collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 222 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12990
  • stats Total Posts: 130580
  • stats Total Topics: 18274
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Whites GMT  (Read 35755 times)

Offline Bradheddle

• Kudos: 1
Whites GMT
« on: June 30, 2013, 05:48:27 PM »
Anyone familiar with whites gmt? Just got one and hoping someone has some tips on using the iron trigger on the handle? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline diamond jim

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 11
Re: Whites GMT
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »
If you push the trigger forward, it activates the "iron grunt" tone when the probability of iron is above 85%. If you pull the trigger toward you, it activates the "iron grunt", but also activates an analyze mode that accumulates data with each sweep, to help identify the target. You may not get the grunt at first, but as the unit analyzes the data, you may get the grunt after a few sweeps. You may also see the probability of iron go down as the unit analyzes the target. In the forward position, there is no analyzing.
Jim

Offline Bradheddle

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 06:39:11 PM »
Thanks for the info Jim I never knew above analysation on the back trigger. So essentially if I have it set backwards and I hit a target that it says is a high iron probability it will analyse it an it could possibly go back down?

Offline diamond jim

• PPT Invited
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:17:09 AM »
Yup...hold the trigger back, and make several sweeps over the target. Be sure and make the sweeps wide enough to take in the general ground (not just over the target). The unit will accumulate info with each sweep, and adjust the indication. Keep in mind it does not search in this mode...only analyzes.
Jim

Offline Bradheddle

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 09:18:43 PM »
Thanks a lot Jim for the info. Happy hunting

Offline diamond jim

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 06:44:21 AM »
Glad to help out....the GMT is a great detector. Hope you find a bunch.
Jim

Offline Gregor

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 08:06:51 PM »
I own an MXT...pretty similar to your model, but it runs at a lower frequency.   The GMT find very small gold, indeed, particularly if it has a small coil.  On White's machines, the presets work pretty well.  Use them until you get really used to the machine.  Several pointers that may help are:

1. The deeper and/or weaker the signal, the less "sure" the discrimination between ferrous and non-ferrous metals. 
2. Heavily mineralized soils (lot of iron) will also hamper iron discrimination and depth.  Learn to listen for weak signals and dig. 
3. Dig if the iron probability is 50% or less. 
4. Run the gain as high as you can w/o the machine "chattering" too much, and keep SAT turned down a little less than the instructions.
5. HyperSAT may well tune out the target if you hover over it.
6. It's an old trick, but glue some practice targets to something like a poker chip.  I take a larger and a very small target with me, and use them in the field to see how deep I can hear them.
7. DD coils may pinpoint a little left of center.

Offline wituikexploration

• Province/State: Anglemont, British Columbia
  • Kudos: 0
    • Wituik Exploration Services
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 09:58:18 AM »
i recently purchased a used gmt...and have been using/learning the machine on the beach locally in the shuswap. 
The comment in this tread and available youtube video are helpful. 

thanks

Offline Pepito

• Kudos: 4
  • seek and ye shall find
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 10:43:03 AM »
I agree with D Jim, the GMT is a great detector.  If you want to get the most out of your machine (any detector) a good pair of headphones is an absolute must.  I am often alone on my claim and out in the bush with headphones on is risky.  I use a set of "Rattler" headphones which allows one ear to hear the sounds of the machine and one ear to pick up any noises in my surroundings.  I don't want to be surprised by something sneaking up behind me.  I really like the "Rattlers", they are a good quality headphone.  You can hear much better with two ear pieces but it's too risky when out by yourself.
If at first you don't succeed,  KEEP SHOVELING.