collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

beav

Dot Guests: 153 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12977
  • stats Total Posts: 130236
  • stats Total Topics: 18221
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Homemade trommel drive question?  (Read 5456 times)

Offline diamond jim

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 11
Re: Homemade trommel drive question?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 08:37:24 AM »
I have two dc permanent magnet motors capable of generating 68 amps each at about 700 rpm. I want to save those for generating power using water to drive them. I have seen this on the internet and there capable of producing enough juice to power several motors at once. But thats down the road abit yet. Great idea though!! Its what i eventually want to acheive. Enviromentally its the best way to produce power i think. Aside from the batterys its pretty clean power. Got a chain drive on paper now to find out what to use for a motor. The dc motors i have are permanent magnet motors and are not cheap to buy. So looking for something easier on the wallet to drive the trommel. Will have to be able to withstand about a cubic foot every minute as i have plans to feed it with a small towable excavator. One i can pull behind the quad. Then i can move my wash plant to the gold instead of having to move the gold to the wash plant. Still small in comparision to most mining you see out there but can be run by one or two people
If you do some scratching-around on the 'net, you can probably find a formula for converting the torque you need to turn your trommel, into electrical watts of power required. I did that for my mineral jig. I needed 75 watts, so used a 150 watt 12 volt motor, to give it a little comfort zone for continuous duty. You can roughly calculate the torque you need by figuring the weight of material in the trommel, and figuring how far you're lifting that weight, and the distance from the center to the outer edge of the trommel.
Jim

Offline jack

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 08:46:34 AM »

I agree - I don't think you need a lot of power. 1/2 horse is probably more than enough. HP = Torque x speed ( I think )  Lots of torque with DC

Offline Sydneycreekminer

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 03:54:23 PM »
Thank you for all the great advice!! This is fast becoming a favorite place for me. Just finished up a week of midnights so now i can get back to planning and sorting this out. Weather is turning and its looking nice out there!! Hope all have a great easter holiday!!

Gear Pan
Gold Rat