collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

pascalfortierkodibear

Dot Guests: 220 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12961
  • stats Total Posts: 129976
  • stats Total Topics: 18180
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: This is the gold panning gospel according to Johnny  (Read 26300 times)

Offline Johnny

• Province/State: Westminster, CO USA
  • Kudos: 1
  • Rocky Mountain Adventure Guide
    • Learn Gold Prospecting
This is the gold panning gospel according to Johnny
« on: January 17, 2009, 05:55:24 AM »
This is the gold panning gospel according to Johnny: Can I get a halaluja!? {-applause-}

Equipment you will need to be successful: most of this stuff you already have at home

Black or Green Plastic Gold Pan: (I've seen blue, pink, and red) black and green are opposites on the color spectrum and make a good color contrast to show the gold and make it stand apart. :o

Shovel: as big as you can stand... or as small as the job requires! <-laugh-> 

Geologist's pick: also known as a rock hammer, 'bout any hammer with the shape you need will do! ;D

All the stuff below can be found in your kitchen right now I bet... <-idea->
Magnet
Tweezers
Snuffer bottle
Small squeeze bottle of dish soap
Classifier in size 1/4 inch (4 mesh)
Small glass vial with lid

Note: The oil from your hands can float your gold off. Don't put your thumbs in the pan while panning. Use your tweezers to remove gold flakes!

Look around for the best location to pan. A rule of thumb: pick a place that is known to have gold before you go. This will save you a lot of prospecting time. Do your research look at some of the links on Learn Gold Prospecting! How and Where to find Gold and Gems! The great folks at  gpex.ca have links that take you to all the best information.

Usually I like to find a spot where the water is a minimum of six inches deep, flowing just fast enough to keep muddy water from impairing the view of your pan and a place where you can sit down comfortably.

Place the sieve over the gold pan and shovel gravels into it washing off and discarding the large stones.

Step A: Washing off larger rocks and moss

1. Fill the pan 3/4 full of gravel, then submerge it deep enough so it is just under the surface of the water. Give the pan several vigorous shakes back and forth and from side to side, but not too vigorous as to wash material out of the pan.

2. Change from the shaking motion to a gentle circular movement so the material starts revolving in a circle. This process will cause most of the dirt and clay to dissolve and wash out of the pan. Pick out the larger rocks after making sure that they are washed clean.

Repeat 1. and 2. of Step A to get the smaller rock to the surface and to cause the heavier concentrates to settle.

Step B: Washing off lighter sand and gravel

1. Hold the pan just under the water and tilt it slightly away from you. Begin to swirl the water from side to side, with a slight forward tossing motion. Take care, but with sufficient force to move the surface and the lighter gravel out over the edge of the pan.

2. Leveling the pan from time to time and shaking it back and forth will cause the light material to come to the surface and the gold to settle to the bottom.

Repeat process 1. and 2. of Step B until there is only about two cups of heavier material left in your pan. This material is usually called black sand or concentrate.

Step C: Washing off black sand and concentrates
At this point, raise the pan completely out of the water, leaving about an inch of water in the pan.

Tilt the pan slightly towards you and swirl the water slowly in a circular motion to check the pan for nuggets and pieces that are easily picked out by hand.

Remember: try to only touch the gravel that you are removing so the oil from your hands doesn't float the fine gold out of the pan.

Then submerge the pan again in water and repeat process 1. and2. of Step B for final concentration. This is the most critical part of panning. Make sure this final process is accomplished with as much diligence as possible so you do not wash out the gold.

If you have a plastic pan, the use of a magnet can quickly aid in the separation of gold from the black magnetic sand concentrate. Apply the magnet to the bottom side of the pan and move it in a small circular motion with the pan slightly tilted. This will swiftly isolate the gold from the black sand.

Pick the gold flakes out with your tweezers and put them in your small glass vial.

To speed up the final steps, squeeze a couple of drops of the dish soap into the pan. This breaks the surface tension and keeps the fine gold from being washed out of the pan. 

I know that the real beginner will find these tutorials really helpful... it is kinda booring reading all the basic stuff, but that is what really turns a hike in the woods into a prospecting adventure!
Happy Trails,
Johnny

Offline johnedoe

• Kudos: 10
Re: This is the gold panning gospel according to Johnny
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 08:11:11 PM »
Yeah I know..... this thread is from 2009.
But here is an easier way to pan and takes less time to do than read the gosple above... [^Crazy!#]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq734jtVMYI

Offline Norbert77

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 07:19:25 PM »
Could somebody explain these points to me;

Remember: try to only touch the gravel that you are removing so the oil from your hands doesn't float the fine gold out of the pan.- wha? ?

If you have a plastic pan, the use of a magnet can quickly aid in the separation of gold from the black magnetic sand concentrate. Apply the magnet to the bottom side of the pan and move it in a small circular motion with the pan slightly tilted. This will swiftly isolate the gold from the black sand. Is back sand not really sand? What gets attracted to magnets?

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 130
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 07:46:58 PM »
Hi.Norbert.Some of Jonnys are fine.But not true.If you are working in gravels and water all mourning,your hands are oil free.If you have a big piece of greasy chicken for lunch.and then stick your fingers in the pan,yes you got a oil float problem.Next never use a magnet in your pan.It will pick out your black magnitite and your fine gold along with it even if you use the magnet under the pan.You can use a magnet if your material is 100% dry and you are very carefull to take it down slow even then I discarded magnets.I just do not trust my losses.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline kcm

• Province/State: NW Minnesota
  • Kudos: 31
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 08:13:28 PM »
The face and forehead are very good at secreting skin oils. If you touch your face/forehead (like to shoo a fly), then you'll have oils on your hand(s). Some people have more oils than others, but there will be something.
The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous.

The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination.

Offline Norbert77

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 06:02:28 AM »
I understand about face, hands and oil, but I thought oil was a water surface problem.  How does it float away gold? 

Offline azau

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Arizona
  • Kudos: 7
  • If it can't be grown. it must be mined!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 09:52:15 AM »
I understand about face, hands and oil, but I thought oil was a water surface problem.  How does it float away gold?

Gold is oleophilic (attracted to oil) and if it contacts oil and if it is small enough it can be coated enough to float or be trapped in an oil film  floating on the surface of the water and float out of a pan or a sluice.   

Offline gordmanca

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 02:15:20 PM »
I'm sticking with the magnet people!
When I see with my own eye's the very little amount of gold left in the black sands after separation, I'm not worried at all. And you'll find that most magnet user's like to save all their black sands for the long cold winter ahead. Using a Miller Table or Blue Bowl to recover gold while there is 3 ft of snow outside is just to coool!
I think the only way to lose gold to black sand, is to throw out your black sand, it's patience that get's the gold. 
Self made Bullionaire.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 130
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 07:27:47 PM »
I'm sticking with the magnet people!
When I see with my own eye's the very little amount of gold left in the black sands after separation, I'm not worried at all. And you'll find that most magnet user's like to save all their black sands for the long cold winter ahead. Using a Miller Table or Blue Bowl to recover gold while there is 3 ft of snow outside is just to coool!
I think the only way to lose gold to black sand, is to throw out your black sand, it's patience that get's the gold.
Now yo are thinking.but once you learn that panning tech.of Docs you will not bother with the magnet.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Gear Pan