collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 147 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12963
  • stats Total Posts: 130005
  • stats Total Topics: 18183
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Old Time Prospecting Methods  (Read 129233 times)

Offline EMF

• Kudos: 33
Re: Old Time Prospecting Methods
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »
Here is a different facet of old time prospecting. I found this digitized book from the Bancroft library written in 1851 by a clergyman who participated in the first part of the California gold rush. He kept a journal of his activities and based his book on it. All told, he was not impressed, but he took part in river mining and was quite descriptive on how it was done and if you read carefully you'll see where they were most likely to find the larger pieces. There was so much hardship, and too many people came there knowing nothing about mining. They had an annoying habit of calling what we know as pay streaks in the gravel as "veins," but in reading of the techniques employed in river mining I was able to understand more about the earthworks next to the creek in part of my claim. I enjoyed it and found it to be informative.

http://ia600602.us.archive.org/30/items/sixteenmonthsatg01dani/sixteenmonthsatg01dani.pdf

Offline tamarackman

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 09:47:36 PM »
wow must come back to this one thanks. 
 EMF thank you for your inspiration and willingness to share your knowledge, more kudos for you. Being from a gold silver mining area in se bc that seems to have promise I appreciate your posts. One of my claims feels right for pockets and over the last 2 yrs. I have been struggling to trace the placers, finding good float in ares but losing the trail. Finding small rotten iron stained quartz veins in slate like rock has given me promise as float values increased, but on crushing only a couple samples and not finding anything, my inexperience had led me to move on to other prospects. With new found vigour I shall continue the hunt.   

Offline EMF

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 04:13:55 PM »
tamarackman, thanks. Pocket hunting, especially at today's gold prices has the potential for a wildly successful adventure. It is also a difficult success to achieve, and not many people have what it takes to do it. It requires high levels of optimism, unfailing perseverance, knowledge of the practice and of local geology, good observational skills, a strong body and a grubstake. That's what the writers from so long ago believed, and anyone who can nurture those qualities and hunt, will eventually succeed, as inexperience transforms into experience. When you do find one, please post pictures for us to drool over.

Offline tamarackman

• PPT Invited
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 09:06:41 PM »
A wildly successful adventure sounds good to me, and yes I'll post pictures of anything worth drooling over. now all I need is more time money and knowledge, well I guess more time comes with money, so just more knowledge and a good grubstake would do. Anyway I enjoyed the read.

Offline EMF

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 06:24:49 PM »
This little book about prospecting in Nova Scotia contains tips about finding and following leads and paystreaks in glaciated country that will be useful to anyone who prospects in that kind of country.. It's titled "Prospecting in Nova Scotia."

Prospecting in Nova Scotia : Prest, Walter H : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Offline damionwaltz

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 09:54:34 AM »
So I have successfully traced a path of placer gold along the river to where it stops and am finding very course flakes.  Now this pocket mining is what I would like to do next but don't know what I am looking for.  I read the description but do you have any pics of what I am looking for as I'm sure the source is right up the hill just under my nose.  I found something that looked like a sunken gopher hole and after digging it found out it was an old gopher hole filled up, lol, kinda scary sticking my arm in all the way up to my shoulder.  Other than that there is so much dead-fall and deviations I'm not sure where to dig next.  pic would be great or further description (ie. big holes, small holes, line deviations).  Great thread and very exciting

Offline blucorundum

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 07:44:49 PM »
conditions favourable for pocket formation: 1) the lode is located in a flat-lying area. 2) the lode is oriented perpendicular to the horizon. 3) the lode is composed of mineralized rocks, which weather at a faster rate that the surrounding country rock, frequently forming a slight depression. put simply, the orebody falls in on itself. and yes there is a pocket-hunting procedure done on a grid.  there is a book called: Prospecting and Small-Scale Mining B.C.Edition. How-To Manual and Catalog, by Glenn Leaver. he is from the okanagan. if highly recommend this book to all placer miners. i use it all the time. it holds a wealth of info.

Offline Ambrose

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Mission, BC
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 10:19:24 PM »
EMF
Wonderful information as usual.  I was waiting for this.  How are you feeling by the way?
Ambrose
Ambrose
"Everyday I Learn Something New"

Offline EMF

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 11:18:01 PM »
It is exciting isn't it? The thing to do next is investigate very carefully that end point of gold appearance. Be sure you know why it is no longer found. Have you been following it in the river or beside the river? Either way, a deposit of overburden could be obscuring the trail. At the point the paystreak seems to stop, check if it has gone deeper in the ground there, and follow it if it has. If not, start digging and panning in a grid pattern working your way further and further out until you pick it up again. This can be a very laborious and time consuming thing to do, but I know of some guys in the 19th century who persisted in this after others gave up and were richly rewarded. See the post I made of the Coffee Creek gold rush for details. Use common sense to guess the path of the gold from where it seemed to stop. What you are looking for are particles of gold in your pan after washing dirt samples from your test grid. You want to see where it patterns richest, and where the boundaries of gold to no gold are, and you should stake these points as you test along. Remember to follow the trace no matter where it goes. Sorry about the lack of pictures, this is a lost art newly reviving. Perhaps you can make some of the first ever as you go along. Good luck, and don't just vanish if you succeed. Show us your success.

Hello Ambrose. I'm feeling very pained and fatigued, just what is expected when Lyme disese gets treated. Treatmnet is going well and I'll soon be adding an herbal treatment that blucorundum suggested to me. It looks very interesting, but all my spare money this month goes to maintenance fees for keeping my claims. I don't know when I'll be well enough to get to the mountains yet, this part of the treatment is very unsettling; but I'm optimistic by the reactions to treatment so far.

Offline tamarackman

• PPT Invited
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 06:57:20 AM »
Nice work Damionwaltz hope you push through and find the trail again leading you to the source. Is the area you are working have old mining, placer or hard rock?

Gear Pan