collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

BCGQCGoldgolfer

Dot Guests: 201 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12977
  • stats Total Posts: 130190
  • stats Total Topics: 18213
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Cobalt Ontario  (Read 7502 times)

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 38
Cobalt Ontario
« on: December 21, 2012, 10:32:26 PM »
I have made references in other post to the silver area by the town of Cobalt Ontario.  It has been productive in that I think I have found on this forum a good friend to metal detect with the next time I am up to further explore the area.  I am always open to detecting with others as I will learn as much from them as they might potentially learn from me.  Besides that, it is way more fun to share the experience with someone else and revel in their successes as I revel in their’s.

Cobalt has a very interesting history from its discovery to present day.  I used to detect it with a buddy who has since passed away.  Instead, I have been going there in the fall and would combine a grouse hunt with metal detecting.  Last year, the problem with that was I saw more partridge when I was only holding my detector and found some really interesting spot to detect when I only had my gun.  Such is life….

In 1902 the Ontario government decided to build a railway from North Bay to the small farming communities of Haileybury and New Liskeard on the shores of Lake Temiskaming. By the summer of 1903, the railway was reaching a point 103 miles from North Bay. Legend has it that one evening that summer, Fred LaRose, a blacksmith working on the construction of the railway, was in his tent when he saw a fox outside. LaRose grabbed his hammer and threw it at the fox. He missed, and the hammer clanged against a rock face. In the morning LaRose picked up his hammer, and discovered that when he had thrown it, it had chipped away some of the rock and exposed a silver vein. The Cobalt silver camp had been born.
The true stories of the discovery of silver around the Mile 103 section of the railway are not as romantic as the legend, but by the time of the first snow in November of 1903 word of the discovery had spread. By 1905 there were sixteen mines in the area, and in 1911 production exceeded 30,000,000 ounces. Cobalt was the biggest silver mining camp in the world and was known by everyone in North America who ever picked up a newspaper. Mining continued until the 1930's, then slowed to a trickle. Activity renewed in the 1950's then slowly dropped off, and there are no longer any operating mines in the area.

Historical Legacy
The silver mines of Cobalt, and the prospectors and miners that discovered them and worked the mines, have left an indelible mark on Canadian history. The discoveries at Cobalt led the way to further exploration, mining and settlement in northern Ontario and Quebec.
Cobalt was a training ground, the birthplace of hardrock mining in Canada. The ore was close to surface, which meant that men with limited experience could prospect and begin mining, and then hone their skills as the mines went deeper. Those who learned their trade in Cobalt moved north, discovering gold in Kirkland Lake and Timmins and further afield in Canada and around the world. Indeed, Cobalt remains a training ground, with the Carleton University Institute of Environmental Science holding an undergraduate field camp there late each summer.

The discoveries in Cobalt also generated considerable profits for the mining companies and royalties for the provincial government. In the book “Harvest from the Rock” Philip Smith wrote that “It was at Cobalt that Canadian financiers overcame their traditional reluctance to invest in mines, and the money that they made there encouraged them to finance the great expansion of mining that would occur in Ontario over the next half-century”.
My recommendation for anybody who wants to check out the area is to first visit the Cobalt Mining Museum in town.  It will take at least an hour to look through all of the displays, which include silver samples that are for sale and other rocks with gold from other areas of the province.  It boasts to have the largest quantity of silver samples on display in the world

The other thing to keep in mind, is the silver in the area is associated with arsenic.  As such, after any touching of rocks, it is wise to wash your hands so you do not ingest this poison. 

The best treasure story that I have heard was related to me by a friend.  He took a fly in fishing trip on a lake in the area.  The place they cooked their shore lunch  had a number of really heavy black rocks, some of which they used around their campfire.  He put some smaller ones into his pack.  Upon his return to Toronto, he found out that his samples were almost pure silver.  As far as I know, he has not pursued this further but also was unwilling to tell me exactly where he was.  Probably, that spot remains available for discovery….
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline Former Guest

• New user
  • Kudos: 24
Re: Cobalt Ontario
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »
yes sounds interesting for sure sounds like a spot worth looking at in the summer time small operation could do well there cheers

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 04:28:54 PM »
The big problem is what to do with the heavy silver rocks that you can find?  I said in another post that one clock maker sliced the rocks for clock faces.  Other than that, I have not found a market and have perhaps 1000 lbs of silver in my shed.  I love finding it, but then what?

Offline cryptic

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 01:17:22 PM »
Cobalt is a great place to find silver.  It is becoming harder to find each year because so many people visit and try to find silver.  You have to go to places where other people have not been.

Sunshine --  I think I know the person that used to slice and make clocks from the silver slabs.  They have sliced many of my rocks up. 

Here is a picture of a silver slab that I had sliced up from a rock this summer.  It was assayed at close to 4,000 oz/ton. 

There is a company in southern Ontario that I have been in touch with that said they can take the rocks and refine them.  If I remember correctly they said they would pay 85% after refining.  I will send you the name of them.

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Spokane Valley, WA ; USA
  • Kudos: 54
  • 12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 02:55:46 PM »
sunshine I would love to se some pictures of your silver specimens how there are found in nature.

I live next to the Idaho Silver Valley and find galena quite often, but not a purer silver. What host rocks does with come with or is it a mix of lead and zinc like here??

Cryptic the camera flash really washed out that picture, any more of that cool slice specimen??

Did someone say       

Offline cryptic

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 03:29:28 PM »
That was a picture without the flash from my phone.  silver is hard to photograph.  I love sharing pictures so I will get some more and post them up :)

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »
I will take some pictures of the nicer rocks and post them.  Some have silver squezing out of the vein.  Others are just big and black until broken open and you see the silver on the inside.  I have others from BC that have a nice blue cobalt stain.

Offline ebuyc

• Weekend Prospector
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Spokane Valley, WA ; USA
  • Kudos: 54
  • 12 yrs of union-demolition, show me the bedrock!
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 03:34:10 PM »
Thanks to both of you guys!

Here is the first piece of galena I found in Northern Idaho:

Bigger pic link

Did someone say       

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 03:41:39 PM »
Cryptic.  Nice slice of rock.  You are right that the easy and obvious spots close to Cobalt have been heavily picked over.  In the musium in town they sell little chips with very little sliver content for quite a bit.  I have bird hunted in the area and stumbed across some spots that are still pretty good.  It is a nice way to explore because even if I don't find a good spot to detect, I have fun and get a few birds.  I am training my dog to find sulfides, and perhaps she will be a help next time I am there.  If you find the name of the refiner, I would be interested, but the offer sounds almost too good unless they also charge you for the refining.

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »
Yes, that Idaho rock looks similar to many of the Cobalt rocks.  They really make the detector sing.