collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 122 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12977
  • stats Total Posts: 130236
  • stats Total Topics: 18221
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: * Changing Landscapes *  (Read 2250 times)

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 52
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
* Changing Landscapes *
« on: December 27, 2008, 05:00:48 PM »
Most everyone prospecting for good placer ground leans back in time to historical reports, period photos and the like, for evaluating an area’s potential. From our strenuous  work, we conclude to certain visions-in-mind, however, there remains one consideration we fail to factor in. That being, the possibility of arriving at our favored location to then realize an altogether different landscape. That which used to be, say 50 years ago, 75 years ago and 100 or more years ago, has changed its appearance, and sometimes, the changes has affected the ground’s potential.  As an example, I am including a photo of a location where we hold title to, and of which held good “panning” gold back in the 30’s. Size was 1mm to 3.5mm and taken straight from the creek - - ideal for uncloaking with today’s detector. Yet, on our first trip there, the scene was totally different than the vision that was in mind.  Please see the photos:

That which used to be a creek, is now one massive swamp, and no indication of exactly where the creek’s original course once flowed. As best as I can conclude, somewhere during the past 70 to 75 years, further downstream, the beaver must have dammed the area, thus rising water levels to such state that the majority of the area is now but a tangled-up swamp. It sure put the dampers on big plans for that day, but by far, we’re certainly not done with that property yet.

Landscapes do change !  So bear this in mind when researching.
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline deserdog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: USA California
  • Kudos: 4
  • On the creek,, moving some material!
Re: * Changing Landscapes *
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 05:57:51 PM »
Landscapes do change over the years. There are many, many tales of prosepctors finding good ground, and then not being able to find it years later because how much the land has changed.
Cannot find if you do not look!

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 52
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
Re: * Changing Landscapes *
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 08:59:16 PM »
Another sequence that can alter landscape is forest fires. There are many lost mine tales relative to just that. I'd worked on such a tale for several years, and concluded that I knew exactly where it was. This was just over the border, into the northeast sector of Washington State, yet, I never found opportunity to seek it out on the ground. As it was, about three years later I read an article about some person finding this old lost deposit, fortifying my research and detective work. Though not physically touched by my hand, it was still good to see the riddle of the lost mine solved.
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat