent this season working all my tenures hard to try and acquire a buffer between now and the new structure - I am working as far into the future as my wallet will allow knowing that I will double my money when the cards are laid on the table. Time to get a few more days out on the claim...................  Logged

Offline tamarackman

• PPT Invited
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 06:53:12 AM »
This isn't good at all! I've been hand sampling my claims and looking for the right one to work on a small scale for the last cpl years. Hoping to find enough workable ground to file a NOW and do a sample project with my small machine. It takes time and patience when one has to work all the time just to pay the bills and only get out on some weekends, to hear this may go through just hurts. How is a local small time prospector gonna make it? We gotta spend lots already just to get to the point where we can roll the dice, to through this on top just makes a guy sick!  <-dont~know->

Offline directmule

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 01:07:21 PM »
And top of that, you can look at more fees (TAXES) for you quad owners, see:

Bill 13 — 2014: Off-Road Vehicle Act

Let's see, a new fee for plates, a new fee to transfer it, and let's not forget sales tax now, but remember, they are not raising taxes. 

Offline Dragline

• Kudos: 2
  • Dirty rivers need vacuuming
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 07:21:42 PM »
What I would like to know is, who is the genius responsible for the idea? This kind of thing doesn't just materialize out of thin air. Someone had to have the original idea and I want to know who that is. Is it the minister of mines? If so that minister should be fired and replaced immediately. This isn't a money grab approach this is a predator prey thing whereby the meek are consumed by the rich. There are a few people out there right now rubbing their greedy little fingers together right this minute hoping no one has the nuts to complain. There are a few greedy claim holders right this second thinking, what am I gonna do with all the 70-80 or 100 + claims I'm hoarding? Can't sell em to the little guy any more because they can't afford to mine em! You guys and gals with more claims than you can mine know who you are and should be ashamed of yourselves for creating this type of mess!
The only people who stand to gain from this is big money, ain't that just the way? I for one will be protesting LOUDLY! They haven't heard the first or last of me. I won't go down easily. If they screw me around I'll mine illegally!

Gear Pan
Gold Rat