GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM
Last Shout - Posted by: brotherjames - Thursday, 30 October 2014 17:26
November 16, 2014 YUKON PLACER FORUM - All who are placer miners, placer claim holders, or simply interested in current research of placer geology, placer gold recovery, and other news about the Yukon’s placer industry are welcome to attend. This is a free event - h://www.yukongeoscience.ca/documents/placer_forum_POSTER_final.pdf < >
Welcome To The Canadian Gold Prospecting Forum.
Please consider registering to gain full access! - Its free and only takes a few seconds to complete - Click Here.

Gold Prospecting Forums, Gold Prospecting Forum

October 30, 2014, 10:28:03 PM *
A A A A
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Metal Detectors
News: ★★ Join now to access the new downloads section comprising of 52
(and growing) diy prospecting equipment plans, and educational materials. Just click register, make two posts and enjoy. It's that simple!!★★

Home   Blog Search Register  

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM

Gold Prospecting Forum.

Gold prospectors forum

DIY mining equipment homemade prospecting tools.

Gold Prospecting Forums

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM mining forum, canadian prospecting forum, american gold prospecting forum. GOLD PROSPECTING EQUIPMENT

GOLD PROSPECTORS NETWORK

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New way to recover gold. Using....CORNSTARCH!!!!  (Read 2520 times)
cwalker
PPT Invited
Trade Count: (0)

Canada Canada

Province/ State: BC

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 0

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« on: May 14, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »

Havent posted here in a while but I found this on some unrelated website and thought you lot would find it interesting.

Cornstarch Replaces Cyanide In Clean New Gold Extraction Method | Popular Science

3-4 links on the page that will take you to more of the "sciencey" type stuff.

Very interesting stuff!!!

EDIT: This, looks like some kind of lab video showing something......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTG74ixGSiE

ebuyc
Weekend Prospector
PPT Invited

12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!

United States United States

Province/ State: WA

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 43

Awards Awarded to members who go above and beyond Awarding to members who made a suggestion to forum and got approved Awarded to members who help others to solve forum problems Awarding to members who have added proper about me, contact details and etc to p Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts Awarded to members who help to stop forum spam Awarded to members who report forum related errors

My 30 day Activity
12%

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »

Very cool - a buddy of mine repairs radios, computer, anything really and called me the other day asking if I wanted a shed full of motherboards from all kinds of things. I thought to myself "there are precious metals in that half a pick up load..." But told him to put the lot of Craigslist and have someone else come get it.

Now if I could leach the gold out chemically with a green enviro friendly process... very interesting indeed!

Did someone say       
rexhavoc

Somewhere in deepest, darkest Cariboo...

Canada Canada

Province/ State: Alberta

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 2

My 30 day Activity
2%

Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »

Too bad that the chlorine compound (potassium tetrachloroaurate) did not work; as chlorine solutions are cheap and readily available; bulk bromine compounds may be more expensive to procure vs say bleach and hydrochloric acid. On the other hand, gold might have gotten a lot cheaper  Shocked

I'm also not clear on what practical (and environmentally friendly?) steps would be necessary to convert ore into potassium tetrabromoaurate before the cyclodextrin precipitation step - the author used nitric acid and hydrogen bromide gas - two distinctly difficult materials to work with (the former which will may you noticed by the authorities if accumulated in bulk).

But this breakthrough might cause quite a bang in the gold from scrap electronics biz where large quantities of relatively pure alloys are already at hand..?

Comments appreciated,

coolshivers

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 19

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 12:09:49 PM »

until someone can put together a non lab version on GPEX that doens't take a rocket scienctist to implement. The cornstarch will stay in the pantry.
overtheedge
PPT Invited

Province/ State: Alaska

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 23

Awards Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 05:17:23 PM »

Folks, read the headline and then think about the actual chemistry.
Then read the article and see ... bromine-gold salts.
The gold has already been leached out by a bromine compound, not all that much different from what NaCN does.
A bromine compound such as HBr  is not safer than NaCN. Both can cause bad things to happen to the body.

This article is typical of the low quality of reporters and editorial staff working for PopSci.
And this is the reason I let my sub lapse several decades ago.
Oo, did you read the comments? One bright lad was visualizing pumping the cornstarch over the leach heap.
eric

Geo Bill

Province/ State: Michigan

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 0

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »

I read that article, seems a bit complicated for the home based gold leaching kit. I am aware of new nontoxic gold leach kits that use thiosulfate, bromine, chlorine, Iodine, and acids with catalysts. Ive heard that Iodine makes a stable compound with gold, albeit much more slowly than cyanide. I see these gold reclaiming kits on the web all the time, they're supposed to work, I also see nontoxic gold stripper for sale with plating chemicals in my jewelers catalogues. I would like to hear any feedback about what works and what doesnt. old 1970s circut boards have alot of gold on them, especially in the microchips, each little black plastic microchip has a tiny microprocessor inside soldered to a base with a droplet of gold, when you scan a large circut board there can be hundreds of these chips on them, not to mention the gold plated connector pins and "fingers" where it slides into the mother board. (or the motherboard for that matter), back in the early 90s I used to go dumpster diving and would find all kinds of electronic junk, I wasted most of it, sold the better stuff to some guys in california (like the ceramic chips). I salvaged some of the easier gold by electroplating the copper away from the pins and little copper foil fingers and  boiling the remainder in (the works) toilet bowl cleaner (it has an oxide remover called EDHA in it that removes the nickel underplating), after removing the nickel all thats left was stuff resembling shredded gold leaf which I melted by mixing it with borax on a piece of wood with a plumbers torch. a propane torch will melt gold just fine on a piece of wood with a pinch of borax (wet it so that the torch doesnt blow it all over) -- all in alll it was a total pain and probably not worth the time, a stripper that would just dissolve the gold would have been about a hundred times faster and gotten a much higher yield.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Mining Advertising

Sandvik

Unique Hits: 33250225 Total Page Views: 48498348