collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Hardpan82

Dot Guests: 201 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13050
  • stats Total Posts: 131619
  • stats Total Topics: 18398
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: What do I have here?  (Read 6116 times)

Offline ryanonthevedder

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Chilliwack
  • Kudos: 18
What do I have here?
« on: May 20, 2013, 06:20:37 PM »
I found an outcrop unlike the surrounding host rock while doing some high water prospecting on my Fraser claim. I am just east of the Kwoiek fault system, and gold has been found in drips and drabs on the mountains behind me. I am just not sure what this stuff is. It appears to be a vein about 3 feet wide and disappears into the hill side under a tree.

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers

[Old attachment removed automatically]

[Old attachment removed automatically]

Offline EMF

• Kudos: 33
Re: What do I have here?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 12:41:11 PM »
It looks like tufa, which is a mass of porous carbonates that precipitate when mineral charged waters seep out onto the ground surface. It indicates the breakdown of rock with carbonate mineralization somewhere up the drainage from the tufa. If it is in a gold bearing area, you could take it as an indicator that somewhere up hill there may be a gold-bearing gossan, the rusty iron and quartz sponge-like remains of a quartz-carbonate mineral vein outcropping. When they decompose, a tufa deposit is a logical fate for the dissolved carbonates. It might be worthwhile to search the hillside above, you'll never know for sure without checking.

Offline ryanonthevedder

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Chilliwack
  • Kudos: 18
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 09:09:04 PM »
Hey thanks, thats awesome info. I was thinking it might have something to do with dissolved minerals. It looked a bit like what you might find on a stalactite, but in a vein in the ground. I'll be able to do some research on that gossan you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up!  <-good_>

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 06:58:14 AM »
Yup EMF has got it I think. A quick test with acid will confirm that it is a carbonate but the texture and the fact that it appears to have impressions of wood - not to mention actual wood caught up in it is a giveaway.
There are some places you can actually see those carboante minerals coming out of solution throughout the day. Building new rock and almost instant fossils. Very cool.  {cool^sign}
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!