collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

garryk50

Dot Guests: 173 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12501
  • stats Total Posts: 124059
  • stats Total Topics: 17149
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: RED ALERT !!! BEWARE !!!  (Read 7013 times)

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 47
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
RED ALERT !!! BEWARE !!!
« on: June 19, 2007, 08:50:45 PM »
Anyone owning one or more mineral or placer properties in British Columbia be aware of what appears to be a scam of some sort.

Earlier today I was approached by an individual by the name of Karl (last name withheld) out of Alberta, in regard to him wanting to purchase a mineral property here in BC, for people he represented out of Quebec. His proclamation was that it didn’t need to have mineral/metal worth to it at all, but had to be situate over an old pre 1913 Crown Grant, reverted or otherwise. Amazingly, he was prepared to offer from between $3,000 to $300,000, without much question asked.  Questions.... were one thing he did not like.

His rambling carried him into nonsensical talk about Quebec Separation and how such pre 1913 aspect was linked to the Federal Reserve Act (?????) and would be of some concession to the “unidentified” separatist parties he represented. Several times he was asked who these people were and each time he became more and more evasive.  When pressed into a corner for the names, I could not believe the antics… thus, I terminated contact.  He is most definitely up to something, so Beware!  And also be on the look out for AB (403) telephone numbers beginning with the prefix’s 730 and cellular 606, (the remaining digits withheld) in regard to such type of property right transactions.

Hopefully, this “Caution” might save someone a lot of grief.

Anyone else with RED ALERTS, feel free to use the board, while exercising identifying discretion.

Larry
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline gangesex

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 0
Re: RED ALERT !!! BEWARE !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 03:02:06 PM »
What a bozo. I could call him worse but I dont want to get red flagged because Im a new user. Gold just brings them out of the woodwork. Man you being in the claims business you must hear from them all.

It takes all types I suppose

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 47
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 05:54:34 PM »
Hi GS

Thanks for your supportive comment, but no one needs be concerned about any Red-Flagging unless their expressed interest is to take advantage of others, or, are otherwise up to something unethical or illegal.  The incident cited delved heavy into both spectrums.  I truly felt it pertinent to caution others.

Seems its only been on the rare occasion I get a chance into the forum to chat with folks and am going to have to change that. I’ve just been overly busy the past couple of years with all our properties, reports and all that nice stuff.  Actually, I don’t really regard myself as being in the claims business, per se, quite to the contrary, as we are deep into mineral explorations throughout the entire province.  Just trying to thin out our portfolio a bit, to where one can capture chance to breathe again.

Am certainly looking forward to future posts from our many members, on their trials and tribulations with their own prospecting and mining ventures, both placer and hardrock.  And their sharing of ideas and suggestions that will benefit all.  Please do feel free to post and chat with others.

Best regards,
Larry
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline goldhound

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 09:11:39 PM »
Larry,

You certainly are one hard-working guy, and I certainly appreciate all the great things you do by providing this forum.

Still chasin' the gold,

Goldhound

Offline Rollin Stones

• Province/State: Whitecourt Alberta
  • Kudos: 0
  • May the stones you roll be previously unrolled
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 08:11:25 AM »
Sounds like they think they have a loophole for land claims. If I were in charge I'd have them stoned publicly with leverite for suspicion of treason.  <-thinking->

Offline Wil

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 06:33:59 AM »
I just got a warning from a friend living in northern Alberta.  He was out of the house so his wife took the call; some dude claiming to be their Internet Provider (which he wasn't) wanted information from his computer, even offering to guide her through the process.  When she refused he got very upset and began harrassing her.  Later, they were able to get the '730' area code on their reverse telephone number recorder and even though as a retired AGT employee he's pretty adept at tracking down phone numbers the complete number was somehow hidden.  Be careful!  ...Wil

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 151
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 09:09:03 AM »
This computer repair scam has been going on for some time. Run from offshore call centers they calim to be with your service provider or with Microsoft etc.
Say there is a bug that needs fixing and talk you through the "repair'. In fact they talk you into setting your computer up so they have remote access.
Very VERY slimy bunch.

Here is one such iteration on the theme:

Sponsored by
 Warning over computer phone scam
Published on Saturday 21 May 2011 05:00

COUNCIL bosses are warning residents to be on their guard against phone scammers.

The council’s trading standards team has received a number of reports of fraudsters cold-calling people, claiming to be from computer firm Microsoft and offering to fix a fake problem.

They talk the computer owner through a process that makes them believe it has a serious virus problem which will make it unusable if they do not act immediately.

Once the conman has gained the computer owner’s trust, they direct them to a website and tell them to download a program that gives them remote access to the computer.

The fraudster then takes control of the computer and claims to know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it – and asks for a fee.

Coun Tracey Dixon, lead member for leisure and community safety on South Tyneside Council, said: “Anyone who receives an unsolicited call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft should hang up.

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Golddigger Greg

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 08:36:08 AM »
I've gotten numerous calls from these tech scammer "guys", it's hilarious and very frustrating! Hilarious in that I'm supposed to believe that someone barely able to pronounce Microsoft is gonna help me fix my computer! Yeah....., you're from Microsoft...., go on...., lol!!!@* Even had one of these turds get so angry that I wasn't taking him seriously he told me to..., well, let's just say that I'm not THAT double jointed! Frustrating because the first guy got so angry he's passed my number to numerous other "techies" just for spite, and I get at least a call a week.., they have no reason to abide by my "DO NOT CALL" request as any legit telemarketer will, they are after all out to break the law in the first place.
I got a scam request through my email just yesterday from an outfit that has some 300kg of gold concentrates for me in Ghana, all I need to do is go there and supervise an assay, sign off on it by filing the required paperwork with the Ghana government, and providing a letter of credit for the goods and transport costs..,lucky me! <-yahoo_>

All kidding aside..., in this day and age of info available at your (and everyone else's)  fingertips, you got to be more vigilant than ever protecting what is yours; the buggers are getting more crafty every day!

Offline ELStopaRatta

• Province/State: BC
  • Learning Hardrock mining the HARD way.
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 09:07:17 AM »
Thanks for looking out Larry! <-good_>
The tallest trees from acorns grow.