collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 153 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12992
  • stats Total Posts: 130646
  • stats Total Topics: 18282
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Silver Islet Ontario  (Read 2538 times)

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 39
Silver Islet Ontario
« on: December 21, 2012, 10:46:06 PM »
There is a very interesting place outside of Thunder Bay Ontario call Silver Islet.

Silver Islet is another of Ontario’s best kept ghost towns. It is also one of the oldest. A one time silver mining town on the shores of Lake Superior, a huge deposit of silver was discovered around 1845.

Prior to to the discovery of silver, it was used by fishing vessels and a few buildings popped up to support that industry. 

There was no easy access to the silver ore deposit for it was located on a small shoal under a limestone mesa called Thunder Cape. Initial efforts to mine the ore all proved futile.

It was as though the volatile weather of Lake Superior was to deny entrance to the ore deposit for all time to come. Several decades later the battle was joined when a new owner acquired the property. Several breakwaters were built to contain the fury of the lake’s waters. They, too, were demolished by storms, ice surges, and even a freak tidal wave.

Finally, a breakwater of rock and concrete was built that allowed miners to extract silver ore worth $3 million. In 1883, mining operations ceased for lack of fuel for the furnaces and water filled the shafts.

The island is again abandoned.  There are tailings that can be metal detected.  The old buildings are in disrepair.  Diving around the island in the cold water might prove even more productive.  The remains of an old dock can still be seen.  It remains a very unique and interesting piece of Canadian history. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline Former Guest

• New user
  • Kudos: 24
Re: Silver Islet Ontario
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:19:14 PM »
got to be some ore laying around that did not get processed i would be looking for that. Must be still some good stuff somewhere there, very nice story there interesting for sure thanks for sharing that cheers

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 39
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 04:45:16 PM »
Because it is a small island, the tailings were pretty much all deep sixed in the lake.  It is a cold lake and gets really deep quite fast.  I have not done a dive there, but would certainly need a dry suit deeper than 20 foot. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline Former Guest

• New user
  • Kudos: 24
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 05:04:48 PM »
take pails to send to the surface with ORE its there got to find it. bet they left a pile untouched when they left Ray