collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 108 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12977
  • stats Total Posts: 130236
  • stats Total Topics: 18221
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Some info on the Cassiar region i have  (Read 3108 times)

Offline Former Guest

• New user
  • Kudos: 24
Some info on the Cassiar region i have
« on: December 24, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »
THE CASSIAR REGION

It is though by the first recorded gold in the Cassiar region was first discovered around 1861 when the bars of the Stikine were found to contain gold.
The “MCDAME” was probably the most famous of the area and the greatest producer in the area. In roughly 20 years a total of $ 1,500,000 in gold {That was recorded, who knows what the actual amount was}, this is a astonishing amount so this area has a gold history going back 120 plus years, and still counting. 
Course gold and nuggets of all sizes are still today being taken out of the ground in this area. Active mining even today is still going on today. It will go on for years to come, I predict another major strike in this area soon. The largest nugget recorded in B.C, weighing in at 73 ounces was found on “MCDAME CREEK” by Alfred Freeman around 1877.
Now this is hard to believe there is only one, somewhere there are his friends waiting to be recovered. I predict within 20 years the “CASSIAR REGION” will boom again.
App from the years 1874 to 1877 the recorded production from three creeks is mind boggling for these three rivers. The price of gold then was $ 22.50 an ounce a list;

•   DEASE   $ 808,500
•   THIBERT   $ 863,400
•   MCDAME   $ 891,600

For a total of more than $ 2,500,000 in 4 years, wow what a history we have here. “DO YOU THINK THEY GOT IT ALL”?  I really think this area requires another good look at by professionals. With modern technology and some modern equipment, and knowledge.
It is hard to believe that 100 years ago these areas were booming with miners. New towns sprang up as fast as they could build them, some overnight. Tents were used until a building could be erected of some kind. These new towns were ghost town when the miners moved on to new diggings.
This area has many miles to walk over prospecting.  All three kinds of placer gold were found here;

•   FLOOD AND FLOUR GOLD
•   COARSE GOLD
•   NUGGETS OF ALL SIZES

Many places in this area are walk in only due to the terrain of the land. A lifetime could be spent re-looking at many places left, untouched because of the rocks and other obstacles encountered.  Billions of dollars of gold came from this area in the early days. “DO YOU THINK THEY GOT IT ALL”?
Some of the creeks and rivers that produced gold in this area they are:

ALICA SHEA CREEK         MOSQUITO CREEK
      BARRINGTON RIVER         OLDBELL CREEK
      BERRY CREEK            PALMER CREEK
      BOULDER CREEK            QUQRTZ CREEK
      BUCK GULCH            RATH CREEK
      CAVE CREEK            ROSELLA CREEK
      CHUTINE RIVER            SNOW CREEK
      CLEAR CREEK            STIKINE RIVER
      DEASE CREEK            THIBERT CREEK
      DEFOT CREEK            TROUT CREEK
      DELURE CREEK            TURNAGAIN RIVER
      DOME CREEK            WHEATON CREEK
      GOLD PAN CREEK            YONS GULCH
      MCDAME CREEK

If you live in the area, it is worth taking a gold pan with you fishing. Who knows what dividends this could pay, on a fishing trip. Many gold finds started out this way.
Nuggets of up to 18 ounces have been found in this area. On Dease Creek in 1874, a piece of gold weighing 40 ounces was found, and the following year, another nugget, this monster tipped the scales at over 50 ounces. There are more of his friends waiting to be found. “DO YOU FEEL LUCKY TODAY?” Sure few more rivers meet the list also but missed cheers Ray

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Spokane Valley, WA ; USA
  • Kudos: 54
  • 12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Some info on the Cassiar region i have
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 11:17:14 PM »
Cassiar Gold Rush

In the 1870s a gold rush occurred in the region, based at McDame Creek and at Thibert Creek, a tributary of Dease Creek. In 1874, more than a million dollars worth of gold was taken from the region and in 1877, one prospector found the largest nugget ever recorded in British Columbia: a 72 ounce gold nugget, mined from McDame Creek.
Much as the Stikine Country had been affected by the rush on the Stikine River, the Cassiar Gold Rush caused the government to show an interest in the area and John R Adams was appointed as government agent for the Cassiar region in 1873, and was followed by Judge J.H. Sullivan who became the region's gold commissioner. Laketon, also known as Dease Town became the unofficial capital of the Cassiar and at the height of the rush it had five stores, four hotels, two cafes and its own newspaper. Other gold rush towns were Porter Landing and Defot. However by the 1880s most of the gold had been recovered and nearly all of the miners left the area, while only few merchants and Chinese miners remained behind. The region was also affected by the Klondike Gold Rush when in 1897-1898, 5000 miners went to the Yukon via the all Canadian route, up the Stikine River to Telegraph Creek and overland to the Teslin River.

My 2 bits ...
Did someone say       

Gear Pan