collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 162 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12992
  • stats Total Posts: 130653
  • stats Total Topics: 18283
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Core Drill?  (Read 8666 times)

Offline Seeker

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC Canada
  • Kudos: 9
Core Drill?
« on: December 31, 2008, 10:51:13 PM »
Has anyone built a homemade core drill? I've heard of people converting weed wackers,  Any idea's?

Offline 1oz

• Kudos: 0
Re: Core Drill?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 05:50:17 PM »
Hi,
that sounds like an interesting "hardware hack", what is a weed wacker????, i'm from australia so terminology may be different.

cheers

Offline pasty

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:25:55 PM »
I think you should be looking at a small gas ice auger for your drive. Then you have to get let say a 7/8 core barrel, some 7/8 drill steel, a water swivel , make a frame ( deep rock water drill ) out of 3/4 EMT, a small hand winch to lift your steel out of the hole and most but not lest 7/8 core bits . Then you will need a water pump to feed and wash out your hole. ( lube. your bits } I made one But never got to use it. I have a 7/8 core drill but it takes 2 men to move it around, comes with 65 feet of steel plus 2 core barrels , 2 FT. plus a 4 Ft. runs on a 12hp. brigs. Let me know if I can be of any help , Pasty

Offline Denadii Cho

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Turner Valley
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 03:50:44 PM »
I wonder if this unit could be used for core sampling.  With a proper bit.....

Hydra-Drill Home Page

What do you think?
Credendo Vedes    In believing, you see.

Offline centennial

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 12:47:16 AM »
Ive just built one for underground use, fitted a large ingersal rand air drill to a pusher leg and a water swivel to the drive. Ive got 30 metres of drill rod. Ive made a core barrel 1.5 mtr long out of 40mm stainless tube, for the core bit Ive silver soldered some diamond core segements to the end of the stainless tube, will probably have to replace them every 10 mtrs or so but their easy to solder and cost about $40 AUS for 4 segements. Am taking it up to the mine this weekend to try out, Ill take a few photos and let you know how it goes

Offline goldmember333

• Province/State: montreal,quebec
  • in a sea of gold
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 09:53:46 PM »
den cho
looks like a good unit what s important is gearing and the ability to be able to remove the core as needed
good luck

Offline angel123

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 03:35:44 AM »
Hi..I do not have any idea about the home made core drill..I'm as new as you in that topic..But even i have heard that people do converting weed wackers.Weed wackers are used to easily cut weeds from sidewalks or stoops. After you use your weed wacker, you might just set it in a corner in your garage..

Offline AUssie

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Abbotsford, B.C.
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 03:11:08 PM »
Hi,
that sounds like an interesting "hardware hack", what is a weed wacker????, i'm from australia so terminology may be different.

cheers
I know you asked this ooyonks ago, but a weed wacker is a petrol whipper snipper

Guy

Gear Pan
Gold Rat