collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 182 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13020
  • stats Total Posts: 131082
  • stats Total Topics: 18333
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Tips on doing a fire assay  (Read 14965 times)

Offline brianzz5150

• New user
  • Kudos: 0
Re: Tips on doing a fire assay
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 07:06:32 AM »
 Torchassay by Charles Butler at Butler Lab

Offline Johnny

• Province/State: Westminster, CO USA
  • Kudos: 1
  • Rocky Mountain Adventure Guide
    • Learn Gold Prospecting
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 07:54:08 AM »
Howdy!
Butler lab... very cool... tons of info and good folks too! Thanks for the link
Lots to learn about all this stuff..... but then who really does KNOW IT ALL? not me that's fer shur!
Happy Trails,
Johnny

Offline Richard36

• Province/State: Oregon
  • http://geotechanalytical.weebly.com/index.html
    • Geo-Tech. Analytical "When you want to know what it is, and what it's worth".
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 10:27:37 PM »
Hello Johnny. It seems that you are learning. It is true, learning how to do an assay through the school of hard knocks is not fun, nor is it cheap. I took a course to avoid the most of that, but yes, it was still expensive. To do an assay yourself, even when you know how, as I do, it still adds up fast. I discovered right quick not to assay every promising looking highly mineralized rock that I found, do to the cost involved in doing so. Assays are not cheap, even when doing them yourself, especially when you have several samples to assay. If I remember right, I sent you at least one flux formula. Use 10 grams of sodium nitrate, or Potassium nitrate and a couple of iron nails within the assay to burn up, and complex the sulfur off to the slag, rather than roast the sulfides before the assay. It works. Sincerely; Rick.
May your pan be full of Gold, and your pockets full of Nuggets. Sincerely; Rick. .... Geo.-Tech.Analytical.
Geo-Tech. Analytical - Home Page

Offline THE GOLD PIRATE

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 06:06:11 PM »
I was hoping that someone would have a little experience with the different recipies for flux... seems to make a lot of difference .... but as I said... it's been a long time since high school chemistry don'cha know!

hey jonny the best person i know about the flux is  YELLOW CHICK( MEGAN ROSE ) !!!!! SHE HAS SOME OF THE BEST PRICED FLUX I HAVE SEEN OUT ON THE MARKET BY FAR!!!!!   for the price you get your moneys worth and it comes with a cd/dvd to help you out with every thing you need man!!!!  like i said best bang for your buck!!!! and you can get intouch with here on the website man!!!!!

THE GOLD PIRATE

Offline THE GOLD PIRATE

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 06:31:12 PM »
Should always wear a respirator with active carbon filter. If you can smell it your breathing it in. Something I have said before but can't be said enough. Do not stand directly up wind as this causes a vacuum that will pull it right to you. Stand to one side allowing the air to pass by.
Chuxgold. <-thinking->

YOU HAVE A GOOD POINT THERE ...  you should always do this out doors Never in the shop unless you have a Well Ventilation in the shop.... that i do have, I have 3 vent fans in the shop 2 big fans and on in the window to bring in fresh air !!! just a tip for some of you out here.... just like many have said " THINK SAFETY FIRST !!!!

Offline Richard36

• Province/State: Oregon
  • http://geotechanalytical.weebly.com/index.html
    • Geo-Tech. Analytical "When you want to know what it is, and what it's worth".
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 07:25:36 PM »
I have found that for those proficient in working around chemicals, it can be less expensive if making your own flux. If interested, PM me and I will give you a free formula. Sincerely, Rick
May your pan be full of Gold, and your pockets full of Nuggets. Sincerely; Rick. .... Geo.-Tech.Analytical.
Geo-Tech. Analytical - Home Page

Offline Johnny

• Province/State: Westminster, CO USA
  • Kudos: 1
  • Rocky Mountain Adventure Guide
    • Learn Gold Prospecting
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 05:28:03 AM »
WOW... Thanks to one and all!
Richard 36 your tips have been very valuable to us... thanks again.
YellowChick... I think we gotta talk... I found your lead watchacallems on the auction site and looks like we need to order up a few of those bags.
We sell Tourism Related real estate and it's been pretty busy so we haven't had much time to play with the kiln here lately. We also lead field trips prospecting for diamonds and gold along the state line here in Colorado. 150th anneversary of the Pikes Peak or Bust gold rush this year. Learn Gold Prospecting! How and Where to find Gold and Gems!
Headed up to BC first of Aug. we will finish up our paperwork get a FMC and enjoy running the dogs and doing a little digging on our fraser river claims.
Chuxgold... I shoulda bought that Butler kit... (somehow I knew I'd be saying that) I really liked your highbanker video... where in Oregon are you actually?
But, like always, winter will come around and I'll be back crushing and melting.
Happy Trails,
Johnny Walker
303-884-9404

ClickTheYellowChick

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 03:03:45 PM »
WOW... Thanks to one and all!

YellowChick... I think we gotta talk... I found your lead watchacallems on the auction site and looks like we need to order up a few of those bags.

But, like always, winter will come around and I'll be back crushing and melting.
Happy Trails,
Johnny Walker
303-884-9404

Johnny, I don't know how this economy is affecting your property showings, but I willing to wager your "prospecting tours" are a "hot ticket item" this summer. 

As my momma usta say: "Lord willin' and the creek don't rise," I'll be around when you're ready t'go"  <-yes_>

Kind regards

PS...I bet Chuxgold still has that Butler kit for sale...why not PM him and ask?  Can't hurt anything!

Gear Pan
Gold Rat