collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

BC Handymangeezir

Dot Guests: 117 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12582
  • stats Total Posts: 124312
  • stats Total Topics: 17287
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: Sluice Pump  (Read 14153 times)

Offline Tolly26

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Nanaimo
  • Kudos: 0
Sluice Pump
« on: June 28, 2007, 05:09:14 PM »
Update June 30 - I found the regulation I was looking for.....

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/E/EnvMgmt/107_89.htm

Seems that a pump intake diameter of 38 mm (1.5") or less will exempt the miner from the Environmental Management Act during the exploration phase (provided some conditions on handling tailings are met).

I'd like to know what kind of small gasoline powered pumps people are using for feeding small exploration sluice boxes these days.  When I last held a Free Miner's Cert in 1986 we were limited to a maximum 1.5" pump to qualify as "hand operated".  (But then you also had to drive 4x4 posts in the ground and hang placer tags on them - everything seems easier now.)  Is there still a limit on pump size for the little guy?

I've noticed that there are a large number of imported pumps on the market at about half the price of a new Honda.  I like reliability and am willing to pay for it but if the cheapies are doing the job then ....

Looking forward to hearing who is using what - thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

All the best - Don

Offline Fraitzl

• PPT Invited
Re: Sluice Pump
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:47:15 PM »
Hello
You can use a 1.5" pump and even a hand feed trommel but only operate in the dry.
here is the guide rule
Hand miners are permitted to operate in-the-dry on unvegetated portions of gravel bar providing that they adhere to the following:
a) The term " operate in the dry" applies to all aspects of hand mining including the excavation of gravel
b) The sluice box and settling pond must be located a minimum of 3 metres from the waters edge
c) There must be no discharge of silty water into the watercourse
d) All excavations must be levelled and contoured as gravel is processed in order to avoid the persistence of any depressions which might entrap     fish should water level rise
e) The storage of fuel is not permitted on gravel bars or anywhere else within the 10 metre riparian buffer

hope this helps
regards
Franz Fraitzl

Offline Greg in BC

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Dawson Creek
  • Kudos: 5
  • Golden memories are not always of gold.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 10:20:08 AM »
Fraitzl, can you help me out with a link to where this information came from so that I have the link in my own files and if I am asked in the field by someone who does not know the reg then I can present the info (respectfully).

Thank you  :)
Greg

Offline mebeggs

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 07:34:48 PM »
On the subject of Sluice pump - I'm trying to get an idea of the GPM or GPH needed for a A51 10"x36" sluice.  I've managed to run classified concentrates through with my garden hose, which I calculated to be just under 10GPM.  I understand that less flow is needed for finer cleanup, because you don't need the force to push the larger material out, and it may blow out your fine gold.
But I also rented a hi-banker at the local goldmine, and they feed it with like a 4HP gas powered pump.  I don't know the GPH, but it seemes like a lot!  I can't believe it catches the gold.  But I'm still learning how sluices work and what they're capable of.
I'm looking for a pump to recirculate through the sluice for reducing my concentrates at home, and reduce panning.  A 1200 GPH bilge pump at walmart looks like it may work well, but can they be submerged completely? 

Still learning... :-\
Any advice appreciated.

Offline Greg in BC

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Dawson Creek
  • Golden memories are not always of gold.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
Fraitzl when you say
Hand miners are permitted to operate in-the-dry on unvegetated portions of gravel bar providing that they adhere to the following:
a) The term " operate in the dry" applies to all aspects of hand mining including the excavation of gravel

Do you know how that might apply if you start in the dry and then your hole begins to fill with water as you get deeper?

Offline MephistoCat

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 09:32:13 PM »
DON, dont waste your hard earned fiat notes (money) on the cheap import pumps. I got one from Princess Auto with a 1.5" nozzle and it was utter garbage.  Spend the bucks on a Honda engine or a Briggs and Stratton or simialr.
used to be Mephisto here.........now im back as MephistoCat!

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Lethbridge, Alberta.
  • Kudos: 7
  • Yar der be gold in dem pans!!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 03:34:58 PM »
We have a princess auto pump,yeah my buddy got a deal on it like $30 so if it goes no loss.I am using a 900 gph bilge pump on my poop-tube and its 6 feet but has a real steep angle to get most blonde sand out.Not sure if too steep of a angle matters.I ran my 5 test lead pieces and never lost any each time.Not sure about the fine gold,hard to test at home unless got pay dirt.I might cheeze grate some lead then pan tailings see whats up.I added expanded metal and carpet to the last 16" of sluice.

Offline WorkinHard

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Kelowna
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 04:26:03 PM »
DON, dont waste your hard earned fiat notes (money) on the cheap import pumps. I got one from Princess Auto with a 1.5" nozzle and it was utter garbage.  Spend the bucks on a Honda engine or a Briggs and Stratton or simialr.

Someone here knows what money really is. :)  <-good_>

Offline oilfieldsafety

• PPT Invited
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 08:04:26 AM »
There are three of us that regularly head out together that are using the PA 1 1/2" pumps without a problem as long as you keep crud out of the fuel tank. I will admit that I would prefer to get the 1 1/2" Honda for the improved size, weight and GPH.

Cheers

Offline Former Guest

• New user
  • Kudos: 23
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 09:13:56 AM »
I run in Ab here is what i do. I am 14 inch wide and 8 feet long, i run an 8 inch drop and 2inch high volium pump. Set sluice at 8 inch drop and pound the water full throttle through it with just miners moss with no riffles look at my pics for size of gold i trap, this is the answer for Alberta cheers Ray