GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM
Last Shout - Posted by: Goldcrow - Thursday, 24 July 2014 04:36
That's a triple, BJ. might have to give you a kudo... [!!DANCE!!]
Welcome To The Canadian Gold Prospecting Forum.
Please consider registering to gain full access! - Its free and only takes a few seconds to complete - Click Here.

Gold Prospecting Forums, Gold Prospecting Forum

July 25, 2014, 12:47:19 PM *
A A A A
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Portable Hazardous Location Lighting
News: ★★ Join now to access the new downloads section comprising of 52
(and growing) diy prospecting equipment plans, and educational materials. Just click register, make two posts and enjoy. It's that simple!!★★

Home   Blog Search Register  

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM

Gold Prospecting Forum.

Gold prospectors forum

DIY mining equipment homemade prospecting tools.

Gold Prospecting Forums

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM mining forum, canadian prospecting forum, american gold prospecting forum. GOLD PROSPECTING EQUIPMENT

GOLD PROSPECTORS NETWORK

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Old Prospector Cabin  (Read 7703 times)
myrtle the turtle
PPT Invited
Trade Count: (0)

retired paramedic 37yrs.=camping fishing looking f

Canada Canada

Province/ State: Ontario

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 0

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 04:04:51 PM »

hi caribooau

That is an old cabin . Yes it would be nice to see more pics of hisory like that.
Just a thought to you. If that is an old miners cabin then it would stand to reason that gold was sorted or baged inside. My thought is the dirt floor [!!DANCE!!]your turn Good 

If you ain't happy   : (
What are you doing about it   : )

feeftynorth
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

Province/ State: British Columbia

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 1

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 05:03:36 PM »

Nice dovetailing and squaring up of the logs in the first pic, I am thinking Scandinavian or German prospector, and after all this time they appear to be reasonably level.  Good post, BTW, I will be up at Sheridan Lake next week Wink
CaribooAu
CGPF Sponsor

Canada Canada

Province/ State: B.C.

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 50

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who go above and beyond Forum Sponsor Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
6%

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 06:50:05 PM »

The dirt floor seem very undisturbed......I would be intresting to take A closer look... Wink........an yeah I think how ever built it sure did A awesome job an new what they were doing for sure.. Good......I know they sure built in A great area to......the gold to  <-good_>the left and right north and south of this spot is very good.........I would have loved to live in that spot in the time.. Good

May The Fever Be With You...

GPEX admin
Administrator

Larry

Canada Canada

Province/ State: British Columbia

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 45

Awards Awarded to members who go above and beyond Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
18%

WWW Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 03:42:13 PM »

Hi folks,

Good post CaribooAu, and nice contributions… I too would much prefer to have been born in the middle 1800’s era. Albeit more demanding in some ways, but by far, the more wholesome and earthy period of mankind.

The hewed logs and dovetail-corner construction are definitely from the early German pioneers. You see many of them back in Ontario (100 to 200 years old), and still in good shape, with many folks still living in them. To prep the logs, they’d line them much like chalk-lining, saw slices to that depth, then hew them (slice and chip away) manually with an adz (slicing between the feet as one positioned over them). The earlier cabins were then chinked with moss, and before the day-and-age of the saw-mill, the roof comprised of sods laid over pole rafters. No matter the age or construction, the old log cabins and homes bear an incomparable charm and allure.

I know this is a cabin post, of which I am going to contribute to, but I’d just like to add a foot-note for thought. Many of the early miners used to hide their gold stashes, which generally somewhere in the cabin or beneath the floor, in a deep hole. Look for such a trap area in the old floor boards, check around the old fireplaces, and other hiding spots.  Some did bury their little hoards outside, but definitely within full view when inside. Many a prospector perished, never more to return for the buried booty. On this note, Happy Hunting.

I am an old “cabin photographer” from way back but the majority of such is in hardcopy from the film-days of picture taking, so they’d have to be firstly scanned (when time permits). But here’s a couple to start off with.  Both of these are rather young - - from the Depression Years of the Hungry 30’s.  One of which I will render in another view under another post I plan to start - - “Changing Landscape.”

Keep the “cabins” coming gals and guys…. lets make CaribooAu’s post a mega one.

Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.
CaribooAu
CGPF Sponsor

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who go above and beyond Forum Sponsor Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
6%

WWW Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 10:41:44 AM »

Your Welcome.....Larry an all.......my claim is just off this old dovetail cabin an if I ever can acquire this ground.......I'd love to restore this old beauty......this is one of the things that bothers me with the regs now a-days........one can't build them selves A cabin........some times I think we need to go about attacking these regs like the natives an call it OUR HERRITGE RIGHTS.........here in B.C. this is how this Province was opened up - PROSPECTORS an GOLD.........What is A cabin in the bush doing to hurt the gov an why don't they want us to set up camp.........well the best I can figure out is it would be harder to give us the punt when A big intrest comes along.......what else could it be........well anyway let's get back on track......the old Jems........Like to thank ya all for posting an lets keep posting them even if the gov don't give A hoot lets show them we do........here's  another picture of A old cabin site of yesteryear's.......A scout hike to show them the outdoors an some history of where they came from.......they all had A great time an one they will take with them an hopefully it changed their outlook on life as we know it.. Good

EggyOG

United States United States

Province/ State: WI

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 0

My 30 day Activity
0%

WWW Awards
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 02:13:18 PM »

Back before I did any prospecting, there was this old cabin foundation on a small lake in Ontario.  The shaft was right there next to it and the tailings were dumped in the lake.  I always wanted to get back there with a gold detector and look for any lost pokes or any gold in the tailings but haven't figured out how since the camp I stayed at burnt to the ground. 

Michael Ogea
Great Lakes Prospector

deserdog
PPT Invited

On the creek,, moving some material!

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 4

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 06:13:58 PM »

When I first started prosepcting in the 1968, there were some old cabins from the 1860s up ion Holcombs Valley. One looked like it was built by a midget, it only had about 4 foot of headroom! But all of them have been destroyed by vandals and the numerous forest fires.

Cannot find if you do not look!
lsfog
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

Province/ State: Alberta

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 1

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 09:50:54 PM »

Many years ago on the Smoky River we came across another midget cabin. This one was only
[est.] 20 years old or so then.
A peek inside showed that thou the exterior walls were only 4 > 5 foot hi there was a full 7 > 8 feet inside.
Must have made for a warmer cozier cabin when the world got white.
CaribooAu
CGPF Sponsor

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
6%

WWW Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 12:46:34 PM »

I have run into A few small cabins like you speak of an my dad told me they were old trapper cabins built along A long trap line or lines.......they were dug in to the hill with the dirt put around the high side of the hill so water would run around the little cabin.....looked good for A few day stay an the push on to the next one......around five feet high with A bed tabled out of the earth with spruce bows for bedding.....good enough for me.

rockpup
PPT Invited

Yar der be gold in dem pans!!

Canada Canada

Province/ State: Alberta

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 6

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 07:02:54 AM »

Heres a few pics.They are on the forum all ready I do beleave.There is alot of old homesteads around southern laberta.I could spend all day taking pictures of old farm steads around here!I do like the old log cabins myself, the natural  look is cool,they seem to belong there.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: