collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Slatco

Dot Guests: 167 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12990
  • stats Total Posts: 130592
  • stats Total Topics: 18276
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Predator III clean up sluice by Angus Mackirk  (Read 9406 times)

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Spokane Valley, WA ; USA
  • Kudos: 54
  • 12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!
    • My YouTube Channel
Predator III clean up sluice by Angus Mackirk
« on: December 22, 2012, 03:25:28 PM »
Angus Mackirks Predator III

Note: My model dimensions (note this is an older model and it has been changed since my purchase)

Product measurements:
Overall length: 34 1/4 inches
Inner length:   34 1/2 inches
Overall width:  7 1/8 inches
Inner width:    4 3/8 inches

Feed hopper length: 10 1/4 inches
Feed hopper width: 6 1/2 inches
Feed hopper overall height: 5 inches
Feed hopper height from top to flat shoulder edge: 3 1/4 inches
Feed hopper exit hole dimensions: 3 1/4 x 5/8 inches

Water chamber overall length: 6 inches
Water chamber interior length: 4 inches
Water chamber width: 7 inches
Water chamber inner width: 5 1/2 inches
Water chamber height: approximately 4 inches
Water chamber exit hole dimensions: 2 3/4 x 5/8 inches

Did someone say       

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Predator III clean up sluice by Angus Mackirk
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »
I already had bought a 'mini-long Tom' from Angus Mackirk a year or so ago and only ran it a few times.
Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

Well after watching Coolshivers run his Predator III sluice with the DirtHogg paydirt I decided to call Gary (Angus Mackirk) and inquire about the parts.
He gave me a great deal and I recently received the parts. If you called him I would guess the parts to be around $40-$60.

Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

So the first thing I did after receiving the parts is cut a bigger feed hole into the water chamber and fit it with a 1" PVC threaded adapter that fits the 1 1/8" bilge pump hose nicely.
Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

Then I added some foam rubber weather seal tape to the bottom side of the water chamber.
Bigger pic link

Then I added a strip of Velcro to the water chamber and the feed hopper so the feed hopper wouldn't tip over to easily.
Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

Then I added a plate to the bottom of the feed hopper so I could put more material in it.
Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

Then I added two thumbs screws for holding the water chamber down and two air hoses from my fish tank stuff for drip emitters in to the Feed hopper. I also put a chrome bar across the edge of the hopper to hold the drip emitter tubes.
Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

So that is what I threw together... time to test it!

{[update}]

Here is the raw water flow video I made for Coolshivers.

Did someone say       

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 03:26:55 PM »
I first tried fish tank air line valves for the drip emitters, but the valves were too restricted to let any water through. Even with the direct hook ups no much water comes through. I could trim the end of the tubes at an angle and put them back in to get better flow probably. But I like the way the water runs, not too much and not to little for now. BUT I am tossing the plate out after talking with Coolshivers and thinking about it more some. I am going to make a wire basket out of 1/4" hardware cloth that sits down in the lower recess of the hopper. I will also make a 1/8" bottom that can sit in the basket but be removable. Now this 'basket' is NOT for classifying!!! It is to slow the pre classified material down enough to actually load something into the hopper. As is everything falls right through at 5/8" wide!!

I will make a frame for it too next time I get to welding stuff up. I did shoot some video of the current setup running dirt I already processed and there was gold at the end!!!!!

After I make some modifications I will make another video and splice them together for a YouTube upload. One thing that TOTALLY blew my mind was running on a 1100GPH pump wide open I lifted the feed end of the sluice 60 degrees or higher to clean it out (gotta love thermo formed drop riffles sluices for the easy clean ups!) and when the sluice looked clean I put it down and looked in to check that nothing remained and WHAT??!! Fly poop to maybe 30 mesh gold REMAINED in the drop ramp riffles!! I was SHOCKED!!
Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

Bigger pic link

Very impressed with the high water flow rate compared to the size of gold recovered. Then trying to flush out the sluice and leaving that kind of gold behind! The camera couldn't pic up some of the smaller stuff in the poor lighting. I need to replace a pair of bulbs in my 4 tube over head florescent. Only two were working so kinda dark for the pictures. I guess one could look at it the other way and say less glare reflecting off the water!!

Did someone say       

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 04:37:25 PM »
I should mention I didn't have the right sized hole saw for the bigger water inlet fitting so I improvised!
I took my heat gun and warmed the plastic up until I started smelling the plastic and then took some tin snips and cut out a rough hole as close to the inside of the black line as I could. The plastic was softer enough it was like cutting butter, well maybe a little thicker ;) then I let the plastic cool down a little bit to be stiff enough to carve on it with a utility knife. I cleaned up the rough cut hole and made the inside feel smooth to the touch with no bumps, dips or burs. I then heated the plastic back up and then just screwed the fitting I wanted into the soft plastic.

In my opinion this is way better then using a tap! You are not removing material with the heat, just spreading it out leaving more plastic for the threads. Of course a perfectly round hole saw slightly smaller then the fitting would have been preferred. After cooling I screwed the piece out and thought wow those are some nice threads!

I did the same thing when I threaded the thumb screws. I just feel like they are less likely to strip out with the heating method versus a tap.

I also added two small pads of Velcro underneath the hopper so I could stand the sluice up vertically and lay against the wall without the hopper falling off.

Did someone say       

Offline coolshivers

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 19
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 08:48:29 AM »
thanks ebuyc.  I agree that the best improvment here is to replace the fitting. Angus should even do it from day one. The only issue is most garden hoses are 3/4 and most peoples pumps are smaller at arond 600gph.. (there the cheapest to buy eh)

But yes. The predator 3 loves water. It needs it to flow properally over the riffles.. Your pump at 1100 looks good. When I tried to jam 1500 through the stock fitting it still didn't work and created pressure instead of volume. The riffles need to fill up to wrok. Modifications look great here. Now if you would do mine that would be fantastic.. haha

In time I will add to this thread when I complete my mods. In the new year sometime.  I also think that if you want to auto feed it you need to make the hole in the hopper smaller. Fill it with something and drill holes in it 1/8 to a 1/4...  However with that said I am using the P3 to process bulk material including 1/8 rocks to get the bigger gold faster. The P3 is a power house and that is how I will start my recovery. Once I pull the bigger gold I will screen down and process down a P2.

Cheers

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 09:08:48 AM »
Coolshivers thanks for your help with these modifications, talking with you set me on the right path!

I mentioned that the 1" PVC female/slip male/threaded fitting fit the 1/8" hose nicely, well it fits the 1 1/4" nicely, the 1 1/8" was TIGHT and I had to work it onto the fitting with some force. I actually heated it up slightly with my heat gun to make it easier. I also wrapped the last little bit of threads with some teflon tape to ensure no leaks. Both sizes of hose will stay on the threads of that fitting with just the pressure of the hose gripping it. Adding a little teflon tape also helps ensure a tight enough fit not to blow off there too, although that is not an issue with the 1 1/8" bilge hose.
So if anyone is putting the 1 1/8" over the same fitting, take the fitting off of your plumbing to work it on there. Which brings up another point, I didn't glue the three pieces of PVC plumbing at all. You can see a little purple primer where I glued in a fish tanker air valve before going directly to the tubes. The first idea just didn't work with the small inner diameter of the valves I was trying to use.

Coolshivers - I think the P3 will catch a very high percentage of your small gold, it will be interesting to actually see what makes it to the P2!!

Did someone say       

Offline coolshivers

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 19
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 12:33:46 PM »
Another reason I went to the P3 instead of just a clean up mat is that I actually want to capture the purple garnets we have here. At least until I get tierd of it. With a mat they just sail on by and then only the flour gold gets trap. There is bigger gold around here but it is flat and the mats can see it sail on down. So the P3 should capture both. That and I HATE panning! Period. SO this is a wam bam way to getit down really fast. Wait until you see my clean up station i am building.  I also got a a really long P2 by getting a few a la cart items. Then I shouldn't have to worry about any micro losses. I noticed with the bucket sluice I had some in the last riffles. But it was also square and not a drop that contributed to exchanging smalls out!

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 01:04:06 PM »
Another reason I went to the P3 instead of just a clean up mat is that I actually want to capture the purple garnets we have here. At least until I get tierd of it. With a mat they just sail on by and then only the flour gold gets trap. There is bigger gold around here but it is flat and the mats can see it sail on down. So the P3 should capture both. That and I HATE panning! Period. SO this is a wam bam way to getit down really fast. Wait until you see my clean up station i am building.  I also got a a really long P2 by getting a few a la cart items. Then I shouldn't have to worry about any micro losses. I noticed with the bucket sluice I had some in the last riffles. But it was also square and not a drop that contributed to exchanging smalls out!

Yeah I was thinking about giving my bucket sluice to a friend. I seen a guy online chain three of them in a row.... that might work better haha..

Good point about the garnets! But I quite by accident have discovered an easier way to separate the garnets... with a classifier and up down motion that flexes the screen so on the down stroke it pushes the lights out towards the sides and on the up stroke the garnets go to the center. So back and forth and boom all the garnets are in the center. Scrape them out with a spoon and do it again to re concentrate and repeat until happy.

Original

Original

Look forward to seeing your clean up station!

My 2 bits...

Did someone say       

Offline Hegylakotm

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 01:05:15 PM »
    Hey friend ! Thanks for the garnet idea !!!! Great ! Ever You tried for pyrite ?

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 02:31:08 PM »
    Hey friend ! Thanks for the garnet idea !!!! Great ! Ever You tried for pyrite ?

No pyrite deposits for me yet - but I am sure it would work!

Gold Hogs Doc may be able to try it out, he runs into some serious pyrite down in Georgia!

Did someone say       

BC Gold