collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 224 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13016
  • stats Total Posts: 131036
  • stats Total Topics: 18330
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Metal Detecting Tips  (Read 10638 times)

Offline Seeker

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC Canada
  • Kudos: 9
Metal Detecting Tips
« on: December 14, 2008, 07:57:43 PM »
Some detecting tips  {cool^sign}

(1 ) Never assume an area has been "Hunted Out".

(2 ) Work The Grid.

(3 ) Look for "Repeatable" signals.

(4 ) Read The Manual many times, especially after you become more aquanted with your detector.

(5 ) Ask yourself the Question "Why did I find what I found where I found it?"

(6 ) Learn your Machine well.

(7 ) Do lots of research on the Area you are hunting and Targets you are seeking.

(8 ) Re-scan your holes after removing a target.

(9 ) Sweep Close to (or on) the surface & slowly.

(10) Turn your discrimination down and dig more targets if you want to find jewelry.

(11) Bring sample targets with you to your detecting site.

(12) Join a club.

(13) Remember: "The best discrimination is target recovery." (Dig Everything)

(14) Keep coming back to your favorite Forums and remember: No question is too dumb! (The only stupid question is the one not asked)

(15) Dig Zincs to find Wheats.

(16) Make a Test Garden.

Hopefully someone can benefit from these!   <-yes_>

Offline Eu_citzen

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Sweden
  • Kudos: 4
  • Geologists make the Bedrock!
Re: Metal Detecting Tips
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 11:02:27 AM »
Repeatable signals also means one way signals. I have made some rather nice finds on one way signals where iron was close by. <-good_>

I think sample targets take to much space for my finds. ;)
No need for that, better dig and learn; the tough way of learning will make it's way into most skulls even the thickest of the bunch. [^Crazy!#]

Same as above; no need for test gardens, better dig and learn the hard way.

Think logical, if people are at a park where is the greatest chance they'll loose stuff? The benches? The wooded areas?
Where would you travel if YOU where a tourist/person passing trough?
In other words think like the people probably would.

Also learn the nr 1 rule People are lazy and it might be much easier to answer these questions.

Adjust coils after your conditions, small coil in much trash big coil in clean ground.

In trash lower your discrimination and it will be easier for the machine to separate the targets from one another. <-yahoo_>

Hope this helps,
Eu
The rear end of a trilobite is called a trilobutt.

Offline Topcat

• Province/State: Rockingham, W.A.
  • Kudos: 0
    • Have Wheels Will Travel
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 01:36:36 AM »
One thing I have learnt to be successful is to go low & slow & above all you must have "Patience"

Cheers

Ted
Have Wheels Will Travel

Offline Wil

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 06:56:47 AM »
Don't be fooled by "air tests".  Some PI units/coils will detect a nugget just fine in the ground but will barely  register, if it  all, to an air test using that same nugget.
...Wil

Offline sniper

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 06:51:04 PM »
i find that i always do better after a good rain, so it's a good thing i live in a rain forest :)

Offline prospector1

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 06:39:36 PM »
Some detecting tips  {cool^sign}

(1 ) Never assume an area has been "Hunted Out".

(2 ) Work The Grid.

(3 ) Look for "Repeatable" signals.

(4 ) Read The Manual many times, especially after you become more aquanted with your detector.

(5 ) Ask yourself the Question "Why did I find what I found where I found it?"

(6 ) Learn your Machine well.

(7 ) Do lots of research on the Area you are hunting and Targets you are seeking.

(8 ) Re-scan your holes after removing a target.

(9 ) Sweep Close to (or on) the surface & slowly.

(10) Turn your discrimination down and dig more targets if you want to find jewelry.

(11) Bring sample targets with you to your detecting site.

(12) Join a club.

(13) Remember: "The best discrimination is target recovery." (Dig Everything)

(14) Keep coming back to your favorite Forums and remember: No question is too dumb! (The only stupid question is the one not asked)

(15) Dig Zincs to find Wheats.

(16) Make a Test Garden.

Hopefully someone can benefit from these!   <-yes_>
This is a tip in the form of my experence.as a prospector & a snow bird down in arizona winter of 1978.I bought a sd220d mine lab decter from a dealer1/2 price $2500dollars. well I was going to get rich. headed out to the desert got the book out tuned it up & set out to dig nuggets well that didnt happen.it was a year before I found my first nugget weiging in at a whole 14grains. You see I didnt know nothing about my metal dector it took me another before I new how to tune the thing,& what to listen for & what metal & gold sounded like. a smadt man that used his dector every day told me I had to practice & learn what my dector was telling me know one sound from another.so my message to u newbees practice tune wear ear phones to keep out the out side noises keep ur loop close to the ground swing slow. Also go behind other detctorist & get what they missed cause they were swing to high & to fast The biggest nugget Ive found so far was 3/4 oz, 42" deep in the arizona desert useing a 18" loop on my mine lab Im a silversmith & I make gold nugget jewerly & a lot of i & I only use the gold I find prospector1

Offline garryk50

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 09:49:54 PM »
1 more tip since the subject has come up. Don't wear steel toed boots. I learned that one the hard way.

Offline bigwavedave

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: McAllister, Montana
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 02:27:07 PM »
Another good tip is, "Don't turn your detector on with your earphones on your head especially if you're standing anywhere's close to your truck"!  ^#! Huh?  What?  Did somebody say something?  Anybody?  Hello?  Huh? <~ShOcK~>

Offline bigwavedave

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: McAllister, Montana
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 06:43:34 AM »
I don't know if this is a tip, comment, or question, and unlike my last post on the subject which came from nubie experience, this may be a little more helpful.  But, very late in the fall in fact just a day before the heavy freeze and snow came that stayed on the ground and for which I'm still waiting to thaw, a friend of mine took me out to an known nugget patch nearby for some help with my metal detecting methods.  You see, I've found my share of gold, but not with my detector and I couldn't see why.  I have found plenty of trash, and the tiniest of birdshot and and little wire from small mesh screens, but no nuggets.  That despite being in areas where small nuggets have been located in the past. My friend brought along a nugget, and while I was busy working the patch, he slipped in a couple inches under the soil just out from a rather large sage brush.  He eventually called me over and had me scan the area with my detector.  I found nothing, despite crossing over the nugget several times.  That's when he stepped in and said, "Alright, turn off your machine and try mine".  Doing so, I immediately located the nugget, though he wouldn't let me dig it yet.  "Now" he said, "turn your machine back on, and re-balance it until you can hear, the nugget".  I tried it and realized that all along, my detector was just discriminating the gold out, and I could now hear it plainly, though it had a much quieter beep, than it did if over 'trash metals'.  The other thing I noticed was that my detector only sounded off on the nugget when swung in one direction, the return swing did not register any sound.  He said that was typical, and his machine did the same.  I think I learned something there, but it was late in the evening when we went out, and as I said at the start of this, winter was on us the next day.  I can hardly wait for the ground to thaw again, so I can go back out and try.  But before I do much swinging in that patch, I'm going to try my little sample nugget in the ground there and balance my detector to pick it up.  I hope I learned something there, as digging trash for several years has been fun, but it would be nice to find what I've been after, at least once!  

Offline kety_smith

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 06:07:37 AM »
Personally for me the tips are very useful:)