collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

garryk50suburbanator

Dot Guests: 134 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13020
  • stats Total Posts: 131082
  • stats Total Topics: 18333
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Building a collection chamber to go with the gold sucker  (Read 4259 times)

Offline deserdog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: USA California
  • Kudos: 4
  • On the creek,, moving some material!
Building a collection chamber to go with the gold sucker
« on: December 26, 2008, 07:11:05 AM »
Building a collection chamber is easy. Here is a list of parts you will need.
1 1 inch pvc wye
1 1 inch male electrical adaptor   (Cantex brand if you can find them)
1 1 inch female electrical adaptor(Cantex brand if you can find them)
1 2 inch to 1 inch slip pvc bushing
1 2 inch slip pvc coupling
1 2 inch plumbing test plug
A little inch pvc pipe
3 inches 2 inch pvc

First cut your pipe. Measure inside the wye, and inside each of the pvc fitting, and take off about an 1/8 inch of the total, it is better to be a little short than long.
Glue the male adaptor into the top part of the wye, glue the femal adaptor to the bottom part of the wye, and the glue the 2 inch by 1 inch bushing to the side of the wye. Then glue the 2 inch coupling to the 2 inch bushing, and glue the short piece of 2 inch pipe into the coupling. Let the glue set, and then you can put the 2 inch test into the 2 inch pipe and tighten the wing nut.

Here is picture of a finished collection chamber with a 1/2 inch nozzle screwed onto it.

Cannot find if you do not look!

Offline geo_tonz

• Rocknerd Extrodinaire
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Courtenay
  • Kudos: 1
  • Don't tell me... it's right behind me isn't it?
Re: Building a collection chamber to go with the gold sucker
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 01:58:42 AM »
What about putting a check-valve behind the nozzle (one-way into the gold sucker) another on the collection chamber outlet instead of the plug (one-way out of the collection chamber) and a fitting to run a flexible line from the collection wye into a bucket. Then you draw it back which opens the 1st valve, closes the 2nd and inhales material and water to the main chamber. Then push it out which closes the 1st valve, opens the 2nd and pushes the material and water out the flexible tube into the bucket. Continual pumping would result in a continual pulsing flow of material into the bucket without doing the suck & empty, suck and empty plus there'd be next to no material loss due to when you have to take the gun out of the water to empty it. It wouldn't make the unit any less portable. Just maybe half a pound heavier and you'd have to carry a small coil of garden hose or whatever you use. This must have been done before I'm guessing?

Offline deserdog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: USA California
  • Kudos: 4
  • On the creek,, moving some material!
Re: Building a collection chamber to go with the gold sucker
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 08:12:02 AM »
Adding the check valves has been done many times before. There are a some units on the market now. The problem I have with units like this is that invariably, you get clogs. A pebble will get stuick in one of the check valves and then you have to stop and unjam the valve. I have made some myuself, and this is was with home made check valves. The ones you buy off the shelf really get jammed easy. But I still had the same problem. The valves would get stuck open. That is why I don't make and sell any units with check valves because I  was never happy with how they worked.

Even with check valves, you will lose a small amount of material at the end of the nozzle on any hand dredge.

In lots of areas, you don't need check valves anyway. They would just slow you down. And I speak from experience, I get out on the creek at least once or twice every week, and have been doing so for years and years. 
Cannot find if you do not look!

Gear Pan
Gold Rat