collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

BC Handymangeezir

Dot Guests: 123 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12582
  • stats Total Posts: 124312
  • stats Total Topics: 17287
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: Canadian Topo map overlay for Google Earth  (Read 19434 times)

Offline brotherjames

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 29
Canadian Topo map overlay for Google Earth
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:23:06 PM »
Found this today.

Natural Resources Canada Toporama « Google Earth Library

BJ

Natural Resources Canada Toporama
BY TOPOMATT, ON DECEMBER 18TH, 2009
Natural Resources Canada has created a digital topographic map for the entire country that can be viewed in Google Earth. The map is based on the WMS map service, which can be a little tricky to set up in Google Earth so I went ahead and set them all up. Just click on the link beneath the screenshot to access the maps. (See link above)

The main map layer (Toporama) contains all 16 of the data layers. Most people will only need to use this layer. The farther you zoom in, the more detailed the map will become. The highest detail is based on the 1:30,000 CanVec database.

I have also included each layer individually in case you just want to pick and choose which data to view. Note that each layer has different view extents, so data may not be visible if you are not at the correct zoom level.
Cheers - BJ.
Doing my part to rid the rivers of BC of their black sand.

Offline Pincher Guy

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 0
  • common sense, awareness, get ya there and back.
Re: Canadian Topo map overlay for Google Earth
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 01:16:29 PM »
Found this today.

BJ

Natural Resources Canada has created a digital topographic map for the entire country that can be viewed in Google Earth. The map is based on the WMS map service, which can be a little tricky to set up in Google Earth so I went ahead and set them all up. Just click on the link beneath the screenshot to access the maps.

The main map layer (Toporama) contains all 16 of the data layers. Most people will only need to use this layer. The farther you zoom in, the more detailed the map will become. The highest detail is based on the 1:30,000 CanVec database.

I have also included each layer individually in case you just want to pick and choose which data to view. Note that each layer has different view extents, so data may not be visible if you are not at the correct zoom level.

I am kind of lost here, not sure just what you mean. Cold you lay it out for me a little.
thank BJ
Pat
common sense, awareness, get ya there and back.
nuff said

gustavus

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:45:50 PM »
Found this today.

BJ

Natural Resources Canada has created a digital topographic map for the entire country that can be viewed in Google Earth. The map is based on the WMS map service, which can be a little tricky to set up in Google Earth so I went ahead and set them all up. Just click on the link beneath the screenshot to access the maps.

I am kind of lost here, not sure just what you mean. Cold you lay it out for me a little.
thank BJ
Pat

Overlay files used on maps are called shape files, each layer containing data is a separate shape file.

The benefit of using separate files is that you do not clutter up the landscape with unnecessary data, same thing as your GPS in the vehicle call up restaurants, motels or gasoline stations these are all overlay files which have no impact on the original map.

Offline jayjayccr

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 03:04:02 PM »
Where is the screenshot to click on?

Offline Pincher Guy

• PPT Invited
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 03:18:53 PM »
Where is the screenshot to click on?

This is what I would like to know, I tried google earth but could not figure out the screen shot
nuff said

Offline brotherjames

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 04:15:40 PM »
Hi Guys,

Here is the link Natural Resources Canada Toporama Google Earth Library

You can download the topo maps just click on the "Download with Google Earth" button on the bottom.

You can see from the link his original screen shots and I have included two with a BC reference.

To activate the topo maps scroll down the "Places" window on the left and click on "Natural Resources Canada Toporama"

BJ
Cheers - BJ.

Offline Pincher Guy

• PPT Invited
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 05:18:45 PM »
Hi Guys,

Here is the link Natural Resources Canada Toporama Google Earth Library

You can download the topo maps just click on the "Download with Google Earth" button on the bottom.

You can see from the link his original screen shots and I have included two with a BC reference.

To activate the topo maps scroll down the "Places" window on the left and click on "Natural Resources Canada Toporama"

BJ

That is great! Thank you BJ
nuff said

Offline Gold-Seeker

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 04:13:22 PM »
Yet another informative post.  With this modern technology at our finger tips one can cyber explore interesting areas and zero in on the best spot= before driving and hiking around all day.

thanx BJ ;D

Offline brotherjames

• PPT Invited
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 07:15:10 PM »
Thanks Seeker,

I tested it yesterday and sure enough there were some nice benches on a piece land I was thinking of claiming.  <-yahoo_>
Cheers - BJ.

Offline gvk

• New user
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 06:28:52 AM »
Hello,
You can also explore the Canada's topography by using this website: Canada topographic maps